Outstanding Staff Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Richard H. Rothman

The level of professionalism was extremely high with the successful operation, recommended PT follow-up, and concern for patient well-being. Michelle was outstanding in her attention to patient needs and detail to an outcome that provided a better quality of life after surgery. Kudos all the way around.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2017

Personable, engaged, informative, unpretentious, prompt.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2017

I found the entire experience to be one of the utmost in high quality. From the check in desks to Dr. Rothman himself, everyone went out of their way to be courteous, friendly and helpful. As a surgeon, Dr. Rothman is one of the elite. He performed total knee replacement surgery on me, and the result was a resounding success. The procedure was flawless, and my recovery has been wonderful. I am very pleased and would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Rothman. I have only one complaint, and that would be with the billing system. The Institute and the Hospital share a similar name but use totally different billing systems. When I received the invoice for my share of the bill from the Hospital I paid immediately, but unfortunately paid into the Institute billing system. The payment was accepted but dropped into some accounting black hole. After many calls to the both the Institute and the Hospital it was finally resolved and payment was sent to the correct place, but it took over 3 months to get it done. Thankfully the Hospital billing department was very patient and helpful, ultimately calling the Institute billing department directly to have the payment transferred internally. This did not diminish my opinion of Rothman as a whole, they are excellent !

flag | Submitted June 23, 2017

Every aspect of my interactions with the Rothman Institute and Dr. Richard Rothman have exceeded my expectations. They have always been punctual, friendly, thorough, and provide the highest quality of care. I recommend them with enthusiasm and without hesitation.

flag | Submitted June 6, 2017

I had two knees replaced in Nov. of 2016. I could not have been happier. I also felt like I had a special nurse just for me when I returned home. Melissa helped me whenever I called. She changed medication when I became allergic to an opioid. I was operated on Tues and at rehab the following Mon. It was outpatient rehab which was what I needed. I had to get up, get dressed, and walk steps. Getting in and out of the car was hard but helped me recover quickly. I was walking on my own in two weeks and drove in three weeks. I love the Rothman Institute and Dr. Rothman.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2017

I was a patient and experienced the worst pain I have ever had after my knee replacement. It is excruciating pain. I was given Toradal and Celebrex. I spent hours having the feeling as if I was being stabbed repeatedly over and over again. Dr Rothman never mentioned that he did not use opiods to manage pain. This was simply inhumane and cruel. 2 or 3 days of opiod use is not going to create drug addiction. Dr Rothman has simply over reacted to the opiod epidemic. Let him have this surgery and refuse to give opiod medication. I never would have had my surgery in March if I was aware that I would not receive pain management. This is archaic. I know three people who are going to a different doctor due to this. Margararet H.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2017

Dr. Richard H. Rothman's response
Dear Margaret H., Dr. Rothman absolutely prescribes opioids post operatively in the hospital to all patients unless there is a medical reason or the patient is deemed unsafe. We would love to speak with you directly about your experience to gather more details. Please contact us at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Institute

Submitted May 3, 2017

Dr Rothman clearly explained my knee replacent in detail and answered all my questions I had the same experience as tthe other patient about pain .management after surgery. This is a very painful surgery and I shouldnt have to beg for somethingto relieve my pain. Not sure whether this is Dr Rothmans decision or Jeffersons. I had horrible pain and was given celebrex. I dont think i will become an addict after 2 days on a n opiod. Just heard the same complaint from 2 other people. Its not a pulled tooth, its a major surgery. Be mindful of the patients needs. The nurses at Jefferson just got annoyed when I complained about the pain. I dont get it?

flag | Submitted April 15, 2017

Dr. Richard H. Rothman's response
Dear Patient, We would love the chance to speak with you directly to discuss your experience in more detail. If interested, please contact us at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Institute

Submitted April 17, 2017

As an addendum to a previous poor rating of Dr Rothman . He took the time out to speak with me face to face and apologize for the events that occured while at Thomas Jefferson Hospital. There was a total lack of communication by his staff. Dr Rothman is an excellent surgeon and very encouraging. But, I am not sorry that the issues were brought to his attention.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2017

i could not have been more impressed with the totality of my experience with Dr Rothman staring from when I arrived for my first appointment through my 4 week follow up appointment, which was 1 week ago. The professionalism of and level of care from everyone involved was excellent. Dr Rothman installed confidence in me from the moment I met him.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017

While I would like to give Dr Rothman 5 stars for explaining everything about my knee replacement surgery, I had a bad experience post-operatively. I was given a Spinal Nerve block which kept me numb for quite awhile. When it wore off I was give Toradal, Tylenol and low level PERCOCET. None of these helped and I was in the most excruciating pain Ive ever been in. The nurses at Thomas Jefferson were annoyed because I kept pressing the call bell. I told Dr Rothman, himself that I felt like I was being stabbed over and over. I advised him that the pain was among the worst Ive ever had..he responded that he did not prescribe narcotics. I thought doctors took an oath Do No HARM. I have had nightmares about the pain and was perplexed why a surgeon would refuse to minimize pain. Ive had many surgeries. This hurt and my pleas were ignored. I have no desire to be seen by this Orthopedic Surgeon . By far one of the worst ecperiences of my life. Post op, doc prescribed no medicine. I had to go to my prime doctor. Extremely disappointedm

flag | Submitted March 12, 2017

Dr. Richard H. Rothman's response
Dear Patient, We are terribly sorry for the experience you endured post operatively. We would love to talk with you directly to discuss this in further detail. If interested, please contact us directly at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Institute

Submitted March 13, 2017

Dr. Richard H. Rothman's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Richard H. Rothman, M.D., Ph.D. is the founder of Rothman Institute in Philadelphia, which is one of the country’s largest academic orthopaedic departments and serves as Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Thomas Jefferson University Medical School. His business interests include founding and acting as past Chairman of the Board of Specialty Care Network, a publicly held company now known as HealthGrades. He served as an advisor for the Carlyle Group and now is Senior Advisor to the Riverside Company. Among his notable achievements in the field of research was the development of the Accolade total hip system, which has become the most widely used system in the United States and predominant in Australia, Canada and Asia. He has published over 250 peer-reviewed papers and 14 textbooks. He has been on the Board of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and also a Trustee of the University of Pennsylvania and the Brandywine Museum. He is currently a Trustee of Thomas Jefferson University and serves on several industry boards.

• Univ Of Pa Sch Of Med, Philadelphia Pa 19104 (Grad. 1962)
  • University Of Pennsylvania School Of Medicine (Grad. 1962)

• Hip replacement