Dr. Steven L. PENCE

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Steven L. PENCE

Dr. Pence is the best psychologist I've ever had the pleasure to work with. He is incredibly genuine, kind and compassionate. Moreover, he is extremely competent. Prior to working with him I had been to multiple residential programs, had numerous hospitalizations and received very poor outpatient care. For the first time in a decade, I am optimistic about my future and my ability to manage my OCD. I don't know where my life would be without his guidance. I don't even want to think about it. I was having a lot of suicidal thoughts until he taught me evidence-based strategies for managing my OCD. My depression lifted as he helped me overcome my OCD and now I want to live, and I believe I can have a productive life.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2017

Rare to find someone so caring and devoted to his patients. Dr Pence has been a godsend

flag | Submitted September 26, 2017

Dr. Pence has been extremely helpful giving me the tools to deal with my anxiety. He is incredibly kind and his willingness to open up and talk about his own experiences has created a trustworthy relationship that makes it easier to talk about my anxiety issues. I would highly recommend him to anyone struggling with anxiety, OCD, or similar disorders.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2017

Dr. Pence has treated our teenage son for the last six months he has been tremendous help for our son. Without Dr. Pence's treatment and knowledge of OCD I shutter to think what would have happened to our son in less experienced care. He is an expert in treating OCD and creates a plan specific to help his patients. Our son was having difficultly functioning and now he has is OCD under control he knows what it is and how he can control it himself, getting better every day. We feel very fortunate to have our son under Dr. Pence's care and expertise. I highly recommend Dr. Pence to parents looking for treatment for their child or anyone directly suffering from OCD.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2017

Dr. Pence is the best psychologist. He is kind, caring and compassionate. He is also highly competent and a true expert when it comes to treating OCD. I've seen numerous providers in various counties and he is the only one who truly grasped how to treated my OCD subtype, which he taught me was primarily obsessional. Not only that, he is a genuine person who goes out of his way to make sure that you get the best quality care.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2016

I highly recommend seeing an expert for OCD-related conditions. Dr. Pence helped me overcome my excoriation (skin-picking) disorder using HRT. I went to numerous providers before him who did not have his experience or skill-set to treat my condition. He is a compassionate and caring man. I can't recommend him highly enough.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2016

Dr. Pence is a one of a kind psychologist. He is an expert in doing ERP for OCD. I've been under his care for 6 months and he has changed my life for the better. He has a great personality and is impossible not to like.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2016

Always on time. Friendly, easy to talk to, genuine, cares about his clients. Would recommend.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2016

Working with Steve has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my life...truly, life changing.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2016

Dr. Pence is a very professional and respectable psychologist. He has been extremely helpful in treating my OCD. I have spent many years dealing with this disorder not even realizing how much it has affected me and every aspect of my life until the last 3 years. It has hindered me from being able to function on a daily basis. However, with Dr. Pence's expert research and knowledge, I have been slowly learning how to live with this disorder in a more manageable way as well as live with less anxiety, obsessive thoughts, and needless rituals. He has truly helped me in ways that other therapists have been unable to do. I highly recommend him if you struggle with OCD and want to learn how to experience relief from the stress and pain that is associated with this debilitating disorder.

flag | Submitted November 11, 2016

Dr. Steven L. PENCE's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Steven Pence is a fully licensed psychologist specializing in OCD and other related anxiety disorders in Bloomfield Hills, MI. Dr. Pence treats Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Agorophobia, GAD, Trichotillomania, Excoriation (Skin-Picking) Disorder, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Depression, and Selective Mutism. Dr. Pence has relocated his private practice from Florida to Michigan. 95% of his patients have OCD and or related anxiety disorders and he has seen patients from many states and countries through his intensive outpatient therapy programs. Prior to opening his own private practice, Dr. Pence completed a fellowship at the University of Florida where he focused on treating severe and refractory cases of OCD in the Department of Psychiatry and later joined the faculty of the Department of Pediatrics at the University of South Florida Rothman Center for Neuropsychiatry. He was trained by internationally recognized OCD expert, Dr. Eric Storch and was an active member of the OCD program. At these programs, Dr. Pence supervised postdoctoral fellows, psychiatry residents, & graduate students and provided lectures and presentations in the Department of Psychiatry. Dr. Pence's education includes obtaining a Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology from Michigan State University.

• Michigan State University (Grad. 2006)

• Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
  • Trichotillomania (hair-pulling disorder)
  • Anxiety
  • Body dysmorphic disorder
  • Generalized anxiety disorder
  • Panic attacks and panic disorder
  • Cognitive behavioral therapy
  • Depression (major depressive disorder)
  • Social anxiety disorder (social phobia)
  • Agoraphobia