Dr. Pavlina P. Suchanova

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Pavlina P. Suchanova

I have suffered from chronic sinus infections and migraines and sinus headaches for at least 10+ years. I was referred to Dr. Suchanova from my Allergy Dr. after I presented with yet again another sinus infection and had a CT scan done in office. I was then referred to Dr. Suchanova whom found air pockets in my sinuses (thus creating increased pressure ie sinus headaches) and was able to offer me a balloon sinuplasty. I felt like a huge weight was lifted off me when Dr. Suchanova walked me through these issues and could actually help me. I never knew until then anything like this existed or that it would help me. I signed up for the sugery that day. She is an extremely positive and knowledgeable Dr. Not only was she very easy to talk with but she is also incredibly good at what she does. I was so happy with the in office procedure and my recovery felt very quick as I had 2 little children to get back to (surgery Friday morning and felt pretty good by sunday afternoon to take care of my kids again) . I would actually call it life changing what she has done for me. I can smell again, I have zero pressure in my face, I haven't had any sinus issues since the surgery (been about 7 weeks), I have not had one sinus headache since. I was having 1-2 sinus headaches a week and I was miserable. Im so happy she diagnosed my issues and was able to help me. I'm a busy mom of 2 and having this surgery has helped me to live a much more full and active life as I'm not dealing with sinus headaches, fewer migraines, and no sinus infections so far. I highly reccomend Dr. Suchanova. She cares about her patients and I can tell she cared about my well being and was genuinly concerned for me.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2017

Dr. Suchanova was a very skilled and passionate health care provider and I highly recommend her. I was dealing with chronic sinus issues and headaches for quite a few years, I came into the ENT clinic and received a head CT scan which showed that my sinuses had not been draining correctly for quite a while. Dr. Suchanova used a small scope and looked up my nose and diagnosed me with a deviated septum and nasal polyps. When she told me I would need to receive surgery to fix all of these things originally I was a bit worried since I’ve never had surgery and the sinus is so close to brain, but Dr. Suchanova continuously told me how I had nothing to worry about. I went ahead and got the surgery done and it was crazy the amount of change was noted. I had 1/10 at max after the surgery. The way the procedure is done I had no black eyes or any serious post op effects. I had splints placed into my nostrils which I had removed a week after surgery and it was amazing at the immediate difference I felt. I would have done the procedure sooner if I knew how painless and relieving it would have been. Dr. Suchanova was a great physician and I highly recommend her. Her nurse was also extremely knowledgeable and wiling to answer questions when I had questions!

flag | Submitted August 10, 2018

I had a severely deviated septum, closed sinuses, and all sorts of misery. Dr. Suchanova fixed all those problems, and she did so using the latest methods (many doctors do not) which gave me an excellent recovery time and essentially no pain. She is a true expert in her field. And as a bonus, she is a great communicator and will spend the necessary time to make sure all of your questions are answered. No matter what your problem is, I really could not recommend a better doctor. You will love this doctor.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2018

Thx to Dr. Suchanova I can now breathe! Her awesome bedside manners and knowledge in sinus made me feel calm about getting surgery to fix my deviated septum. Recovery is a breeze if you follow the post surgery recovery instructions and her awesome medical assistant Carolyn was always there to answer any questions I had. After constantly seeing different doctors for sinus infections and only getting antibiotics prescribed that led to stomach issues I decided to go online and found Dr. Suchanova. All the good reviews made me a little skeptical at first but after the first consult I knew she was the one that could help me. It has been 5 months since I had surgery and I now breathe like I had never before. As soon as you go to the get splints out a week later post surgery and take that first breath you could notice the BIG difference. I know recommend her to everyone I know. Thank you Dr. Suchanova you are the best.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2018

DR Suchanova is an inspiration to all! After decades of allergies and recurrent sinus infections, I was recommended to Dr. S by a friend. She performed nothing short of a miracle in the form of Endoscopic Nasal Septoplasty (to straighten a deviated septum and reduction of hypertrophic nasal turbinates) and Latera implants - no more Breathe Right band aids for me! Her minimal invasive technique meant no bruising or swelling. One week after surgery when the interior nasal “straws” came out, breathing became a new wonder to me. I had no idea what that felt like after years of thinking obstructed breathing was the norm. Dr Suchanova is one of those rare and special doctors that not only has superb knowledge, skill and state of the art operating technique, but a warm and wonderful patient manner. Her enthusiasm, compassion and excitement for successfully getting one to breathe again was much appreciated. I have, and will continue to, highly recommend her and her outstanding team to anyone that will listen!!

