Ratings for Dr. Sha-Barbara E. McDaniel

I'm not a huge reviewer, however I felt my experience here warranted a review. I've been seeing Dr. McDaniel for over 5 years. I never really had any issues with her, other than the fact that she's not very warm, but I continued to go to her for my yearly exams. My recent experience with her was unfathomable. It's my first time getting pregnant and also having a miscarriage. First thing to note, she doesn't have an sonogram machine in the office. She talked super fast about all the different scenarios that "could be" going on with me and sent me all the way uptown to get a sonogram, which took about 2.5 hours. She doesn't encourage questioning, she isn't empathetic, and her and the office has NO SENSE OF URGENCY. It took them over 24 hours to verify they received the sonogram and over 36 hours to confirm that I was in fact having a miscarriage. I had to actually do most of the work myself. Called her office about 10 times, asked my husband to call and put some pressure on her staff, I emailed them through the portal which only seems to be managed by the Dr. herself... it was ridiculous. When I asked her questions about X,Y,Z, via email NOT A PHONE CALL, she says"I told you about this at your visit." I was an emotionally drained woman having a miscarriage, my apologies for not understanding your quick explanations about X, Y, and Z. She's rude and insensitive. Long story short, I quickly had my sonograms from the Radiologist faxed to a new OBGYN, wouldn't count on her office to get anything right regarding medical records, and quickly learned from the new Dr. what was relevant to my situation. Instead of feeling bad about miscarrying the new Dr. actually helped me understand why. Dr. McDaniel needs to practice empathy and urgency. I quickly told my sister to get a new Dr. I would never want her to feel as bad as I did this week.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2015

my whole visit was way better than i expected. the staff were so so--they sent me to a computer portal to enter my medical history, which, by the way, made my 30min wait seem like 5 mins--i like. the Doctor was very smiley and pleasant. she gave me way more info than i needed, but the my examination was really smooth. the best part, a full year prescription ad it went ahead of me electronically to my own pharmacy--all in all--impressive

flag | Submitted August 28, 2009

As the HR Manager at my firm, I am often asked by new hires during orientation to recommend doctors and dentists in the area. I have been a patient of Dr. McDaniel's for the past three months, and would not hesitate to recommend her & her staff to my female employees (and have done so already)!!

flag | Submitted March 5, 2009

Dr. McDaniel is a horrible Gyn to deal with. She rushes through your visits, talks extremely fast, answers your questions using medical language that anyone who did not go to med school does not understand. She doesn't take your complaints seriously and prescribes the same medication over and over again even if it does not work. She never calls with results, but expected you to call and make another appointment so you can pay more money and listen to her speak quickly in another language. I went to her for two years because her office is located across the street from my work and it was so convenient, but after all my problems, that she does not take seriously or even attempt to fix I am done.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2009

Dr. McDaniel has been my gynecologist for over three years. Visiting a gynecologist has always been very uncomfortable for me. But I have become more at ease with Dr. McDaniel, especially because she is a woman of color, like myself, and her office is very conveniently located. She may be a bit "too efficient" at times, but I am always prepared in addressing my concerns to her and she always listens and advises me.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2009

I have to agree with the above negative reviews and also add that I was incorrectly treated for a very serious condition. I came to Dr. Mcdaniel with the symptoms of a pelvic infection and was given only one of the three antibiotics I needed to be treated, and the one I was given was not prescribed for the adequate length of time. This is a very serious and time-sensitive condition and I did damage to my reproductive system as a result of her incorrect treatment. She did many things wrong, including not recommending blood work to determine the cause of the infection (necessary) or even scheduling a follow-up, which is essential to monitor treatment. If treatment did not work, within days I should have been admitted to the hospital. The condition abated (after two months) only to return a few months later. Luckily I was able to find a knowledgeable doctor at that point who was appalled, as I was, by the shockingly ignorant treatment and procedure of this doctor.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2008

I'veseeing Dr. Mcdaniel for about 5 years now and I think she is an excellent docto, well knowledgeable and knows what she is about. She sometimes seems rushed but that's ok because no none wants t sit exposed for a length of time. As for her sterilizing her instruments,I have no doubt that Mcdaniel takes every precaution, after all she works in the in the hospital not just her office.I know for a fact that she is no longer doing OB just gyn and cosmetic surgery. I have a couple of aquaintances whose had surgery done by her. You reviewers may not like to much my review, but hey, give the doctor her due, she's good and her staff is well educated and organized, her office ia always clean and comfortable, so its little that her bedside manner is not 100%.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2008

Is this Dr. sterilizing her speculums? She keeps them in a draw under the table she examines you on. I found about 5 speculums on a piece of tissue paper in the draw. One of the speculums was used on me. Were all the speculums in the draw used or clean? If they were clean, why did she put the used one, used one me back in? Also, there was a tube of lube in there that was open and there was lube on the tissue paper. I went in one week for a yeast infection and came back a week later for a bacterial infection. Could I have gotten the bacterial infection from an re-used speculum? I didnt have the bacterial infection during the first time. Has anyone had a similar experience? Please comment. If re-using speculums -it could put our lives in danger.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2008

The doctors I've seen for the last 20 years are a mixed bag as far as medical knowledge and bed-side manner go--some are good; some not so good. I'm loyal to the doctor that treats my ailments quickly; I leave the doctors that are not detail oriented. McDaniel's bedside manner may not match her medical knowledge--so what! Her abilities as a doctor, practicing medicine are unquestionably excellent--that's why I'm a loyal patient. McDaniel rushes me sometimes, but I know she's got the experience to make that ok--going slowly usually means your a beginner!

flag | Submitted May 2, 2008

Dr. McDaniel was short and condescending. When she told me I had a yeast infection, I had lots of questions, as I'm relatively young and have never been diagnosed with one before. She had little patience for my questions, and instead directed me towards a brochure on the subject. She said nothing about having my partner treated as well to prevent future reinfection, and also did not so much as mention the HPV vaccine to me. She made disparaging comments about the appearance of my vagina, and when, on my way out, I noticed all of the vaginal rejuvenation laser surgery pamphlets, I realized why. The staff was rude and unhelpful. When I asked for clarification about notifications for abnormal pap smears, the response was an agitated, "Didn't you read the notification policy?" I was beyond pissed at the whole experience, and will not be returning.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2008