Ratings for Dr. Thomas W. Rice

Dr Rice is blunt but better that than wishy washy. He is so good at what he does and he is so smart. He saved my husbands life.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017

Rude, arrogant, uncaring. 2 failed lung surgeries under this Dr. who would not own up to his own mistakes. What was supposed to be a simple, straightforward procedure, ended up in numerous complications and a 2nd much larger and disabling surgery. I would not take my cat or dog to him.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2015

Dr. Rice was professional and straight forward. He didn't sugar coat my esophageal cancer problem. He saved my life on March 1, 2006, I am living proof of Dr. Rice's skills. He was never quirky or rude. He always treated me respectfully. I am now a 4th Angel mentor through Cleveland Clinic talking to esophageal cancer patients and their wives or husbands. I visited one man in the Cleveland Clinic and Dr. Rice came in to check the gentleman. Dr. Rice saw me and said " I haven't scoped you in 5 years ! Call my office tomorrow ! " he remembers his patients.

flag | Submitted November 14, 2014

I was referred to Dr. Rice after a failed surgical procedure at a major research hospital. I am grateful for the quality of care that I received from Dr. Rice. He is very knowledgable and took the time to go over all of the tests and explain in detail what needed to be done. Dr. Rice was explicitly clear on what I needed to do both before and after the procedure. I did not find his style to be abrupt. Listen carefully, follow directions and know that you are in good hands. The bottom line… I had seen several other surgeons after the original procedure had failed. So many of them were cordial and personable, but could not answer my questions nor explain why the original procedure had failed. I had more confidence in Dr. Rice than any other surgeon. He, and his staff, can be trusted.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2014

I had been warned that Dr. Rice had a very abrupt personality but I found him to be very knowledgeable, helpful, and kind. He is an excellent surgeon and he cares deeply about his patients. His surgical skills made it possible for me to live a normal life. The only bad thing is that during my yearly check-ups I don't get to see him but rather one of the other doctors.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2014

Dr. Rice is a merical worker am living proof of that. Dr. Rice along with his coworkers saved my life, and of course God gets top merical worker. Dr. Rice after his thorough research he sat down with the Wife and I and explained exactly what needs to happen, and of course he was Stern in his explanation, as I would hope he would be. I was sent to him by my Surgeon in Lexington, Ky. because he is the best Surgeon in the World, in one of only two Hospitals in the Country that would have any chance of a successful operation. I am so blessed to have been one of Dr. Rices patients, and all the other Surgeons who performed several other surgeries from September 2011 through February of 2012. Thank you Cleveland Clinic, and the Hope Lodge for all you did for me and my family.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2013

Dr. Rice is the best Doctor in his field. I lost my dear husband to esophageal cancer while in his care. Dr. Rice did everything in his power to save him. He had Chemo, Surgery, Chemo and Radiation. Yes, I agree he's not the most personable doctor. But would I recommend him, heaven's YES!!! We were sent to Cleveland Clinic, because Dr. Rice is the best!

flag | Submitted July 29, 2013

I am blessed to have had Dr Rice so surgery on me....The clinic is a VAST hospital...I spent 8 days there....grateful to the Dr and the staff for putting up with me!

flag | Submitted July 3, 2012

Top-notch surgeon, but very unhappy with most everything else.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2012

I spent 10 days at a different hospital with 2 collapsed lungs, pneumonia, the flu and MRSA. Was transferred to main campus where Dr. Rice was the Dr. on call, I was told that if I didn't have surgery I probably wouldnt make it another week. Had surgery, which lasted hours, was sedated on a ventilator for 2 days and saw him within mins of awaking. He was strict, telling me I must do the breathing exercises they told me to if I wanted to make it. I was on my death bed and he saved me, all Drs are abrupt and rude at times. I dont think he is any different than the others. Would recommend him to anyone who wants the best.

flag | Submitted September 5, 2011

Dr. Thomas W. Rice's Credentials

• Univ Of Toronto, Fac Of Med, Toronto, Ont, Canada (Grad. 1978)

Pacificare