Dr. Jesse Slade Shantz
World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge
(41)

"It was a very positive experience to talk with Dr. Shantz. He is knowledgeable, friendl..." Read more

Ratings for Dr. Dean Malish

Dr. Malish is an excellent and solid surgeon that takes pride in his work. I ruptured my pec major a year ago and he reattached it to the arm. I wasn't using the arm for over 3 months and that arm is still a hair weaker than the other one because of the atrophy, but the repaired pec is actually less weakened from it than the shoulder and arm. I reflexively grabbed something that was falling three weeks after surgery and it was a very painful recovery from that point, obviously not Dr. Malish's fault. Dr. Malish was not at all sympathetic, but that's not what I'm looking for in a good surgeon. He did his job well, the repair held and my future plans are once again possible. If I ever have to be repaired again, I would feel extremely fortunate to have Dr. Malish performing the surgery.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2019

Dr. Malsh repaired my shoulder (labrum tear that resulted in frequent dislocations prior to surgery) 6 years ago. He was professional, honest, blunt (in a good way) and helpful. At the time, I felt I was almost too old for surgery (I was 28 then). Looking back, I am so grateful that Malish convinced me to go ahead with the work. My quality of life is greatly enhanced and the shoulder has held up flawlessly since the surgery. It was a daunting event for me to go through with but thankfully there are great doctors like Dr. Malish to help repair our joints. Thank you, Dean!

flag | Submitted September 27, 2018

I had a pelvic AceTabular procedure in Jan. Thanks to Dr. Malish I’m fit as a fiddle. Brilliant after care at the Diamond Centre. Thank You Dr.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2018

Dr Malish did a total knee replacement for me. The surgery went perfectly, and I am thrilled with my 'new knee' to this day. He was compassionate, informative - could not have asked for a better experience for such surgical procedure. AAAAAA++++++

flag | Submitted January 17, 2018

Saved my leg from amputation by repairing the femur and femoral neck after a mva outside the province.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2017

I ruptured my achilles tendon playing basketball in July of 2015. I opted for surgery and Dr. Malish was very knowledgable, professional, and easy to talk to. I had spinal anaesthetic so I was awake for the operation. Dr. Malish and his team did an excellent job and I was surprised how relaxed and efficient they were in the operating room. After the surgery the incision and stitches on my leg looked very clean and professional. My followup appointments went well. There were a couple of times that I came in for checkups and I was just looked over by someone from his team. It would've been nice to see him for those checkups but I wasn't having any complications and I saw that he was incredibly busy so I really didn't mind. In fact, one time I just said thank you to him as I was on my way out and he dropped whatever he was working on and came and took the time to see how my injury was healing. He also talked to me for a few minutes. I was impressed by that. I just had my 6 month post op checkup and he says it looks and feels great and that I should make a full recovery. Thank you Dr. Malish.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2016

Dr. Malish did a clavicle plate and a bone graft for my broken and not healing collarbone. He was great, very honest and straightforward with my consultation, as well he followed up with my mom post surgery and told her how everything went. He took plenty of time to talk with me after I came out of anesthetic and he answered all my questions. He was professional and easy to talk to. My collarbone and bone graft healed up well and Im back to 100% . I would recommend Dr. Malish to anyone

flag | Submitted August 31, 2015

I had a LBK amputation done by Dr.Malish back in december of 2011, would recommend him to any one needing any orthopedic surgery done. He told me after my bike accident that i would end up losing my foot for over a year he prepared me for the surgery so when the day came i was not stressed or worried. After surgery while i was in recovery He personally phoned my wife and spoke with her for over 1 hour and explained what went down and made her feel like she was a big part of the procedure. He came to rehab everyday to see how i was doing and a year after the amputation he personally contacted me to see how i was getting along. Sad to see him go to Vancouver.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2015

I had surgery for a torn labrum in my shoulder. Scheduling worked out well, I wanted a loose 6 months away and was able to lock down the date as anticipated. Malish, with me at least, was very to the point and didn't tend to be too forthcoming with details or information beyond the main important points, which was fine with me as I was able to answer most of my own questions with online research. The few questions I asked, he was happy to answer. He seems like a pretty busy guy, but this is the only surgery I've ever had so maybe that's just normal for surgeons. My recovery went just as he anticipated - he was very realistic with the timeline for certain milestones. 14 months later, my shoulder is good as new. Overall, very satisfied.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2015

I've met with Dr. Malish and he seemed like a very knowledgeable surgeon. I'm sure he would be great if you could actually get into surgery with him. I've been cancelled on 3 times by his office, and he randomly gets deployed by the Canadian Forces so be cautious. You may have to wait up to 3+ additional months to get surgery if he gets called out. My first surgery date was in mid August and I got cancelled on, bumped, and moved until his return from deployment where my date was then reestablished for January, if that give you an indication. When I asked one of the nurses about this, she said getting bumped was so common, you may even be asked to get off the operating table... Additionally, his receptionist is very disrespectful. She was unbelievably rude to me on the phone when I was simply trying to understand my situation and cancellations. I've seen her on the phone with other clients being just as rude, inconsiderate, and verbally abusive. VERY unprofessional receptionist that reflects badly on Dr. Malish. Again, I'm sure he's a great surgeon if you have the patience to get past the cancelations, and have to tolerance to deal with his rude receptionist.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2015