Ratings for Dr. Yves Starreveld

I was reffered to dr starreveld when it was discovered i would require surgery. I found him to be the right doctor for me as the patient. He is always willing to take time to speak with his patients, as he remarked he was suprised to not hear questions from me in the two months between consultation and surgery. He is very thorough with options and his recommendations. If you get referred to dr. starreveld to be your doctor you will be in good hands.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2017

Compassionate, really present with me, answered questions. His staff is friendly, efficient. Would highly recommend Dr Starreveld.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2017

I am extremely grateful to Dr. Starreveld and his staff for helping me . I found him and his staff to be very helpful and Karen went out of her way to arrange appointments on short notice for me as we live out of town. Dr. Starreveld (I am sure)fit me into his already busy schedule to remove my tumour resulting in the return of most of my vision. Right from my first visit with him, he made sure all my questions were answered and he was very straight forward with me . I found him very pleasant to deal with. He came out to see me before I went into the operating room and I felt very comfortable going into the surgery. My procedure involved the assistance of Dr Mechor who was also terrific to deal with. My recovery was very quick thanks to their excellent skills and caring. The nursing staff on the Neuroscience unit were incredible. I am so thrilled to have my vision back and so very thankful to Dr. Starreveld for taking on my case and helping me.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2017

I thank God for Mr Starreveld's skill every. single. day. Rest assured..this is the person you want to see. After my surgery (which I actually was very happy to be a part of) he seemed a little distant, but I can understand this. I questioned it objectively. I think Mr Starreveld could be turned against quite easily and sued by people for things that weren't actually his fault to begin with and for this reason, he needs to be somewhat careful with what he says and does pre and post prodecure. I'm speculating of course. This may be what people are misreading below(in reviews). Regardless. About 5 years ago, I began suffering headaches. The headache did not go away; I knew something was wrong. I admitted myself to ER. MRI was done fairly promptly. A large thalamic abscess was found deep in my brain; inoperable and very close to popping, releasing large amounts bacteria into the center of my brain(limbic system). This would result in either my death or severe brain damage. I was not scared. On the day of the operation I had a cage bolted to my head for stabilization during the stereo-tactic aspiration. I was glad to see junior neurosurgeons gathered around to witness and learn from the procedure. Essentially, a stereo-tactic aspiration is akin to sticking a very thin needle, strategically to minimize damage, into the abscess and vacuuming out the contents. He watches this on a screen as he's doing it to be sure. I couldn't see the screen(obviously). After the procedure which was virtually painless(i think he touched a nerve on the brain stem or something as there was a little pain, for a moment, but nothing major...again, i understand people aren't perfect...he's doing his best to save my life). I was put on antibiotics that were fed almost directly into the heart for a few months to kill any remaining bacteria(the antibiotics did the majority of any damage incurred, but were necessary). I was given a neurological exam which I passed without incident and sent home for recovery. This procedure completely fixed me, and did zero meaningful brain damage. He would have went in through the temporal lobe, as the hole was on the back side of my head and up a bit. I have no impairment with input processing, at least in my subjective view. :) I've gone on to study many things of interest. Physics(special relativity), developmental psychology, biochemistry...as much as I can possible 'stuff' into it. My memory was pretty good(referring to the results of the neuro exam) before the operation from music. I am a multi instrumentalist and had been memorizing, and memorizing and memorizing since childhood. I am lucky for my success and very grateful to have been involved, and to those who were involved. I hope he reads this and I want to tell him thank you....you saved my life. If Einstein's belief that Spinoza was correct, is correct, then Yves literally is god acting upon itself. Beauty.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017

my husband has had 3 surgeries performed by Dr. Starreveld and is about to have his 4th. He is an excellent doctor and has always answered all our questions and concerns with compassion and understanding. He puts our fears to rest every time we see him. We would highly recommend Dr. Starreveld!

flag | Submitted February 22, 2017

My 25 yo son went to Dr. S (first name Pieter Yves) for a tumor on his pituitary gland, causing Acromegaly. My son was really afraid of something going wrong, but the surgery was an 80% success, despite part of the tumor being wrapped around an artery. Dr. S was very polite, and spoke reassuringly to my son right before the surgery. He's a busy guy, so the comments on his bedside matter need to be taken with a grain of salt. He's not there to hold your hand, he's there to do a very difficult and specialized surgery... Thank God for this man and his skilled hands. I have my son back in normal condition, and now we will deal with the remaining small residual tumor with other methods. We both can't say enough good things about Dr. S and the whole Foothills team for this complicated neurosurgery. A MILLION THANKS TO DR. STARREVELD AND THE WHOLE TEAM.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2016

Dr. Starreveld was excellent. I did as much research as I could before doing the surgery so I would get the best possible care, even though it was time sensitive. If the surgeon did a botched job I would not only be permanently disabled, but possibly die (I'm in my mid 20's). Throughout all of the research I did, I found it hard to find accurate information because a lot of it was subjective and differing depending on the ailment, in my case it was a tumour. Dr. Starreveld knew exactly what was going to happen to me pre and post surgery and walked me through every step of the way. He could tell I was extremely nervous, so he allowed me to email or call him directly if I had any questions or concerns, which I did. He was extremely punctual in his response times, even though he was busy with other patients and operations. Getting surgery is scary enough, getting neurosurgery is a whole different ballgame. I understand that bedside manner is important, and I'm not saying that Dr. Starreveld doesn't have any, because he does. But before I had my surgery and was looking for the right doctor, I wanted to know that when he or she put me under to operate I was, 1. going to wake up, and 2. not going to be permanently disabled. I wasn't concerned with their bedside manner (he has great bedside manner), I was concerned with their track record of successful surgery's and if they were confident in doing the surgery, which he was. In the end, Dr. Starreveld was the best surgeon and doctor I have ever had, and I've had a lot of both. I belong to "tumour community" group, and when I told them about the size of the tumour and my recover time, they were in shock. They had never seen someone with such a large tumour have such a successful surgery. I was fully recovered in 2 months, which it usually takes 3 months, and I have NO sideeffects from the surgery. Needless to say, I am forever grateful to Dr. Starreveld and the Foothills medical team.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2016

My wife has been a patient since 2007, in a long ardious medical journey. Dr Starreveld has been dedicated and a skilled professional through out. In fact, the neurological team at FH are all outstanding.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2016

This doctor has limited bed side manners! He approach to patient care and is intimidating and unsympathetic... As an experienced patient having gone through multiple craniotomy's., My experience under his care is sub par. I recommend patients to consider other alternate means of Neurosurgury care if possible !!

flag | Submitted June 8, 2016

Terrible and in carrying. Never see him !!! He is the worst !!

flag | Submitted March 4, 2016