Ratings for Dr. Katherine A. Wier

flag | Submitted July 10, 2014

RUN FAR AWAY FROM DR WEIR. I wanted 2 brown birthmarks removed for cosmetic reasons and she removed them as if they were cancerous. I was left with stitch marks that has left additional scarring. She did not properly stitch up the wound either. I am not kidding, but the stitches looked and felt like barbed wire. I saved the stitches and consulted with a plastic surgeon who said that the stitches usd were "barbaric" and outdated. He also said it was not good ethical practice to not refer cosmetic surgeries to a plastic surgeon, and that because one of my birthmarks was flat, could have been removed with a laser! He said that had she made the referral that my scar would be 3/4 inch shorter, there would be a running stitch and no stitch marks, and would not be left needing scar revisions. Yes, scar revisions. Unbelievable! Now I am left with painful, itchy scars that could have been prevented with a simple referral. Dr Weir should lose her license and shouldn't go near people.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2012

To her credit, she was the doctor who long ago finally convinced me to try Accutane and treated me until it significantly cleared up my acne. To her office staff's discredit, when I tried to make an appointment years later for an unrelated problem I didn't show up in their system and would have been forced to wait as long as a new patient (some ridiculous number of weeks) for an appointment. No, thank you.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

This Dr. helped me so much. I went to numberous other doctors for extreme rash and infection on my legs. Other Dr.'s gave me Cortizone shots, jelly foam wraps, months and months of no help and one with with Dr. Wier and I was cured after she gave me an ointment. All it took was one prescription and I was cured. She knew exactly what she was doing.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2009

Concerned and thorough; has a "take the bull by the horns attitude; knowledgeable; gets the job done

flag | Submitted November 8, 2008

What an incompetent doctor. I came in with severe hair loss & itchiness. I went to a total of 7 doctors for opinions because hair loss is so devastating. She was the only one who said it was due to shampoo allergy. When I told other doctors of the diagnosis, they laughingly said oh you went to Katherine Wier. One doctor said she was "nuts." I spent $20 on her recomended shampoo, spent $500 on allergy testing and I AM NOT ALLERGIC TO SHAMPOO. She gave me an instruction sheet consisting of different types of treatments for different parts of the body. It was so confusingly marked (I showed it to others to see if they agreed and they did) as to which I was supposed to do & I ended up putting vasoline on my scalp/hair. Trying to get it out caused tremendous stress & more hair to fall out. I called her out on her stupidity of giving out instructions for diverse conditions on same sheet. Each condition should have had its own sheet. I would never recommend this doctor.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2007

The one hour wait time and passive staff were just the beginning. I came in this dermatologist's office with painfully itchy scalp and severe hair loss (shedding and breakage) among other concerns. The doctor ordered no blood or urine tests and no scalp biopsy. She did not listen to my concerns; only made assumptions and gross generalizations based on a minimal examination of my scalp - no magnifying glass, no scrapings, NOTHING. I brought in a ziploc bag of broken and shedded hair and she did not even look at it. She gave me no medications nor prescriptions. I was in so much discomfort (scalp itchiness) that I walked 2 blocks to my internist's office and waited for another hour just to get some medication. And, I still don't know why my scalp is so irritated and my hair is breaking from the roots. This was a dreadful experience; The worse doctor's visit I've EVER had! I COULD NOT BE MORE DISAPPOINTED.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2007

Do not go to this doctor! Initial impression- how nice, a wise elderly lady with years of experience- WRONG! I have been left scarred on three of the four excisions performed. In running late she was in too much of a rush to stitch me up. Further, do not expect any type of follow-up care. I was more than inconvienced by post-procedure infections due to lack of suturing. After gouging me with her scalpel, her true aim became apparent when she came to gouge my wallet. I am not a medical professional but her standard of care borders on being negligent- requiring me to seek additional medical treatment from another physician. As a patient I can say that she provides little empathy, or compassion, and lacks basic humanistic treatment qualities. Quite simply this doctor should have long ago retired, and is simply going through the motions at this point. Please use this website to find another doctor- someone who cares. I wish I had known about this sight before this ordeal.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2006

My appointment was interrupted not once, but TWICE during the same visit so that she could listen to pharmaceutical companies pitch their new drugs to her - aka so she could get free samples - meanwhile leaving me waiting in a cold room, wearing nothing but a paper robe. I know this b/c both conversations were held RIGHT OUTSIDE my examing room. It was more than rude. When I complained, they didn't even apologize.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2006

She is a very good derm. I have been to quite a few and she was the best by far. I read the other review, and thought it to be a little unfair. Everyone knows to either bring your insurance card, or call to find out what types of charges could be in store for you. I also like the idea that you can make an appt. on your lunch hour - very easy to get in too.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2006

Dr. Katherine A. Wier's Credentials

• University Of Illinois At Chicago Health Science Center (Grad. 1967)