Dr. Chandra Dave
(20)

"The Doctor is wonderful. His receptionist is the rides person ever met in my life. She ..." Read more

Ratings for Dr. Martin Sullivan

I had a recent experience visiting Dr. Suillivan, last week. He took a look at the right foot and while his tone was a little authoritarian when asking me to stand on my heel he didn't mince words and told it to me straight. It's probably what I needed. I would prefer someone to tell it to me how it is and granted while his manner is not milk and roses, there is no BS. He could be perceived as arrogant and come across like I've seen it all before, NEXT, but he explained the procedure, recovery time and cost (I asked and received). I look forward to losing weight over the next 9 months and revisiting in preparation for surgery in a year.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2019

Dr Sullivan can be a bit awesome on the first visit. But then I often find that on dealing with specialists who are as knowledgable. Having done my research and having seen other foot specialists I knew that he was the best person to do my surgery. I never had to wait for more than about 10 minutes after my appointed time to see him, something which I saw as understanding of the fact that we all have our own time requirements. On each occasion I had a list of questions to ask and then sent an email if I needed confirmation of things we had discussed. I was contacted on each occasion the same or the next day. When I thought I may have done some damage to the foot from over-use post-op he arranged to see me in the middle of his surgery list. I am very pleased with my surgery and post-op visits and have recommended Dr Sullivan to others.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2019

I ruptured my achillies tendon in 2008. It was as a result of calcification in the tendon from 'club foot' at birth. It lasted until my late 30's. Arthritis also built up in the ankle as a result. Yes, we all know Dr Sullivan can be a bit hard to stomach personality-wise, but he is not there to be your dinner party guest but instead to impart his thorough professionalism and provide you with the best possible outcome. The pre-op appointments were good, brief and informative. My operation was a massive success and the ankle feels better now (I am in my 40's and it has been 10 years since my operation) than it did when I was in my 20's. Amazing job, amazing outcome. Do not underestimate the amount of time and effort required for rehab. As the old saying goes: effort equals reward. No surgeon can be a sole magician. Exercise is also the key! Hat's off to you Dr Martin Sullivan, you are a legend! It was this experience that led me to see Dr Michael Neil for my knee replacement surgery completed just 6 months ago. He too has done a fantastic job! read my separate review. Branko

flag | Submitted October 17, 2018

I have had 5 foot operations with Prof Sullivan since 2000 and wouldn't dream of seeing anyone else. He can be abrupt, but I am there for his surgical expertise not his bedside manner, and that cannot be faulted in my 18 years experience of being his patient

flag | Submitted September 10, 2018

I have read the other comments here and feel the need to add my experience with Martin! I had a post tib tendon transfer and excise of accessory navicular in 2016, after 2 years of awful pain and no answers from anyone! A runners Physio referred me to Sullivan - thank god. So here's the thing - yes he can come across arrogant due to his direct communication style. Certainly the first time I met him I thought that. AND no, I didn't ask many questions and so yes, I was totally unprepared for the intense recovery on my foot. But honestly? He fixed my foot. I can run again. It is a new foot! Yes it took 12 months (not the noted 6) but I didn't respect the recovery like I should have. In retrospect he did tell me everything I needed to know. I just didn't follow the advice. Foot surgery humbles you. I got my second foot done recently and couldn't be happier with my interactions with Sullivan. The only thing that changed was me. He is funny, he's direct and he's the best there is. I would never see anyone else. Google the procedure he recommends and read forums from people who have had it done so you know what to expect from a patients point of view. I emailed him a bunch of questions post consultation and he answers them all. If you take ownership of your health and recovery with him, and are firm with what you need / what you want to know, I found the whole experience as smooth as it could be.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2018

Martin has been operating on my very tricky feet and ankles since 1996. I have a fairly aggressive form of rheumatoid arthritis and have had both forefeet reconstructions as well as a triple arthredesis and numerous surgeries to my ankles including a fusion. He is an awesome surgeon and a caring human being. His knowledge of the ankle and everything down f rom that is amazing. And as a pleasant change, the reception staff at St Vinnies are also fabulous. I would not go anywhere else.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2018

I had a lisfranc injury. Martin fit me in quite early and pushed for a MRI straight away which i appreciated . He's Not a great communicator but has a lot of confidence (which i appreciated at the time). Post surgery when i was eventually allowed to begin walking the pain was much worse than prior. It took a very very long time for the sharp pain in my foot to dissipate and be able to perform a heel raise again (6-12 months. After 1 year I returned to playing sport at about 40% of my previous capacity and with the use of pain killers. 4 years later and I can do everything i could do before surgery and will get only get very mild pain after sport and morning stiffness. Iv only recently learned that lisfranc injuries and subsequent repairs are generally not a good operation and outcomes are not great generally - I think hes probably a good surgeon but don't know if i was the right person to have the surgery.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2017

I saw Prof Sullivan 6 years ago following a foot fracture and Lysfranc injury. I returned to him thinking he would help me with my increasing foot and bunion pain and disability because of this. I too found him very arrogant, brief and not willing to answer questions! How disappointing after my previous experience! He gave me a referral to have an MRI of my forefoot only even though I had most pain in the midfoot region (previous lysfranc injury). I tried to contact him prior to my MRI about having the midfoot examined but didn't hear back from his office till after my MRI with another referral (useful...not!) I live in the country so it is not easy to have to travel to have these appointments and tests. He has made the whole situation so difficult, he certainly doesn't give me any confidence in his abilities. My Podiatrist has shown me more professional care and compassion than Dr Sullivan! And I continue to suffer extreme pain in my feet every single day!!

flag | Submitted November 7, 2017

I had a bad Achilles injury that had me pretty worried. Prof Sullivan's secretary got me an appointment straight away and I had surgery within the week! Fantastic, compassionate service from everyone. Surgery went well and now I'm fully recovered. I would definitely go back again in the future.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2017

Martin Sullivan is the only foot & ankle surgeon I trust to operate on my feet. 12 years ago he basically gave me a new foot after very successful major surgery - a posterior tibialis tendon transfer - with a lot of rehab, physio & follow up work that I needed to do - and did. I have danced barefoot & cross-country skied since, with no problems. Two weeks ago Prof. Sullivan performed a smaller surgery on a toe on this foot & so far all is absolutely fine. Prof. Sullivan has always been informative & very open to answering any of my questions, as well as polite & pleasant to talk with. The most important aspects of my surgery are the surgeon's skills & positive outcomes with no complications postop or further down the track. I have full trust in Martin Sullivan as my specialist, and I'm very happy to report that these outcomes have been realised for my foot surgeries.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2017