Ratings for Dr. J. Michael Joly

I have had chronic pain in my left leg for over 6 months, and went to Dr. Joly for a second opinion as my first doctor could not figure out what was wrong. Since the x rays were normal and I have no recent injuries, Dr. Joly chalked it up to normal aches and pains of me being over 40 (I'm 42), and told me to exercise more regularly. He stated "Learn to ignore the pain and stop seeing doctors". He is the only the second doctor I have seen for this issue. He may be a good surgeon, but he was extremely rude, discounted my pain and my questions, and I will NOT go back to him.

flag | Submitted October 30, 2014

I've been seeing him for about 7 or 8 years now. I've never seen him make a mistake about my history. He's a surgeon, but is very slow to go that route preferring the least invasive way of dealing with an injury. Asks what I'm ready for before pointing me toward a specific route. He's got hospital rounds and is occasionally delayed. I've never felt rushed in an appointment.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2014

Dr. Joly was awesome. He did knee surgery for me. My knee hasn't felt this good since I was in my 20's. I wish I had him for my first knee surgery. He explained the surgery and did a great follow-up.

flag | Submitted October 9, 2013

I saw Dr.Joly for a second opinion on the need for a total hip replacement. I was impressed with his knowledge, thoroughness, patience and compassion. He replaced my hip last March. The operation was successful--no complications, no set backs. Recovery was better than expected. NO MORE PAIN AND NO MORE CANE! I have recommended him to friends.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2013

I saw Dr. Joly 3 times and he was always in a rush. I pointed to the area where I was having the most pain and he told me it cannot be, because he was doing this for 20 years. Based on my general medical history, which he included in his report, his report was not accurate. He referred to intermittent pain which was so severe and ongoing that I since had surgery. I would not recommend him for any reason.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2012

I visited this doctor twice after a fall that resulted iin a broken shoulder. The first appt. was scheduled for 8:30 AM March, 2011 the doctor arrved at 10;30 and the office staff provided no information on him. He saw me for 15 mins. 2nd appt scheduled for 9am. After payng co-pay the office informed me that the Doctor would not be in until 1 pm. I left an never returned

flag | Submitted August 15, 2011

Very easy to talk to and compassionate. Did total knee replacement and I have had excellent results. takes his time to talk to you. I have never felt rushed. I'VE FOUND MY ORTHO MD AS I HAVE OTHER ISSUES I WANT HIM TO HELP ME WITH

flag | Submitted July 11, 2010

Dr. Joly treated greater trochanteric bursitis, also called hip bursitis, last fall and winter and I have not had a reoccurrence. He is extremely knowledgeable and thorough. Many years ago, he replaced my brother’s hip after a near-fatal accident. Without his expertise, my brother probably would not be walking today. I would recommend Dr. Joly and his staff to anyone in need of orthopedic care. They have a great physical therapy staff on site. With Dr. Joly’s care and their help, I was pain free in just a few months.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2008

Dr. J. Michael Joly's Credentials

• GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE (Grad. 1981)

Delta Dental