Ratings for Dr. Hugh Whit Oliver

Dr. Oliver is an excellent easy going primary care physician. I have personally known him since the early 1980's and selected him as my Family Physician in 1995 when he set up practice in Tallahassee and I have stayed with him. He has always had an open heart for the underserved and income stretched patients. He is kind and a spiritual man. As a faithful Catholic, he is strictly against medicinal birth control, so if you want that, you need to get it from your GYN. He can hook you up with natural family planning classes though. He also won't just dole out pain medications, so if you think you can work that angle, he is not going to cooperate. I have been with him so long, I know if I need serious pain medication or certain anxiety medications, I just go to CHP Urgent Care where they are more accommodating of my needs . I suppose he has been used and abused in the past and leery of manipulation from patients. I wish he would realize the old time patients that have a LONG history with him aren't drug abusers and ease up on his strictness with these medications. He can see our medical history to know better. Many of my friends are his patients and we have been doled out a muscle relaxer when a narco was definitely needed for a painful back injury. This quirk isn't enough to get me to leave the practice, I just work around his personal drug policy in those areas out of respect for him. I am sure he means well and has his reasons for this policy. I have watched Office Staff come and go and I know good help is hard to find. Sometimes he has good staff and sometimes they are not very organized and miss things. He has had an ARNP on staff periodically, and that makes it easier to get an appointment for simple ailments. At the moment he is in a sole practice without an ARNP on staff. I really miss the ARNP. Punctuality is hit or miss and that is with most medical offices. He recently painted his waiting room and replaced the chairs, which was a much needed office refurbishment. Dr. Oliver isn't about flashy offices, he cares about his patients and that is his focus not a fancy office. If you want an experienced and involved as well as kind OB, he is your doctor. If you want a doctor you can cry your heart out too about life and your medical issues, he is your doctor. Just understand he is so personable that punctuality can suffer when he takes more time than his schedule plans for on a particular day. Also, be your own advocate when it comes to dealing with his office staff. If you need something done, make sure it gets done with a double check phone call. I am a loyal patient for over 20 years and not going to leave him unless he retires on me.

flag | Submitted December 14, 2016

Dr. Oliver has been my doctor for over 12 years and he has delivered three of my children. He does have a lot of patients and if its not an emergency you might have to wait a few weeks to get in to see him. But the quality of care is like none other. He does get busy at times but if you ask him to slow down he will or if you show concern he will follow up. I would rather have him the anyone else.

flag | Submitted November 26, 2014

Dr.Oliver has been my doctor for relatively a very longtime. He's a great person & a good doctor. I love him as a human-being and like him as a doctor.He use to give you the time that was needed,but now he doesn't have the time. He appears to be to busy! It kind of surprises me that he's excepted new patients when he doesn't have time for the patients he already has.Years ago he use to take/make the time and not just ask questions but listen.Now if you don't have it memorized an not able to speak it in three minutes,your out of luck. If Dr.Oliver doesn't have it written down,he's not going to remember it. Please don't misunderstand,he is a good Dr. & has the best bedside manners! There are times when certain things aren't study seriously enough! The office employees needs more training & to be more polite & thoughtful. If you need a prescription called in,it takes days. Most of the time U'll have to call them back. Wish it was the way it use to be! I travel long distances to see him! :(

flag | Submitted January 19, 2014

Dr. Oliver was my first and only Doctor since I moved to Tallahassee in 1996. Very professional and considerate of my concerns and well fare. If you want great and competent medical care he is the Doctor. Worth the wait!

flag | Submitted September 20, 2013

Staff takes forever (and in the end, they do it wrong) regarding prescriptions, etc. It might take many phone calls to the staff(my calls are days apart) to finally get it right, on numerous occasions. The doctor is great.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2013

It is always comforting to talk to Dr. Oliver, his compassion, attentiveness, and knowledge have always made my visits productive.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2013

Have been seeing Dr Oliver for 8 years. I have absolute faith in him. His staff is wonderful. Receptionist always greets me with a smile. His Office Manager has assisted me, without hesitance, with my insurance issues. She was extremely helpful and very polite.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2013

i have been a ppatient for over 33 years my entire family have been patients of dr. oliver's some have passed on to heaven while others still enjoy getting the best healthcare possible at dr, olivers office.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2012

Staff slow to follow the doctor's requests regarding his patients.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2012

Great Physician. Really wants to help. Cares about your opinion.

flag | Submitted January 1, 2012

Dr. Hugh Whit Oliver's Credentials

• Louisiana State University School Of Medicine In New Orleans (Grad. 1979)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal