Ratings for Dr. Cory Alfers

one time over the phone consultation. did not listen. presumptive.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2016

Dr. Alfers was kind, considerate, and worked with me, rather than tried to convince me, to find the best way to deal with my ADHD. Though I saw him mostly for med management, I know I can trust his opinion and would have been happy to work with him for more counselling, had I been in the market for that. I cannot recommend him highly enough.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2016

Dr. Alfers was very easy to talk to and made me feel very comfortable. We were quickly able to work together and develop a plan and evaluate progress within the first few months. He was very honest, but very respectful. I'm extremely pleased with the progress I made while seeing Dr. Alfers.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2015

I have never had a better experience with any other Doctor, and could not imagine how I could treated any better. He took great care in listening to my concerns and my personal situation and was always available whenever I had questions or concerns.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2015

I was recommended Dr. Cory Alfers in October of 2013 by a colleague of mine who was a patient of his. I have been been undergoing talk therapy with Dr. Alfers on a weekly basis since then. I would highly recommend him to any prospective patients. Throughout all the time I have interacted with Dr. Alfers, he has conducted himself in a patient and friendly manner. He has responded to phone calls and emails in a timely fashion, and warned me in advance of any interruptions in our scheduling due to holidays, vacations, etc. I believe one incident in particular exemplifies his courteousness toward his patients. After one session I inadvertently left my phone and wallet in his office. It happened to be a holiday and in the evening, so when I left his office's building, the door locked behind me. Later I learned when he realized I left my phone and wallet, he went outside looking for me in an effort to return it to me. When I got in touch with him via email, he went so far as to offer to meet me somewhere near my workplace during his morning commute in order to return the phone and wallet to me. I didn't want to inconvenience him further, so I elected to stop by his office instead. When the original time I had selected to come to pick up my wallet and phone became untenable due to conflicts with my work, he acknowledged my change in schedule without complaint. There are, of course, drawbacks to my consultation with Dr. Alfers, as with all things. He is outside my network for my health insurance, so he charges me directly and I receive a reimbursement from my insurance company. This is not an unusual arrangement for psychiatrists, and I, like many others, had some hiccups first getting this arrangement working. Once I got past the initial issues, however, filling the requisite paperwork became an easy, almost autonomic activity. Further, Dr. Alfers is a psychiatrist per se and does not provide comprehensive care. In January of 2014 I was diagnosed by a different physician with a chronic physiological issue that had likely been affecting me for most of my life. At some point between October of 2013 and January of 2014, in response to my descriptions of unwanted nocturnal awakenings, Dr. Alfers mentioned he could prescribe a sedative to help me sleep. However, I never elected to consult with Dr. Alfers about sedative medication, so nothing ever came of this. This was fortunate in light of the later diagnosis for my chronic physiological issue, as sedative use can be dangerous with my condition. Since the condition was undiagnosed at the time, there was nothing negligent on Dr. Alfers' part. Indeed, he would have been negligent not to mention this option. All of this merely underscores the importance of taking a comprehensive approach to one's own health care, whether that is by way of consultation with a primary care physician or by way of managing one's own health and seeing the necessary specialists directly. As it turns out, the combination of seeing a specialist for my physiological issue and Dr. Alfers for the consequent emotional issues has worked out for me quite well. Most of the encounters I have had with medical professionals have left me disappointed or underwhelmed. My therapy with Dr. Alfers has been the one exception to this rule. I have been thoroughly pleased with the care he has provided and would highly recommend him to others.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2015

I was beyond impressed with my experience with Dr. Alfers. I was completely blown away by how helpful and kind he was and how fast he was at getting back to me! Dr. Alfers was really knowledgeable and made me feel comfortable throughout the appointment. I would highly recommend to friends and family!

flag | Submitted February 27, 2015

Dr. Alfers was Very Helpful! I would recommend him to friends and family.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2015

Doctor Alfers is a caring and involved practitioner. He took the time to know me as a patient. In particular, he recognized that my previous diagnosis was too simple. He recognized additional clinical symptoms I suffered from. I am thankful for this. His billing system is also automated and convenient.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2015

Dr. Cory Alfers's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Cory Alfers is a psychiatrist in Arlington VA who understands how adult ADHD, depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder impact the fast-paced and complex lives of professionals. He completed his training as the chief resident in Psychiatry at Georgetown University Hospital.

• English

• Western University of Health Sciences (Grad. 2007)
  • Georgetown University (Grad. 2011)