Dr. Mark E. Zafereo

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Mark E. Zafereo

Dr. Zafereo is a very compassionate doctor and probably the very best surgeon you could have for head and neck surgery, especially for thyroid and neck procedures. I had a 7 hour procedure with Dr. Zafereo that involved removal of my thyroid and a large number of lymph nodes around my neck. I was extremely nervous about the whole procedure, given all of the risks. Dr. Zafereo and his team explained all of the risks and the procedure itself in great detail in a way that I could generally understand. Dr. Zafereo also has a great PA, Joanne Melson, who is an excellent resource for all of Dr. Zafereo’s patients. They never made me feel rushed with my numerous questions, even though they have a tremendous workload. Dr. Zafereo is also very involved after surgery, as well. He personally checked on me each day I was in the hospital instead of just sending a junior member of his team as can sometimes happen, referred me to another doctor for my scar from the procedure, and cheerfully saw me for several follow up appointments after my procedure. I feel very blessed to have been able to come to Dr. Zafereo for my care. I would highly recommend him to anyone in need of head and neck surgery.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2017

Great Dr! He was very straight forward with me on the diagnosis and treatment plan for my cancer. I feel very comfortable with his knowledge and his team. They are all very professional and caring.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2017

Dr Zafereo is a super-star doctor! His knowledge is tip/top! He cured my Stage 4 head and neck cancer! I can't say enough good words about him.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2017

Dr. Zafereo was very professional in explaining my surgery, including possible results. After a successful 10 hour surgery my aggressive cancer was removed and my recovery is great! The followup he conducted by visiting me in the hospital and the overseeing of my radiation made me confident that he was using all resources to help me. I appreciate his attention to my medical needs and obvious compassion for his patients. He shares the same belief that I have knowing God is with us!

flag | Submitted July 24, 2017

I will forever be grateful to DR Zafereo and his PA Jo Anne. In a 4 1/2 hour surgery he removed six Hurthle cell tumors, one was embedded on my trachea. Incredibly I was released from the hospital the next day and returned to Mississippi with very little discomfort. There aren't enough stars to rate this amazing surgeon. My wife and I are so thankful to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for leading us to him.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2017

He and his colleagues have been the best thing that has happened to me since finding out I had cancer. Great group.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2017

Dr. Zafereo is a brilliant surgeon who saved my life. I had an aggressive thyroid cancer and went through a 13 hour surgery. I was told only a couple of doctors could even attempt this. Dr. Zafereo was one of them. He is a special person who deeply cares about his patients. I will forever be grateful to Dr. Zafereo and his staff for what they did and continue to do for me.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2017

Dr. Zafereo saved my life! I had no idea how severe my head and neck cancer was. He developed a treatment plan for me and I am celebrating my third year as a survivor. I had a 10 hour surgery with a neck dissection that required plastic surgery, blood transfusions and radiation. I spent a week in the hospital following surgery. Dr. Zafereo has a great bedside manner. He is knowledgeable and great under pressure. He will explain the procedure to you and will continue to support you treatment and recovery. I will continue to recommend him to anyone. MD Anderson is lucky to have a surgeon and faculty member like him.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2017

Dr Zafereo was very pleasant and professional. I was very impressed with his professionalism. He even stopped by my room at 12 Midnight the day of my surgery to check on me. I highly recommend him and his staff.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2017

Pleasant compassionate Physician and surgeon, highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2017

Dr. Mark E. Zafereo's Credentials

• University Of Texas Medical School At Houston (Grad. 2005)