Ratings for Dr. Nicholas John

Last saw him in 1995. He fell asleep back then every session!! I felt like he didn't care.so funny to find 20 years later he is still doing the same schtick. Stay away

flag | Submitted October 19, 2017

Dr. John has incredible insight and is an amazing doc. I have been seeing him on and off for over 10 years. I had been to a few other docs but didn't find a fit till Dr. John. He tells it like it is and encourages yo to really dig deep. He does suffer from a sleeping disorder which can make him sleepy from time to time. That has not affected his professionalism and ability to help me. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted April 3, 2017

He fell asleep during EACH SESSION! I saw him for over a year before finally reaching my limit and leaving entirely. Patients who see psychiatrists are often vulnerable and in need of help. To have your caregiver fall asleep while you divulge sensitive and difficult information does NOT instil any confidence or trust. It is the absolute opposite of helpful. When he WAS awake, I felt he looked down his nose. Had a "high and mighty", and condescending approach. He's a no-nonsense doctor, sure, but he's also an extremely condescending and belittling person. His arrogance is flawless.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2017

Dr. John is absolutely wonderful. He does not sugarcoat issues and his therapy is spot on. I have found his group therapy to be very beneficial in dealing with longterm issues in my life. I do believe that people have to be willing to face their problems head on with Dr. John, as he is a no nonsense kind of guy. I am a fan!!

flag | Submitted December 21, 2014

Dr John is absolutely excellent. I will be eternally grateful for the help he offered me when I was suffering. He is kind, intelligent and generous. His observations and comments were exactly what I needed to hear in order to move forward positively with my life.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2014

flag | Submitted August 6, 2014

I certainly can see where some of the criticisms come in: Dr. John is a very smart person who doesn't always "dumb it down" for his patients. Also, he understands that in order to help people, you have to challenge some of the defensive strategies and ideas they have erected. This is not fun for people and not everyone can take it on. Generally speaking, the psychologists and psychiatrists that make the process very easy for people are not really helping them, and those that really challenge patients are called bullies, etc. He is no bully, but a concerned and caring person who is trying to really help people, even if this means confronting them on some of their defenses. I think you will get a lot out of seeing him if you go in with the right mindset.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2013

Be Brave and go and see this Doctor. He has helped me to be happy more than any other person in my life. I have been to see him on and off for over 15 years and never once did he use "phycho-babble". He has the guts to tell you things you don't want to hear and that you will never hear from family and loved ones. He not only cured my deep depression, but has helped me give deep meaning to my life. Yes, occaisionly he gets a bit sleepy, but then he rouses himself and says something incredibly pithy that makes you see yourself in a completely new light. Also, he is probably the most intellegent and insightfull person I have ever met. Thank you Dr. John.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2012

If you are looking to be bullied, and then have him talk the psycho-babble about how you mis-interpreted it, then he is your man. He fell asleep often when listening to patients. I went to a group session for 5 months and was forced to have to politely listen to other peoples' issues (which had no effect on me). I got nothing out of seeing this therapist and had to request another.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2012

Very Knowledgeable, intuitive and perceptive. Sometimes however, operates at a level that he assumes you understand, and can quickly lose you if being able to follow a train of thought is crucial to your wellness. Now if you couple that with anxiety issues surrounding fear of sounding stupid, it makes for not a good mix. Can be a little overbearing at times, although he would often psycho-babble his way out of the insinuation. Other than helping you see the absurdity of your erroneous behavior in hopes of leaving it behind you, very little tools were provided to actually help you.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2011