Ratings for Dr. Douglas A. Shenkman

Dr. Shenkman performed a full hip replacement on my right hip in July 2016; I have very severe arthritis in both hips - bone on bone grinding and extremely painful. I am happy to tell you that my surgery went very well and the recovery was rapid. I had immediate pain relief after my old arthritic hip was removed. It was amazing and I can walk pain free....except for my left side. I am doing full replacement on the left hip in early 2017. The only choice for me is Dr. Shenkman. He never pushed me into surgery, rather telling me that I would know when the time was right. We tried therapy, pain management, and injections. Eventually none of those provided pain relief for me and i was barely able to walk. Dr. Shenkman has always spent plenty of time with me helping me to understand my condition and explained the procedure completely when I told him I was ready for a new hip. He met with me just before surgery; immediately afterward, and checked me the very next morning at the hospital and before i went home. I could never have imagined looking forward to surgery, but now that i know what i can expect, and the immediate relief I will experience, i am looking forward to surgery to replace that nagging, painful, and grinding left hip of mine. Thank you Dr. Shenkman!

flag | Submitted November 1, 2016

Dr Douglas Shenkman is incredible. Dr. Shenkman did my knee surgery in February 2014. I could barely walk when I went in after Dr shenkman's surgery ...I am walking. .. running ....the pain was gone overall ....a couple of weeks after surgery. His staff is very organized ..kind..great. Dr Shenkman explains all options thoroughly. Making surgery the last options. all though he took care of my knee with surgery. ..So glad we did. I recommend Dr Shenkman to anyone......S F Sabo.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2014

flag | Submitted August 8, 2014

Dr. Shenkman is kind and caring. He takes time to explain each issue. He runs a little behind, but makes up for it with a wonderful bedside manner. He has taken care of my whole family and only brings up surgery as a last option.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2011

Dr. Shenkman is a kind man who really took time to listen to me and to examine me thoroughly. My shoulder feels great and we got it better without surgery.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2011

Dr. Shenkman was incredible. My family has used him for years, but I never needed to until now. He was sensitive, thoughtful and took time to listen to me. He explained a few different treatment options and helped get me back to all of my regular activities. I am so thankful for Dr. Shenkman's help. He is the best and I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2011

Dr. Shenkman's office gave me the wrond brace and sent me home. He was cold, rude, and did not explain my injury to me. Two weeks later, I returned with no improvement. He is slow and has given me no treatment options. His office staff is nice, but I need a doctor who can help me. I would not recommend him.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2010

Dr. Shenkman and his staff treated my Grandmother like she was the most important patient in the office. We didn't have a very long wait and he was very thorough with us. This is one of the ONLY doctors that my Grandmother has been comfortable. Also, his intern was wonderful with her/us. She has been trying to get someone to listen to her about her injuries for almost three years. After a very thorough examination it was determinded that she would need a complete shoulder replacement. We both feel as though she is in very capable hands. I would recommend him again and again.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2009

I had to wait 1-1/2 hours to see him. He was very abrupt and cold. He gave me 3 options and told me to a treatment and he would do it. He was obsessed with my weight more than any treatment he could provide. Beware!!!

flag | Submitted January 4, 2008

A modest wait was well worth my visit. A caring and thoughtful orthopaedist who took the time to explain exactly what was going on and did not push surgery as the first option (though i eventually had him do it). i will definitely continue to see Dr. Shenkman for all of my orthopaedic needs.

flag | Submitted July 3, 2006

Dr. Douglas A. Shenkman's Credentials

• Tufts University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1995)

Henry Ford / HAP