Ratings for Dr. Jean-Pierre Hubschman

Before I met Dr. Hubschman I was in despair. I had seen an Ophthalmologist in another university hospital and was told my eye condition was very bad. It would be very dangerous to have surgery. Basically, there was not much can be done. My disappointment was beyond words because I had very high hope in the medical advances and technology in the United States, so I came from China to find solutions for my worsened vision. I searched on the internet to see if I can find another doctor for a second opinion. I found Dr. Hubschman on the UCLA website. After reading his experiences, achievements and publications I decided to contact his office and make appointment with him. After reviewing my medical history and the imaging of my eyes, Dr. Hubschman said without hesitation that the surgery can be done and he will do it. It was such great news to me and my family. To make long story short, the surgery was very successful. The imaging taken at my one-month revisit showed great improvement. Mostly, my eye sight started getting better in a few weeks after the surgery. I am most grateful to Dr. Hubschman for his understanding of my eye condition, his skills in assessing and diagnosing the condition and his judgement of the appropriate procedure. I thank Dr. Hubschman for giving me confidence and trust in him by his professional knowledge and his responsible attitude towards patients. I appreciate that Dr. Hubschman’s colleagues and staff in the office were most responsive and helpful for questions and problems in pre- and post-operation care. I am looking forward to my three-month revisit to Dr. Hubschman. By the way, the diagnosis is macular schisis of left eye, and the procedure is PPV/MP.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2016

I started taking my 73 year old mom to Dr. Hubschman a year ago after she was diagnosed with severe diabetic retinopathy and lost her driver's license. She had significantly lost her vision and couldn't read the newspaper. From the moment we walked into Dr. Hubschman's office, he and his staff gave us hope. A week later he performed a vitrectomy and started a series of injections and other treatments. A year later my mom is back to reading, has her driver's license back and her independence. We owe so much to Dr. Hubschman and his staff who always went above and beyond and gave her so much TLC. There is no one else I would trust more with a retina issue than Dr. Hubschman and his amazing UCLA team.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2016

Dr Hubschmid diagnosed and performed unexpected emergency surgery on my detached retina. He provided a full explanation and answered all my questions. I can see thanks to Dr Hubschman!

flag | Submitted October 30, 2016

In June this year , I had an eye surgery known as PPV/MP and Capsulotomoy performed by Dr. Hubschman. My vision in one of my eye was getting blurry and somewhat distorted. Dr. Hubschman performed this delicate surgery with utmost care and my vision now is 20/25 at the age of 75. I am extremely pleased with his work and the surgery was completely painless during the surgery and after the surgery. It was so painless that I did not even took any painkiller not even Tylenol. I would most definitely recommend Dr. Hubscman for any retina treatment.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2016

Dr. Hubschman did a great job on my eye detached retinal sugery. He is gentle, knowledgable and gifted surgeon. I heartily recommend him

flag | Submitted August 20, 2016

I had a retinal detachment in my left eye, with the macula detached. I was not comfortable with the first surgeon I saw, especially since he wanted to schedule surgery 7 days after the detachment had occurred. Dr. Hubschman's office accommodated my request for an appointment to get a second opinion. Dr. Hubschman was compassionate and caring and took the time to explain my diagnosis and options. He confirmed the original diagnosis, but offered to perform the surgery that afternoon. I felt extremely comfortable with him, and having read about his background, knew that I would be in very capable hands. I was also impressed by the professionalism, efficiency and caring attitude of literally everyone I met at the Eye Institute, from the receptionist to the nursing staff to the Fellows, med students and the OR staff. The surgery went very well. Dr. Hubschman was clear and firm about post op requirements, which I followed. Despite the detached macula, my vision has improved and continues to improve. I feel I owe my eyesight to Dr. Hubschman. I strongly recommend him and the UCLA Jules Stein Eye Institute to anyone with retina issues or other serious eye issues. Thank you Dr. Hubschman! M. Hatch, 11/2015

flag | Submitted November 4, 2015

I had an operation to close a macular hole in my left eye in December of 2013 by a surgeon not affiliated with UCLA. The surgery was not successful and the surgeon suggested that we re-do the operation. I decided to get a second opinion and contacted the Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA. As I did not know any of the doctors at Jules Stein, I asked the receptionist for a suggestion and was given the nome of Dr. Jean-Pierre Hubschman. I set up an appointment with Dr. Hubschman and was very impressed by both he and his staff as I was given a very thorough examination and was treated very well by all involved. Dr. Hubschman told me that he felt he could close the macular hole and improve my vision. I decided to have this second operation at Jules Stein. Dr. Hubschman operated on me at the end of August, 2015 on an out-patient basis. He told me at the time that the operation went well but I needed to strictly follow his post-op instructions, which I did. After two weeks of recuperation I returned for an examination by Dr. Hubschman and found out that the macular hole has closed and my vision had improved. Now, 6 weeks after the operation my vision is still improving and should continue to improve for another 8 weeks or so. The bottom line is that Dr. Jean-Pierre Hubschman is an excellent eye surgeon who fixed a problem that another surgeon failed to fix. In addition, the Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA is a world class eye facility for the treatment and research of eye diseases. What a perfect combination, a talented, skilled eye surgeon and a world class eye institute, why would you want to go elsewhere. Steve W. 10-OCT-2015

flag | Submitted October 11, 2015

Dr. Hubschman is a gifted surgeon. My retina had a lot of damage due to scarring from a virus I had in my eye years ago. I also had a cataract that needed to be removed which was a high risk procedure given the fact that my retina was damaged and therefore had a high risk of detaching. With two surgeries and some laser treatments Dr Hubschman was able to remove the cataract, clear up some of the scarring and strengthen my retina. As a result my vision improved dramatically. I am very grateful to Dr Hubschman for using his expertise to help me.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2015

I have been a patient of Dr. Hubschman's for the past two years for a condition of retinal membranes in both eyes. Having been an RN, I can honestly say that he is one of the most professional, compassionate, and knowledgeable doctors I have ever had the good fortune to know. In addition, he is passionate about his chosen field and has treated me with excellence. I had the membrane in my right eye removed in December, 2014 and the result was excellent. My entire experience in his office including the receptionists, technicians, fellows and nurses has been everything I could have hoped for. Dr. Hubschman is a superb physician and I could not recommend him more highly.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2015

Saw Dr. Hubschman for visual loss due to Macular problems, specifically a Macular Hole defect (a type of detached Retina.) Appointment was quick within a very few days. Dr. Hubschman was very polite, professional, informative and optimistic about a surgical repair and its outcomes. Vision was 20/200 to start, and improved to 20/50 post-operatively - and continues to gradually improve. Surgical care and facilities at UCLA Jules Stein was the best of the best. They took great care of me. I feel so lucky and blessed to have Dr. Hubschman as my Ophthalmologist / Vitreo-Retinal Surgeon. He exudes confidence and knowledge, and does so in a very positive and upbeat manner. I owe the saving my vision to Dr. JP Hubschman. We are quite fortunate that he is at UCLA Jules Stein. I recommend him 110% - he is an Angel. SS 2/2015

flag | Submitted April 10, 2015