Ratings for Dr. Samaad Malik

Dr. Malik removed my gall bladder, he sent me home after a 4 hr surgery with complications with NO PAIN MEDICATION!!! Who DOES THAT?!!! I had been on the patch while waiting for a major joint replacement. HOW ON EARTH can a TRAINNED SURGEON not KNOW that I would need ADDITIONAL PAIN MEDICATION on top of what I was already on AFTER YEARS of being on it??? I was left screaming in AGONIZING PAIN in post OP but THEY STILL SENT ME HOME WITH 5 large HOLES in my stomach...I screamed for days in pain. If you are thinking why didn't they go to emergency room? O I did however because I was on the patch the emergency dr treated me like a JUNKIE and discharged me! A fourty something PROFESSIONAL Female tossed out of the ER AFTER MAJOR SURGERY with no pain control ... Yes I am referring to the SHOULD BE CLISED DOWN PENNINSULA HOSPITAL Anyone who has had abdominal surgery can tell you the pain involved... Imagine gasping in agony and having to get into a car a drive to a hospital to be treated with contempt made to wait HOURS then dismissed without another thought. Just typing this I am struggling not to cry. SHAME ON YOU DR MALIK I wish the pain and humiliation visited on me back on YOU TEN FOLD. I believe I will try and take you to court for damages. I am terrified of surgery now, I have been traumatized beyond words. You should have your license REVOKED. Your lack of knowledge and compassion is APPALLING. IF you have been referred to him GET ANOTHER DR or WAIT for a GOOD surgeon DONT SEE HIM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I have nothing to gain from this. I just hope to save 1 other person from this "dr."

flag | Submitted March 27, 2017

Got referred for a hernia...after months of pain... he told me no lump in your lower abdomin im not even gong to utrasound you.. months later after big complications and an ULTRASOUND boom a hernia, i will be going for surgery soon and hope he is not the referred surgeon.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2017

Dr. Malik is blunt & to the point but I appreciate the lack of sugarcoating - I want the facts. He performed a sleeve gastrectomy on me a little over a week ago. I have had zero complications from surgery and feel amazing for being only 1 week post-op. My surgery was a Wednesday & by Monday I was off all pain medication. He gave me clear instructions on what do post-op to speed healing. He was 100% accurate. He is young, eager and knowledgeable. If you need a lot of hand holding and reassurance he may not be for you. But if you're looking a clear, concise medical opinion and an intelligent Dr. I would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2017

Dr Malik was pretty offhand about the hernia surgery I would need. He strongly suggested I get laparoscopic surgery and that because I was young I would heal quickly. The surgery was a nightmare and I was released well before drugs were worn off. 6 months later I required surgery again for the same hernia. I went to Shouldice in Toronto and told Dr Malik. He was well aware they existed and had the best non-recurrence rate with their procedure (not laparoscopic) and a much faster recovery rate. Perhaps you need to get him on the right day or have the right connection with him to receive the good service some others here seem happy with? I personally can't recommend him at all.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

Dr. Malik is an excellent surgeon who cares about his patient's concerns and takes the time to answer your questions in terms you can understand. My gastrojejunostomy was complicated but a successful​ outcome was achieved. I am very happy with my situation and am very grateful to Dr. malik for his care.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2017

Dr Malik is a gift to us in Victoria. His knowledge and skill are unsurpassed. He saved my life and he is my hero.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2017

Dr. Malik has never been anything less than amazing to me. I had a gastric sleeve performed by him in January 2015 and he was excellent leading up to, during and after the surgery. #1 in my books!

flag | Submitted August 22, 2016

I'm a 53 year old man who saw Dr Malik for a laparoscopic sigmoid resection which was complicated by a fistula between the colon and bladder. Leading up to our first meeting, I was a nervous wreck - but within seconds, he instilled confidence in me to proceed with the surgery. He certainly outlined the risks and then simply asked if I would like to proceed. I recall saying to him "well I can't live like this" and his response was "well you are now". Which gave me a chuckle as it was so true... do something about my situation or continue suffering. I had surgery at 7:30 am Aug. 15 and after 3 hours of surgery - I was released Aug. 19 @ 9:30 am! All I can say is thank god I was able to be operated by this highly skilled surgeon. His surgical talents, confidence and humour left me with nothing but respect for Dr Malik and the amazing team that he had assembled at VGH. I especially enjoyed the humorous banter between Dr Malik and the sweetest anaesthesiologist ever. He visited me shortly after surgery to see how I was doing, then his extremely caring assistant would visit me daily with 2 occasions of FaceTime meetings with Dr Malik. So cool that he embraces technology to keep a personal touch with his patients. As for the operation... I walked out of the hospital with dignity (which is amazing for this kind of surgery). I have no stitches or staples, I was off all pain medication from day 4, I'm walking with minimal discomfort and I could not be happier. His assistant Sheri is equally amazing and on top of this busy man's schedule. Thank you Dr Malik for giving me back the health that diverticulitis had been robbing me for nearly a decade.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2016

I was diagnosed for colon cancer over a month ago. I met with Dr. Malik to discuss my surgery. I am shocked that some find he is arrogant which he is definitely not. He was kind, compassionate and listened to me as I was scared and upset at the same time. He reassured me that I am in good hands and he will take care of me. I had my surgery May 17th and was in the hospital for only two days. He called after the stat holiday to see how I was doing and of course I was in pain, due to the surgery. He did call a few days later to see how I was doing, but called me again to tell me that the biopsy report has shown that I now need chemo. I started to cry and he was just silent, so that I can absorb the news and just cry. He referred me to an oncologist and the wheels are now in motion, as all this took less than a month. I had a CT scan to ensure the cancer did not spread to any of my major organs and it did not. I was told by the oncologist that Dr. Malik removed all that was in the wall of my stomach and did not go near my margins, as sometimes the most skilled surgeons do. I just want to thank you so much for your skilled hands and your passion as a surgeon. God bless you Dr. Malik and your wonderful staff.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2016

Compassionate, Skilled and a great sense of humour...really eased my nerves in the operating room...thank you!

flag | Submitted June 4, 2016