flag | Submitted July 1, 2018

Nose surgery. During my first follow-up 7 days after surgery, my stints came out and I took an inhale.... before I could exhale I CRIED so hard with tears of JOY that I caused a nose bleed. I was SOO HAPPY and NEVER felt this deep inhale EVER before that moment... I couldn't even exhale before I was overcome with emotion and gratefulness that Dr. Suchanova was in my life to help me live like I've never lived before. I spent decades thinking I had asthma and chronic congestion, always fatigued, lost my wind during exercise easily, and grew to learn I couldn't get rest without at least a 10 hour period of sleep. I also could never really get a deep satisfying breath through my nose and exercise was a tiring endeavor. Since my husband had his sinus surgery he had pushed me to be checked out by his surgeon, Dr. Suchanova. Dr Suchanova saw that my septum was so out of whack and my turbinates were so screwy that I would never breath well without help. I was skeptical, of course, but I had my husbands first hand testimony that he's never felt better. All my life I assumed I had unfixable asthma or lost lung capacity, you can imagine my hope when Dr. Suchanova said she could help me breath clearly. Dr. Suchanova straightened my severely deviated septum and cleared the nasal area of badly grown turbinates. After surgery, I had NO bleeding, NO bruising and had pain for about 2-3 days, was able to breath through my nose pretty well but not perfectly, and was back at work after just a week off. The best part of the experience? My 7 day followup to get the stints out. Dr. Suchanova removed them and said to take in a deep breath. I inhaled through my mouth and she says "No no, through your nose!" I was so used to breathing through my mouth I forgot I had a nose to breath from!! My first inhale was magical, Ive NEVER had this feeling of deep satisfying intake of air, I was so emotional and excited. All thanks to Dr. Suchanova who provided not only top notch surgical services, and with a staff that was attentive and treated me like their friend. My last note, The surgical hospital Dr. Suchanova uses advised that the Anesthetist was actually In-Network and that the Doctors pull together to pay the practitioner-insurance fee to make that happen (that's a huge savings as I have great insurance but Anesthetist are usually never covered). AND this surgical center was outstanding in their bedside manner, I never felt ignored. It was a great choice Dr. Suchanova made to affiliate there. She knows what she is doing... just give her a try, what do you have to lose?

flag | Submitted June 30, 2018

Amazing Doctor and excellent person. Thanks to her now I'm able to breath much better. She is really precise and her diagnostic was excellent. she uses the last technology . My surgery was perfect, and I recovered really fast.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2018

I have dealt with chronic headaches for most of my teenage and adult life and migraines but over the last 5 years, I have had persistent sinus issues, severe allergies, nasal congestion, worsening severe fatigue. And for the past 2-3 years, I would have some form of a cold (viral or bacterial every few weeks) which then progressed to having basically chronic sinusitis for the past 1.5 years. I have been on daily antibiotics for the past 1 year for other reasons which helped some but I was still easily groggy, cranky, easily fatigued, easy to get headaches, and getting sick every 3 weeks for sure. Well, a few months ago I finally was able to start being able to pay more attention to my own health after taking care of other family members and I knew it was time to see ENT because my symptoms have definitely become something that needs more than just antibiotics. I had all the symptoms: headaches, sinus pressure, and oh right sided eye pressure and drainage every single day! (I had been to eye doctors many times the past couple years and ultimately they said I had allergies and dry eye but nothing wrong...) Well, really it was the completely blocked sinus that had been pushing up and being inflamed spread the inflammation to my eyes also. Sense of taste, smell had deteriorated. And I just got tired of being sick. In comes my awesome first appt with Dr. Suchanova who recommends the CT scan. When I got the results, I found out I had a broken nose this whole time! and it was healing to one side causing a severely deviated septum, block sinus, and swelling/inflammation. So, I was to undergo repair of my nasal bone(shaving off excess), septum repair, balloon sinuplasty and implants to heal straight. She had fixed costs for me from day 1 (when we did CT) to what surgery would cost and implants. Surgery was very smooth. Staff was great at the surgery center. However, my recovery took a week. This was the first surgery of my life and quite painful and apparently I am a lightweight when it comes to meds so I slept for 5 days. I have an alternating schedule so I did end up having to take a few days off but when I went in for my 1 week follow-up and she took out the splints! WOW! What a difference. And very day has been better since then. I have had three post op visits and scheduled to have allergy testing this week. I feel so much happier, more positive, I don't wake up groggy for no reason! I love the world now. For me, it was hell for that on week as I have difficulty sitting still or in bed constantly - I like being outside doing stuff so it was hard but SO WORTH IT. I have already told numerous people to go to her as they need it and your quality of life goes up by 100 points! Thank You Dr. Suchanova!

