Ratings for Dr. Yi Lu

Terrible incompetent doctor who caused permanent nerve damage that I will never recover from post laminectpmy spinal fusion surgery. Please save your life and go to somebody else!

flag | Submitted July 9, 2017

Dr. Lu performed a spinal fusion on me in 2015 which resulted in a brain bleed, majorcsf leak as well as two emergency surgeries following my fusion. I ended up with MRSA in my spine. He never acknowledged the infection. It was well documented by other physicians. i now live in constant pain. He told me to have a SCS implanted despite my infectious disease doctor stating I could not have that done as my risk of infection and/or death would be too great. He still insisted that I should do it. I disagreed and then he had me banned from seeing any Neurosurgeon at BWH. He is an awful doctor and surgeon. He was not supportive or caring after my three major spine surgeries. His secretary does not answer the phone and is rude when you are able to reach her. As a patient who had multiple complications, I found it extremely difficult to reach him as well as anyone in the practice. I do not recommend him to anyone. I am only 47 and nowhave to live in severe chronic pain.

Submitted February 6, 2017

Doctor Lu was the best when he performed my spine surgery. He was very thorough at the consultation and helped calm my nerves while in pre-op, a week later I am able to walk a few steps without help! I deffinetly reccomend Dr. Lu for any kind of spine surgery. He made me feel so comfortable and followed up to visit me the day after my surgery. I'm so glad this was my neurosurgeon.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2016

Office staff terrible. Nurse and secretary NEVER answer calls or follow up!!! Dr Lu just great. Very kind!

flag | Submitted January 5, 2016

I met Dr. Lu as a result of a crash while skiing, I was, fortunately, med flighted to The Brigham for surgery. Shortly after landing, Dr. Lu came over to meet me and also to reassure me that he and his team would be confident of a good result. Dr. Lu was by my side also post-surgery to give a swift after action report. Dr. Lu and I immediately connected as individuals, and his manner and competence have directly led to amazing progress with my recovery. I'm a month out and haven't taken pain killers in over three weeks. Thank you and the team!

flag | Submitted February 8, 2015

When I was told my diagnosis of spinal stenosis with myelopathy, I was confused and terrified. Having led a very active life and now facing the fact that not only were my balance and my gait becoming problematic, but my extremities would likely be further affected, I did not know which way to turn. Dr. Darby of the Brigham and Women's Neurology Clinic suggested I turn to Dr. Yi Lu. This was a turning point in my life, and I am very grateful to him. Dr. Lu calmly and clearly explained the surgery he would perform. He stated honestly that my condition would be arrested, not necessarily improved. Time would determine that. Without it, however, further degeneration would likely occur over time as two discs were problematic. The day of the surgery, everything proceeded like clockwork. The entire team was stellar, and it was clear from the start the esteem in which Dr. Lu is held. That night, long after most doctors had left the hospital, Dr. Lu walked quietly into my hospital room, took my hand gently, and told me I was going to be fine. There was no doubt in my mind I would be. Four months later, my balance and my gait are both vastly improved. I have completed my physical therapy, and I am slowly dispensing with my collar. Most importantly, I have my self-confidence back. I credit Dr. Lu with all of this. He is a brilliant, caring professional who never loses sight of the patient, in this case a grandmother who, more than anything, wants to continue for a while to keep up with her 6-year-old and 3-year-old. Dr. Lu has been a blessing in my life.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2015

I am at a loss for words to express my gratitude to Dr. Lu for his superior surgical care, remarkable bedside manner, impeccable coordination with my oncology treatment team and superior communication skills. No one undergoes a neurosurgical intervention without a certain level of apprehension. It certainly was my case, compounded by the fact that surgery would delay my starting the onset of my chemotherapy treatment. Dr. Lu and his team were able to dissipate concerns by patiently explaining the pros and cons of the surgery, the necessity of its immediacy in light of likely accrued neurological deficits, and communication with regard to this difficult decision was established with the oncology team despite this crisis happening over a weekend. The surgery was a success: not only the surgical objectives were met, but I woke up in the ICU pain-free –after a grueling three weeks of terrible pain due to a tumor pressing on my spinal cord- to the astonishment of all staff! What more is there to say: Dr. Lu is my savior!

flag | Submitted January 15, 2015

Before my surgery, I was not able to walk more than a few steps and was in almost constant pain. Dr. Lu was able to correct my spine so that I am able to walk without pain. It am so grateful for Dr. Lu's expertise and skill. His entire staff is wonderful and very responsive to patients' needs...physical and emotional.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2015

Dr. Yi Lu's Credentials

• Columbia University College Of Physicians And Surgeons (Grad. 2005)