Ratings for Dr. Jean-Pierre Hubschman

Dr. Hubschman is amazing! He operated on a family member with a macular hope. Results are amazing. He is the best in the field. I highly recommend him for any retinal disease and that is coming from a person who is with extensive experience in the medical field. Amazing bedside manners and person to person interactions. He is the one to go to. No other comparable. Thank you for your expert help!

flag | Submitted October 15, 2018

Dr. Hubschman is a remarkable and caring eye surgeon. I was diagnosed with macular pucker with a severe epiretinal membrane in my left eye. He performed a vitreoretinal surgery and removed the membrane. My eye healed up without any complications after this delicate surgery. Dr. Hubshman is an outstanding surgeon and I am very grateful to him,

flag | Submitted September 21, 2018

I credit Dr Hubschman with saving my sight. That says it all.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2018

On the recommendation of a well-informed friend who said ‘for retina surgery, Dr. Hubschman’s is The Best’, my husband and I sought a consultation with Dr. J. P. Hubschman at Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA. Dr. Hubschman is intensely focused, brisk yet gracious. After analyzing my OCT scan, Dr. H confirmed the diagnosis that I had a macular pucker, and needed to undergo a double membrane peel. With substantial anxiety, I presented him with a typed list of questions and concerns. To my relief, he was patient and kind. He addressed each issue attentively, respectfully. He explained as to why the vision in this eye will never be as good as new. We felt no hint of arrogance nor condescension. Dr. Hubschman projects incisiveness and confidence. Immediately, my husband and I felt that he was the right surgeon to correct my rapidly deteriorating vision. It is now 5 months post-surgery, my best corrected vision (BCA) has improved from 20/70 to 20/30! During my most recent checkup, Dr. Hubschman was pleased with my progress. I can once again read fine print with this eye. In our experience, only the most talented and skilled comes up with the most elegant solution, makes the execution appear easy, and delivers outstanding result without complications. Dr. Hubschman leads an excellent team. During post-op check-ups, a Fellow first examines my eye. Then Dr. Hubschman comes in and thoroughly examines the eye himself, (and at my request), compares my OCT scans to explain the specifics of my progress. Over these visits, we have recognized that Dr. H holds his patient’s wellbeing at heart. My healing is being carefully monitored: 1 day post-op, 1 week post-op, 1 month post-op, 3 months post-op, next visit in 6 months. Also, we observed how deeply these young doctors like and revere Dr. Hubschman and his ‘extraordinary’ skills, and how proud they are to be on his team. They are accessible and responsive. During the critical weeks of recovery after surgery, his Fellows returned my calls and thoughtfully answered my questions. A leader sets the tone. The front desk personal, the technical staff who perform the preliminary prep, take retinal scans etc....are always patient and gracious. Plan your visit to take at least 2-1/2 hours. After getting screened, eyes dilated by a technical staff, expect a wait in the waiting room, followed by another wait in the exam room for Dr. Hubschman. My husband and I’d travel much farther and wait much longer to be under the care of this preeminent surgeon. Our travel time and wait time are trivial compared to the monumental benefits of having my vision, and therefore, my confidence and quality of life restored. We feel blessed that this internationally recognized retina surgeon and scientist is applying his precious skills and knowledge to heal patients, to teach, and to research at Jules Stein, a leading eye institute in the world. Dr. Hubschman, we are Very Happy. Thank You!!!

flag | Submitted February 18, 2018

A great world class doctor. Had wonderful results from all procedures.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2017

I am so happy I went to UCLA Medical Center. Dr. Hubschman is great. He saved my vision.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2017

I can only echo what others have written about the quality of care provided by Dr. Hubschman for my macular pucker surgery performed in February, 2017. I started seeing Dr. Hubschman based on a recommendation for a second opinion from my primary retinal specialist. I was so impressed by Dr. Hubschman based on his analysis and discussion of my case that I decided to ask him to do the surgery instead of my local retinal specialist. It meant a bit of a drive, but I decided that it was worth it. Dr. Hubschman recommended that I delay any surgical treatment to see whether the pucker progressed. When I first saw Dr. Hubschman, my vision in the affected eye was around 20/30. As the months progressed, my vision worsened to 20/50. At that point, Dr. Hubschman recommended surgery. I arrived at the Wasserman bldg. on the morning of the surgery somewhat apprehensive, but I immediately felt comforted by the absolute professionalism and caring treatment provided by the Wasserman (Jules Stein) staff. The surgery itself was painless, and I awoke with a patch over the eye. Dr. Hubschman had prepared me ahead of time, so I knew what was coming in terms of after care at the Dr.'s office and at home. Results were beyond expectation. Even though Dr. Hubschman mentioned, prior to the surgery, that I could expect to only recover part of the vision loss, after five weeks, now, my vision is just about 20/20 again! There is still a bit of distortion, but Dr. Hubschman is very pleased as am I, and the full effect of the surgery normally takes from three to six months. I cannot say enough about the whole experience, and I would wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Hubschman to anyone needing retinal surgery!!!

flag | Submitted March 11, 2017

5 years ago, I was loosing my vision and diagnosed with retina degeneration. I was unable to drive, read and even hold long conversations (I would get headaches while trying to focus on their expressions). The whole world was blurry and I felt fatigued all the time. After consulting with 8 doctors (here and overseas) and learning the difficulty of the operation, I felt hopeless - no one was willing and able to conduct the surgery. My daughter (who is typing as I talk) suggested I visit the UCLA Stein Eye Institute where Dr. Hubschman performed a pars plana vitrectomy (PPV) procedure. 6 months later I now see the world differently, I am so happy. My vision has improved tremendously, even exceeding medical and practical expectations. I am so grateful, he saved me, my vision, and gave me a new life.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2016

Before I met Dr. Hubschman I was in despair. I had seen an Ophthalmologist in another university hospital and was told my eye condition was very bad. It would be very dangerous to have surgery. Basically, there was not much can be done. My disappointment was beyond words because I had very high hope in the medical advances and technology in the United States, so I came from China to find solutions for my worsened vision. I searched on the internet to see if I can find another doctor for a second opinion. I found Dr. Hubschman on the UCLA website. After reading his experiences, achievements and publications I decided to contact his office and make appointment with him. After reviewing my medical history and the imaging of my eyes, Dr. Hubschman said without hesitation that the surgery can be done and he will do it. It was such great news to me and my family. To make long story short, the surgery was very successful. The imaging taken at my one-month revisit showed great improvement. Mostly, my eye sight started getting better in a few weeks after the surgery. I am most grateful to Dr. Hubschman for his understanding of my eye condition, his skills in assessing and diagnosing the condition and his judgement of the appropriate procedure. I thank Dr. Hubschman for giving me confidence and trust in him by his professional knowledge and his responsible attitude towards patients. I appreciate that Dr. Hubschman’s colleagues and staff in the office were most responsive and helpful for questions and problems in pre- and post-operation care. I am looking forward to my three-month revisit to Dr. Hubschman. By the way, the diagnosis is macular schisis of left eye, and the procedure is PPV/MP.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2016

I started taking my 73 year old mom to Dr. Hubschman a year ago after she was diagnosed with severe diabetic retinopathy and lost her driver's license. She had significantly lost her vision and couldn't read the newspaper. From the moment we walked into Dr. Hubschman's office, he and his staff gave us hope. A week later he performed a vitrectomy and started a series of injections and other treatments. A year later my mom is back to reading, has her driver's license back and her independence. We owe so much to Dr. Hubschman and his staff who always went above and beyond and gave her so much TLC. There is no one else I would trust more with a retina issue than Dr. Hubschman and his amazing UCLA team.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2016