flag | Submitted May 21, 2018

Dekuji za vase sluzby! (Thank you for the service) For years I suffered with chronic sinus, infections, and drainage problems. I went to Dr. Pavlina Suchanova for an examination and they did a CT scan. Surgery was recommended for my deviated septum and internal plugged airways. I was also tested for allergies. Surgery was completed opening my nasal passages. The results are amazing being able to breath freely again. She also had treated my wife with great results. Thank you Dr. Suchanova for the great results, with no pain and quick healing.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2018

I cannot say enough great things about Dr. Suchanova. I am 62 years old and have not been able to breathe through my nose due to nasal obstruction my entire life. Dr suchanova was the first Doctor I talked to that really cared about my problem and she discovered that I had almost 95% blockage on one side and oversized turbinate on the other resulting in my poor air flow. Five weeks ago, she performed Deviated Septum surgery, Turbinate Reduction, Balloon Sinuplasty and implanted dissolving Latera nasal implants. I had no pain at all from the surgery and the bleeding was very minimal. I did take pain pills for the first 2 days but I really did not need them. I could tell that Dr. Suchanova is very thorough in her work and everyone I encountered at the surgery center talked highly of with her. The first week was uncomfortable because my nose was stuffy due to the temporary stints and having to breathe through your mouth. I had the surgery on a Thursday and returned to work on Tuesday. Five weeks out I feel fully recovered and I am still trying to adjust to the wonderful feeling of “Normal” breathing for the first time.

flag | Submitted March 9, 2018

Dr. Pavlina P. Suchanova's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Pavlina Suchanova believes that being a successful physician is a calling, not just a profession. She is a strong communicator and easily connects with both children and adults of all ages, aiming to treat the entire family. Her excellent training and drive for continued learning enables her to treat her patients with the latest techniques and treatment protocols available, especially in the treatment of sinus problems with in-office balloon sinuplasties and in-office turbinate reduction. She also enjoys being an educator and her patients benefit from her detailed explanations of the clinical problems and treatment options. Dr. Pavlina Suchanova was born in the Czech Republic, a proud daughter of a classical pianist mother and a civic engineer father. Following in her mother’s footsteps, she initially studied classical piano but she always wanted to pursue medicine. Facing limited educational opportunities in her country, she immigrated into the United States as a teenager, learned English and was accepted at Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan, where she earned a BA in anthropology and art history. She enthusiastically continued in her studies at the University of Michigan Medical School where she also received several commendations for communication skills, bedside manner and The Art of Medicine Award. During her medical school years, Dr. Suchanova was a very active member of her community and created an anti-smoking campaign for high school students, art therapy projects for hospitalized children, and also helped to organize two medical missions to India and Cuba. She has completed her residency in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston and proudly received the Otolaryngology Resident Teaching Award during her training. She is very excited to share her training, skills and enthusiasm with her patients and colleagues at the Houston ENT & Allergy practice. Dr. Suchanova loves to stay active with swimming and weight lifting, enjoys cooking ethnic cuisines of the world, volunteering in her community and exploring Houston’s rich art and music scene. She is fluent in English, Czech, Slovak and conversational in Spanish.

• English
  • Czech
  • Slovak
  • Spanish

• University of Michigan (Grad. 2004)
  • Wayne State University (Grad. 2003)
  • Baylor College Of Medicine (Grad. 2008)

• Chronic sinusitis