Ratings for Dr. Dean Malish

I ruptured my achilles tendon playing basketball in July of 2015. I opted for surgery and Dr. Malish was very knowledgable, professional, and easy to talk to. I had spinal anaesthetic so I was awake for the operation. Dr. Malish and his team did an excellent job and I was surprised how relaxed and efficient they were in the operating room. After the surgery the incision and stitches on my leg looked very clean and professional. My followup appointments went well. There were a couple of times that I came in for checkups and I was just looked over by someone from his team. It would've been nice to see him for those checkups but I wasn't having any complications and I saw that he was incredibly busy so I really didn't mind. In fact, one time I just said thank you to him as I was on my way out and he dropped whatever he was working on and came and took the time to see how my injury was healing. He also talked to me for a few minutes. I was impressed by that. I just had my 6 month post op checkup and he says it looks and feels great and that I should make a full recovery. Thank you Dr. Malish.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2016

Dr. Malish did a clavicle plate and a bone graft for my broken and not healing collarbone. He was great, very honest and straightforward with my consultation, as well he followed up with my mom post surgery and told her how everything went. He took plenty of time to talk with me after I came out of anesthetic and he answered all my questions. He was professional and easy to talk to. My collarbone and bone graft healed up well and Im back to 100% . I would recommend Dr. Malish to anyone

flag | Submitted August 31, 2015

I had a LBK amputation done by Dr.Malish back in december of 2011, would recommend him to any one needing any orthopedic surgery done. He told me after my bike accident that i would end up losing my foot for over a year he prepared me for the surgery so when the day came i was not stressed or worried. After surgery while i was in recovery He personally phoned my wife and spoke with her for over 1 hour and explained what went down and made her feel like she was a big part of the procedure. He came to rehab everyday to see how i was doing and a year after the amputation he personally contacted me to see how i was getting along. Sad to see him go to Vancouver.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2015

I had surgery for a torn labrum in my shoulder. Scheduling worked out well, I wanted a loose 6 months away and was able to lock down the date as anticipated. Malish, with me at least, was very to the point and didn't tend to be too forthcoming with details or information beyond the main important points, which was fine with me as I was able to answer most of my own questions with online research. The few questions I asked, he was happy to answer. He seems like a pretty busy guy, but this is the only surgery I've ever had so maybe that's just normal for surgeons. My recovery went just as he anticipated - he was very realistic with the timeline for certain milestones. 14 months later, my shoulder is good as new. Overall, very satisfied.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2015

I've met with Dr. Malish and he seemed like a very knowledgeable surgeon. I'm sure he would be great if you could actually get into surgery with him. I've been cancelled on 3 times by his office, and he randomly gets deployed by the Canadian Forces so be cautious. You may have to wait up to 3+ additional months to get surgery if he gets called out. My first surgery date was in mid August and I got cancelled on, bumped, and moved until his return from deployment where my date was then reestablished for January, if that give you an indication. When I asked one of the nurses about this, she said getting bumped was so common, you may even be asked to get off the operating table... Additionally, his receptionist is very disrespectful. She was unbelievably rude to me on the phone when I was simply trying to understand my situation and cancellations. I've seen her on the phone with other clients being just as rude, inconsiderate, and verbally abusive. VERY unprofessional receptionist that reflects badly on Dr. Malish. Again, I'm sure he's a great surgeon if you have the patience to get past the cancelations, and have to tolerance to deal with his rude receptionist.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2015

I am and RN at kgh. My husband had surgery it was done well. His receptionist verbally abused me on the phone. I have serval other patients expirience this. Dr mallish my advice to you...get a new receptionist. This one does not make you look professional.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2014

Excellent surgeon, very knowledgeable, personable and caring.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2014

I had my leg/ankle worked on by dr malish. I severed all the tendons and 1 of the arterys connecting my leg to the foot. I was In so much pain n discomfort up till I saw him and had surgery. I had to wait 2 days to see finally get the operation. I rated on time 5/5 still because I know how busy and important her is. I was so happy n pain free after the surgery. He repaired it like I couldn't believe. He was honest, straight to the point which is the way it should be, even if I didn't like what I was hearing. His team and staff were amazing and very friendly. I was able to laugh n joke with them before I went under. His team and himself were incredible and I would highly recommend him. Thank you to him and his team who fixed, helped and always followed up with me untill I am 100% again!!

flag | Submitted July 29, 2013

Dr. Malish was working out of Vancouver (I believe he usually works in Kelowna) and we are lucky to have him. Tore my Achilles tendon June 10, 2013 - that was the bad news. Got it repaired by Dr. Malish - that was the great news. His bedside manner was fantastic and he did a great job on the surgery. Kudos goes to hom and his whole operating team including Nurse Twee, Dr. Meikle - who did a great job on thae anaesthesia and Dr. Voorhoeve a resident surgeon who hopefully stays in Vancouver as well. I highly recommend anyone who is part of this team.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2013

Dr malish is very understanding and down to earth. Follows up personally with phone calls and questions. Very approachable. Excellent surgeon!

flag | Submitted April 3, 2012