Ratings for Dr. Stephen B. Murphy

I went to Dr. Murphy for a new replacement have to be turned down by four of the surgeons. Because of the trauma I received over the years I was told it was almost impossible to attach a new knee. After examination by Dr. Murphy he said it was probably the worst knee he has ever seen in his 26 is as a surgeon. I now have a new me and I thank the good Lord every day that I was able to find a surgeonwith the knowledge and integrity of Dr. Murphy

flag | Submitted August 14, 2015

Hip replaced August 2014. Back to work in one week. Off crutches and cane in two weeks. Physical therapists are impressed with recovery. Dr. Murphy is excellent at his work. May have to wait 6 months for an appointment but it is worth the wait.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2014

Botched hip replacement. Constant pain. Does not return calls. Avoid this doctor!!

flag | Submitted October 7, 2014

flag | Submitted August 7, 2014

I had hip pain for 3 years. I researched and found Dr. Murphy. I waited 6 months for the appointment, and 6 months for the surgery. The 6 months before surgery was very painful, and the 3 months before was difficult to walk. I went into surgery with such pain and woke up WITH NONE !! I had No Pain. I was amazed. I had no upset stomach, no loss of appetite, no vomiting. I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days, and insisted on going to rehab because I live alone. In 21 days I used no walker, cane or crutches. I came home and in another 4 days I was driving. I should tell you that I am 82 years young. I am OVERWHELMINGLY GRATEFUL to Dr. Murphy. Everyday when I'm out, with every step I thank God, every step, and then I thank Him in His wisdom for giving Dr. Murphy the knowledge for this procedure, and being behind the surgeon's hands.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2013

Dr. Murphy is my hero. I limped around for 10 years and was close to being non-mobile. I had a THR since I was missing a hip socket and needed a new fermoral ball. My surgery was 8/14. I have full flexibility in my replaced hip. I am working toward revitalizing the muscles in that hip since they were atrophied after years of inmobility. Dr. Murphy is the BEST. No comparison. As a matter of fact, other surgeons use the hip replacement technique developed by Dr. Murphy. I know because I read every research article that listed Dr. Murphy as an author. Go to youtube and type in Dr. Stephen B Murphy, who also has patents on the instruments he developed for hip surgery. Dr. Murphy is a brilliant surgeon.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2013

Dr. Murphy performed my computer-assisted left hip replacement in December 2012. I had little, but very tolerable levels of pain in the hospital and almost no pain after I returned home after spending less than 2 days in the hospital. Recovery was rapid. I wish that I had known about Dr. Murphy when I had my right hip replaced in 2008 by another surgeon - thankfully this was a completely different experience! Dr Murphy is kind, compassionate, and an expert in his field. Additionally, the office staff are excellent!

flag | Submitted August 29, 2013

I went to Dr Murphy for my second hip replacement. My first had been done several years prior using a standard procedure which involved months of down time; however the results were perfect. Several friends had recommended Dr Murphy who uses a less invasive technnique to shorten recovery time. I had the surgery with Dr. Murphy and everything seemed to be going great. However, about 9 monhts after surgery the pain began. After several appointments and testing, which by the way Dr Murphy has not taken the time to call me with the results, I am still in significant pain and with limited mobility. His staff PROMISES he will call, but he doesn't. This DR might be a genius on his specialized procedure, but he is incompetent in follow-up with patients whose outcome is not favorable (and I have read the same from other comments here). Of course, you never think YOU will be the one whose surgery will not be perfect. Think again! You never know. I would NEVER EVER recommend this doctor.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2013

If you are considering hip-replacement surgery, Stephen Murphy is the go-to guy. The major advantages of his surgical approach over the conventional posterior approach are a shorter hospital stay (1-2 days vs. 4-5 days), a less painful and quicker recovery, and no restrictions on movements from the waist. For 3 months after conventional surgery to replace my first hip, I couldn't bend more than 90 degrees or twist from the waist. Dressing & showering were incredibly awkward and required using assistive devices. After Dr. Murphy's surgery, I quickly regained mobility. When the postsurgical swelling in my hip subsided (~2 weeks), I could bend over to put on my socks. Less than a week after Dr. Murphy’s surgery, I needed only one crutch, and by 2 weeks I was using a cane and could drive. I did not need any narcotics for pain after I left the hospital. My recovery more than justified the 11-month wait for surgery and the $2200 out-of-pocket cost for the computer simulation of my hip.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2013

I first visited Dr. Murphy back in 2004 as a potential candidate to have my left hip replaced. Over the last several months my condition began to deteriorate so I made an appointment w/Meredith in Dr. Murphy's office. My consultation in September confirmed severe damage & they were able to move my surgery up to the end of October due to a cancellation. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Dr. Murphy and his staff for the expediency with which they handled the entire process and I am still in awe of the minimally-invasive surgical technique that he has pioneered. It is now 6 weeks post-surgery for me and the only discomfort I have is the "good" pain from physical therapy & the natural process of my body healing. On this rating scale of 1-5 I will give out a 6!

flag | Submitted December 11, 2012

Dr. Stephen B. Murphy's Credentials

• Cornell University Medical College (Grad. 1983)