Ratings for Dr. Steven L. PENCE

I've been seeing Dr. Pence since 2012. My friend who has anxiety had been seeing him for about a year when I had a major bout of depression. Although I wasn't his patient and had been seeing a therapist who said she could no longer help me and told me to enter a facility, he agreed to evaluate me to see if he could help. He truly saved my life. His techniques work and he's there every step of the way. Although it was a painful process dealing with my issues I would have never recovered had it not been for Dr. Pence. He has the utmost compassion for his patients and treats every patient with respect. Take it from me, I've seen therapists for years who never made a dent in my issues, seeing a Psychologist with his experience is worth every penny. He saved my life!

flag | Submitted September 24, 2016

Dr. Pence saved my life. His techniques for managing my OCD, changed everything about my life for the better. He's caring, compassionate, professional but down to earth. His techniques work. I have been battling with anxiety and OCD most of my life and he helped me be able to manage it making my life 99% better than it was previously. He is one of a kind therapist. You will not find one who is better for OCD and anxiety. Because of him I can manage my condition without any medication. Best doctor that I have ever seen. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2016

I began seeing Dr Pence in 2008 for my trichotillomania. With his help I was able to go into remission and stop pulling my hair. Over the years I've relapsed but he's always been there to help me work through it again. We also discovered that I have a slight hoarding problem. We discussed my hoarding in our weekly sessions but he also came to my house and helped me to purge my office and garage. It was quite a relief! I have since moved to Georgia but I meet weekly with Steve on Skype and with his help I am able to work through any issues that arise.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2016

I have battled with anxiety, depression, and OCD since a teenager. After countless attempts at finding an effective treatment provider I was recommended Dr. Pence. I will have to say that Dr. Pence has changed my life. At one of darkest times of my life he provided me with compassion and such effective treatment for my conditions. I have regained my life again and continue to make great strides. I would highly recommend Dr. Pence, he was literally a life saver.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2016

Best psychologist I've ever had. Very professional and welcoming

flag | Submitted August 14, 2016

Dr. Pence did intensive exposure therapy with my daughter for Social Anxiety. He is knowledgeable, explained things well, and approachable which is very important for persons with SA. Real life exposures are the heart of what he does, which is so different and more effective than talk therapy for some. You feel instantly as ease with him and that is very important for the patient to progress. I HIGHLY recommend him.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2014

I did intensive cognitive-behavior therapy (cbt) with Dr. Pence for my ocd and it helped tremendously. He is very kind and laid back. He's a pretty funny gut too. While he takes treatment seriously, he has a way of making it fun. With Dr. Pence, what you see is what you get. He is genuine and doesn't pretend to be something he's not.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2012

Dr. Pence helped me tremendously with my OCD. I recommend him very highly.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2012

My daughter suffers with trichotillomania and we brought her to a number of therapists before finding Dr. Steve. He was the only therapist who had successfully treated this problem in the past. We noticed improvement almost immediately and we now only see him on occasion for continued monitoring.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2012

Dr. Pence is compassionate and kind. I've suffered from ocd for over 25 years and he was the first doctor who had the expertise to help me to manage this painful condition. I can't recommend him enough. He saved my life.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2011

Dr. Steven L. PENCE's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Steven Pence is a fully licensed psychologist specializing in OCD and other related anxiety disorders in Bloomfield Hills, MI. Dr. Pence treats Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Agorophobia, GAD, Trichotillomania, Excoriation (Skin-Picking) Disorder, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Depression, and Selective Mutism. Dr. Pence has relocated his private practice from Florida to Michigan. 95% of his patients have OCD and or related anxiety disorders and he has seen patients from many states and countries through his intensive outpatient therapy programs. Prior to opening his own private practice, Dr. Pence completed a fellowship at the University of Florida where he focused on treating severe and refractory cases of OCD in the Department of Psychiatry and later joined the faculty of the Department of Pediatrics at the University of South Florida Rothman Center for Neuropsychiatry. He was trained by internationally recognized OCD expert, Dr. Eric Storch and was an active member of the OCD program. At these programs, Dr. Pence supervised postdoctoral fellows, psychiatry residents, & graduate students and provided lectures and presentations in the Department of Psychiatry. Dr. Pence's education includes obtaining a Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology from Michigan State University.

• Michigan State University (Grad. 2006)

• Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
  • Trichotillomania (hair-pulling disorder)
  • Anxiety
  • Body dysmorphic disorder
  • Generalized anxiety disorder
  • Panic attacks and panic disorder
  • Cognitive behavioral therapy
  • Depression (major depressive disorder)
  • Social anxiety disorder (social phobia)
  • Agoraphobia