Ratings for Dr. Samaad Malik

I had a colon resection done by Dr. Malik and have never been treated in such a condescending, rude manner in my life. He sent me home without adequate pain control and missed the thrush I had developed in my mouth. I would never go near this arrogant man again. Horrible experience.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2017

I was referred to Doctor Malik here in Victoria, BC for Hernia surgery. I was very impressed with him and felt totally comfortable with him doing the surgery. He even phoned me at home a few days after the surgery to see how I was doing , that is the first time a doctor has phoned me at home to see how I am doing in 40 years! Before surgery I could hear him chatting with the OR team and wow, what a nice guy, and the OR staff seemed to really like him, it really made me feel good about going in for surgery. Yes, I recommend him, a great surgeon, and we are fortunate to have him here in Victoria!

flag | Submitted March 29, 2017

I was referred to Dr Malik for a surgical opinion. He was sincere and so not rushed like most doctors. I felt very comfortable with him. After surgery, he called me at home to see how I was doing...so sweet and caring! He is truly gifted in what he does. An honest, sincere and humble surgeon! I wish we had more like him!

flag | Submitted March 28, 2017

Got referred for a hernia...after months of pain... he told me no lump in your lower abdomin im not even gong to utrasound you.. months later after big complications and an ULTRASOUND boom a hernia, i will be going for surgery soon and hope he is not the referred surgeon.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2017

Dr. Malik is blunt & to the point but I appreciate the lack of sugarcoating - I want the facts. He performed a sleeve gastrectomy on me a little over a week ago. I have had zero complications from surgery and feel amazing for being only 1 week post-op. My surgery was a Wednesday & by Monday I was off all pain medication. He gave me clear instructions on what do post-op to speed healing. He was 100% accurate. He is young, eager and knowledgeable. If you need a lot of hand holding and reassurance he may not be for you. But if you're looking a clear, concise medical opinion and an intelligent Dr. I would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2017

Dr Malik was pretty offhand about the hernia surgery I would need. He strongly suggested I get laparoscopic surgery and that because I was young I would heal quickly. The surgery was a nightmare and I was released well before drugs were worn off. 6 months later I required surgery again for the same hernia. I went to Shouldice in Toronto and told Dr Malik. He was well aware they existed and had the best non-recurrence rate with their procedure (not laparoscopic) and a much faster recovery rate. Perhaps you need to get him on the right day or have the right connection with him to receive the good service some others here seem happy with? I personally can't recommend him at all.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

Dr. Malik is an excellent surgeon who cares about his patient's concerns and takes the time to answer your questions in terms you can understand. My gastrojejunostomy was complicated but a successful​ outcome was achieved. I am very happy with my situation and am very grateful to Dr. malik for his care.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2017

Dr Malik is a gift to us in Victoria. His knowledge and skill are unsurpassed. He saved my life and he is my hero.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2017

Dr. Malik has never been anything less than amazing to me. I had a gastric sleeve performed by him in January 2015 and he was excellent leading up to, during and after the surgery. #1 in my books!

flag | Submitted August 22, 2016

I'm a 53 year old man who saw Dr Malik for a laparoscopic sigmoid resection which was complicated by a fistula between the colon and bladder. Leading up to our first meeting, I was a nervous wreck - but within seconds, he instilled confidence in me to proceed with the surgery. He certainly outlined the risks and then simply asked if I would like to proceed. I recall saying to him "well I can't live like this" and his response was "well you are now". Which gave me a chuckle as it was so true... do something about my situation or continue suffering. I had surgery at 7:30 am Aug. 15 and after 3 hours of surgery - I was released Aug. 19 @ 9:30 am! All I can say is thank god I was able to be operated by this highly skilled surgeon. His surgical talents, confidence and humour left me with nothing but respect for Dr Malik and the amazing team that he had assembled at VGH. I especially enjoyed the humorous banter between Dr Malik and the sweetest anaesthesiologist ever. He visited me shortly after surgery to see how I was doing, then his extremely caring assistant would visit me daily with 2 occasions of FaceTime meetings with Dr Malik. So cool that he embraces technology to keep a personal touch with his patients. As for the operation... I walked out of the hospital with dignity (which is amazing for this kind of surgery). I have no stitches or staples, I was off all pain medication from day 4, I'm walking with minimal discomfort and I could not be happier. His assistant Sheri is equally amazing and on top of this busy man's schedule. Thank you Dr Malik for giving me back the health that diverticulitis had been robbing me for nearly a decade.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2016