Ratings for Dr. Joris Wiggers

The local mental health system is changing considerably this year. Dr. Wiggers is moving over to the Community Support Team to help treat clients with severe and persistent psychiatric disorders like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, severe addiction. This has taken him away from his regular practice and shifted some of his clients back to primary care, which has been frustrating for clients. On the other hand, there is much ground for collaboration between primary care and Dr. WIggers, who takes phone calls from GP and will gladly accept a re-referrals, yet work-capacity makes it impossible to follow everybody. Staff do not find him patriarchal but approachable and a team player, as do their clients. Case managers offers solutions around transportation. Perhaps the last writer needs a case manager?

flag | Submitted March 25, 2018

Dr. Wiggers seems to be distancing himself from his patients and is very difficult to access now. His manner has become more remote and uninvolved. A patriarchal attitude dominates his practice. Frustration was the dominant feeling I was left with after each appointment. At the end of treatment options I was not offered any further assistance that would help with my health issues. The best treatment was agreed upon by Dr. Wiggers and myself but there is no way for me to access it on my limited income. Dr. Wiggers seems to be income and status conscious which strikes me as a highly inappropriate attitude when dealing with patients. There is no support offered to his patients by Dr. Wiggers. I can't recommend this doctor over any other.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2018

He was calm, and most understanding. He really took the the time to listen to everything that had lead me to the hospital that day. He came up with a structured plan, which covered nearly all of the issues I am having. Excellent doctor, excellent staff. So very grateful.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2018

Dr Wiggers saved my life. After years of trying to get help for my severe mental health problems, I ended up in the emergency department at Nanaimo hospital. Dr Wiggers was working that day and he assesses me for about half an hour. He listened, asked questions in detail and altogether did a great assessment. In the end, he admitted me into the psychiatry unit for treatment which ultimately saved my life. I wish I could have continued working with him. I will always be thankful.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2017

Dr Wiggers seems to be changing his whole method of treating his patients. Making it more difficult to get an appointment. After 10 years of seeing him regularly and getting excellent help he seems to be abandoning his patients. I feel like he doesn't care anymore.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2017

Dr. Wiggers' co-workers and colleagues are big fans of this incredible psychiatrist--so knowledgeable and caring--he even bought the whole office lunch on Valentine's week! Thanks Dr. W!! :) You are the best!

flag | Submitted February 17, 2017

Fantastic Psychiatrist. Patient and understanding with a sense of humor.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

Dr.Wiggers is the best Psychiatrist I have ever seen. He is easy to talk to, and genuinely cares about his patients. He is good at "thinking outside the box". I highly recommend him. If you are lucky enough to have him as your Psychiatrist, don't take it for granted, because there are a lot of horrible ones out there.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2016

Exceptional psychiatrist. Listens attentively and responds with practical, creative, and up-to-date solutions. Always willing to consider options and create a plan that works. Spends time getting to know you and is committed to your care. Genuine, caring, brilliant doctor.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2016

He was really good, now he has become very mean and uncaring, and hurts me so bad when he sees me, making me really question if I deserve to even be helped at all.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2016