Ratings for Dr. Walter Futterweit

I haven't seen Dr. Futterweit but his excellent research papers and his book, "A Patient's Guide to PCOS" are responsible for a diagnosis that improved the quality of my life. I had a variety of health complaints that were seemingly unrelated and were attended to as separate issues. I finally started researching my issues and found the dots connecting through Dr. Futterweit's research and was then able to receive the correct medical attention. Many thanks to you Dr. Futterweit, I will never stop being grateful.

flag | Submitted September 5, 2016

He does seem to have memory deficits and contradicted him self throughout the follow up appt. Refused to consult with my other doctors

flag | Submitted August 14, 2015

Dr Futterweit is one best drs I have ever worked with. He and his staff moved heaven and earth to help me receive the proper medical care I needed. He listened very carefully to my history and reviewed my piles of medical records and ask targeted questions. I would go in with stacks of research and he would answer my questions and do follow up research on new medication and their side effects. He even helped me get approval for tests that were not in his bailiwick after consulting with his collegues. He keeps up on the latest research, so when I would come in with a pub med article he would have already read it and we could have a real discussion as it related to me. my case is very complex involving doctors of many specialties - I was referred to him because my other doctor knew that he would get to the bottom of things. I can't say enough good things about Dr Futterweit and his staff.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2014

Ronnie the secretary & Lubba the assistant. Use caution with Ronnie she intitally seems genuine and nice but do know she reads ur medical file and alarmingly asks personal questions. She may even call u at home to ask "how u r feeling" --invasive & trying to seep into your life - U must carefully push her away. She envies Lubba's higher advanced medical skills and office status & Futterweit mentioned Lubba in his book - no mentionn of Ronnie! Both Ronnie & Lubba gossip about other patients. The bathroom needs redecorating and a new toilet seat. Dr. Futterweit does care about you knows more than any doctor about PCOS and I am greatful I have seen him. His treatment allowed me to have 2 children

flag | Submitted May 17, 2014

This was a traumatizing doctor appointment and I truly wish I could erase the visit from memory. Futterweit was not tracking anything I said, appeared arrogant and uninterested, was narcissistic, paternalistic, and totally patronizing. He seemed cognitively impaired and should likely no longer be seeing patients in a clinical practice. I have never written a negative review and hate doing so in this public way, but I really don't want anyone else with PCOS to suffer through an appointment with this guy as I did today.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2013

This was a complete waste of time. He should have retired. I am not being mean but I wasted good money going to him and he is not up on what is going on and told me to listen and not ask questions.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2013

Dr. Futterweit is kind, patient & caring. He is knowledgeable & still knows more about PCO's than all the other doctors I've seen put together. His staff is really pleasant and nice to deal with too. Definitely helped me.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2012

Dr. Futterweit is the best doctor I've ever had, and I trust him implicitly. The first appointment he spent over two hours with me to collect my complex family medical history. He runs blood tests that my GP says she's only heard about in med school to make sure you get the RIGHT diagnosis. He listens and is extremely compassionate. He treats the whole person, and while he seems to be making idle chit-chat, he is actually computing aspects of your life that could be further complicating your insulin levels. Because I'm an academic, he will engage me at that level and not treat me like an idiot - he recc. academic articles on PCOS and then will discuss them with me, and he will always tell me why he does or does not agree with another doctor or when the field is divided on an issue. His office staff is amazing, and Ronnie (the secretary) is one of the nicest people I've ever met. And when I have a problem, HE always gets back to me, not some lackey. This man has changed my life A++

flag | Submitted July 29, 2011

My initial visit was amazing - he spent more time gathering my (rather complex) case history than any other doctor I've ever met. He's attentive and kind and actually listens to the patient (a rarity among specialists, I've discovered). Unfortunately, he's always running about an hour late and sometimes then takes twenty-minute calls while you're sitting in his office. Nitpicking, but sometimes he says things that are a little... off. And a little patronizing. For instance, we were talking about my trouble falling asleep/anxiety, and he said, "Oh yes, women with PCOS often can't sleep because they're up worrying about their weight and hair." Not to reduce me to my disease plus blatant stereotypes or anything! But overall, Dr. Futterweit is worth the eternal waits, high fees, minor frustrations, etc. He's a great doctor and, just as importantly, a truly decent human being, and it comes across in his every interaction.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2011

great bedside manner.. a truley caring and careful doctor. Set in his ways though

flag | Submitted November 11, 2009

Dr. Walter Futterweit's Credentials

• New York Univ Sch Of Med, New York Ny 10016 (Grad. 1957)