Ratings for Dr. James D. Luketich

Saved my life, 12 years ago! He did the operation with his residents. UPMC is a TEACHING hospital and you want doctors to learn from the best.

flag | Submitted March 26, 2016

Just had surgery 3 weeks ago and my nursing care was fantastic, Dr. LUKETICH group of doctors rounded twice a day. My surgery was very involved and was a success......mmbut I never met him face to face. Have faith in him....he is the best

flag | Submitted November 6, 2014

I have had achalsia since 1973. I had tried various therapies in the past which were unsuccesful. I had pretty much resigned myself to living with the symptoms. However my gastroenterologist suggested on a number of occasions that I at least consider a surgical opinion. In 2012 I felt my symptoms were getting worse and decided to consult with Dr. Luketich. I went through the pre-evaluation testing and saw him in June, 2012. On the day of the appointment, I waited for 3 hrs. 10 minutes in the exam room. He was minimally apologetic and initially irritated. Later he warmed up and spent considerable time explaining the procedure. I ultimately had the surgery in December. Unfortunately the surgery was ENTIRELY unsuccesful. Additionally I've had some minor problems. I understand that there are no guarantees with surgery, but he did feel I was a good candidate preop, and his lack of empathy with respect to his tardiness makes it a little tough to swallow. I DO understand that he had an emergen

flag | Submitted October 31, 2013

Dr. Luketich DID NOT DO MY SURGERY HIMSELF. Instead, without my prior knowledge or permission, he turned my surgery over to a doctor he was training in a training program. He is legally supposed to supervise them, but in my case he left the operating room for an extended period of time and left that doctor in training operating on me ALONE WITHOUT HIS REQUIRED SUPERVISION. If you are injured (and I was), well, too bad for you because neither he or his staff will discuss it with you, and UPMC then covers up for him and the doctor in training who injured you. This guy is arrogant beyond belief, and he does not care about the patient, or the patient's welfare at all. His lack of professional ethics is scarey, and you are NOT SAFE with this doctor. He treated me like a piece of meat. I COMPLETELY DO NOT RECOMMEND DR. JAMES LUKETICH.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2012

I was diagnosed with esophagus cancer 5 years ago and I accredit Dr Luketich and his team with saving my life. After being diagnosed and staged I was too far along to go straight to surgery so it was to the oncologist and radiation oncologist for treatment before the big surgery. Everything went as well as could be expected. I can honestly say I have not seen him since but I have been back a few times for some follow up surgery’s in which he has been the lead surgeon on every occasion. He also has a section of the 7th floor at UPMC for his patients that has a great staff. Thank you Dr. Luketich

flag | Submitted November 22, 2011

Best dr for esophageal and thoracic issues. He was fantastic, took care of two hernias at once for me. Arrogant? Who cares. His resident Dr levy was great, too. Took a lot of time with my family and me. Highly recommend.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2011

I can't even begin to put into words how great Dr. Luketich is. He saved my life! I went to see him with esophageal cancer. Surgery went very well and everything was removed. As of now, as far as we know, I am cancer free. He was very thorough in explaining the risks to us before surgery. I would HIGHLY recommend him to anyone. His team of doctors that visited me in the hospital everyday were wonderful. They were very polite and very good at explaining to me how I was doing after my surgery.I am still in the healing process and thankful for such wonderful doctors who are so dedicated to their work and their compassion for people to sacrifice so many hours of their time. I thank the Lord for putting me into the hands of such a wonderful doctor. Almost everyone I know in the medical field that I've talked to know who Dr. Luketich is and he is very highly spoken of.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2010

Dr. Luketich was very thorough in treating my father in law's cancer. The surgery was extensive, but he did remove all the cancer. Follow up has been very helpful; he explains options to patients and lets them decide on treatments best suited for themselves. Yes, you'll have to wait to see him because he is GREAT - HIGHLY SKILLED SURGEON and very nice bedside manner. He never talks down to the patient.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2010

Told patient and family patient was free of cancer, when actually it had spread throughout his lymph system and to other organs. This misinformation significantly impacted the patient's and family's actions in the last months of his life. Plays God.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2009

Arrogant, non-responsive and generally full of himself. He made promises to our family member and never kept them. We suspect he botched the surgery then skipped town without ever coming to check on the patient. We know since one of us stayed at the hospital 24/7for multiple days after the surgery. I have warned friends from all ends of the country to stay away from him. Beware. He may be knowledgable about his "craft" but is really clueless in patient care and compassion.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2009

Dr. James D. Luketich's Credentials

• Medical College Of Pennsylvania (Grad. 1986)