Ratings for Dr. Lawrence Jim Donovan

A change in health insurance forced me to go to Donovan. He ignored my increasing symptoms and ever increasing lump on my neck. He told me it was nothing. Another change in insurance, and I changed doctors. My new doctor immediately had me tested for a thryroid problem. The lump on my neck was a goiter. I needn't have suffered through some pretty horrible hyperthyroidism problems for so long. He shouldn't have blown off my symptoms. I would never go back to him. In addition to missing my hyperthyroidism, he also blew off my request for an antidepressant and therapist recommendation to help me recover from an anxiety disorder. I didn't get either. Donovan didn't think my anxiety disorder which did severely limit my life was a big deal. He said I was better off. Fortunately, I did get the help. Fortunately, I did switch doctors. I don't know where I would be if I hadn't.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2008

Dr. Donovan misdiagnosed my heart condition as simply being out of shape. I complained to Dr. Donovan about being tired and having trouble sustaining any cardiovascularly challenging activity. My combination of asthma and a treatable heart condition called PSVT remained unknown because Dr. Donovan would simply blow it off as my being out of shape. He never suggested seeing a specialist or running any tests. I took him at his word until a couple trips to the emergency room which confirmed that I did in fact have this condition. I found Dr. Donovan to be a poor listener and unwilling to draw the line where his expertise as a general practitioner ends. This is a horrible combination for a doctor. He also performed a sigmoidoscopy without the use of any anesthetic or sedative. I later learned that this particularly painful procedure is often performed with the aid of such medication. Definitely see someone else.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2008

Wonderful bedside manner, very caring. Great for a specific problem but annual physicals are too superficial. Does not look for skin cancer (in Texas), occult blood in stool, or do some tests that are supposed to be standard. Keeps up on his reading. A very good doctor.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2006

Dr. Lawrence Jim Donovan's Credentials

• Univ Of Tx Med Sch At San Antonio, San Antonio Tx 78284 (Grad. 1981)