Ratings for Dr. Jean-Pierre Hubschman

Dr. Hubschman did a great job on my eye detached retinal sugery. He is gentle, knowledgable and gifted surgeon. I heartily recommend him

flag | Submitted August 20, 2016

I had a retinal detachment in my left eye, with the macula detached. I was not comfortable with the first surgeon I saw, especially since he wanted to schedule surgery 7 days after the detachment had occurred. Dr. Hubschman's office accommodated my request for an appointment to get a second opinion. Dr. Hubschman was compassionate and caring and took the time to explain my diagnosis and options. He confirmed the original diagnosis, but offered to perform the surgery that afternoon. I felt extremely comfortable with him, and having read about his background, knew that I would be in very capable hands. I was also impressed by the professionalism, efficiency and caring attitude of literally everyone I met at the Eye Institute, from the receptionist to the nursing staff to the Fellows, med students and the OR staff. The surgery went very well. Dr. Hubschman was clear and firm about post op requirements, which I followed. Despite the detached macula, my vision has improved and continues to improve. I feel I owe my eyesight to Dr. Hubschman. I strongly recommend him and the UCLA Jules Stein Eye Institute to anyone with retina issues or other serious eye issues. Thank you Dr. Hubschman! M. Hatch, 11/2015

flag | Submitted November 4, 2015

I had an operation to close a macular hole in my left eye in December of 2013 by a surgeon not affiliated with UCLA. The surgery was not successful and the surgeon suggested that we re-do the operation. I decided to get a second opinion and contacted the Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA. As I did not know any of the doctors at Jules Stein, I asked the receptionist for a suggestion and was given the nome of Dr. Jean-Pierre Hubschman. I set up an appointment with Dr. Hubschman and was very impressed by both he and his staff as I was given a very thorough examination and was treated very well by all involved. Dr. Hubschman told me that he felt he could close the macular hole and improve my vision. I decided to have this second operation at Jules Stein. Dr. Hubschman operated on me at the end of August, 2015 on an out-patient basis. He told me at the time that the operation went well but I needed to strictly follow his post-op instructions, which I did. After two weeks of recuperation I returned for an examination by Dr. Hubschman and found out that the macular hole has closed and my vision had improved. Now, 6 weeks after the operation my vision is still improving and should continue to improve for another 8 weeks or so. The bottom line is that Dr. Jean-Pierre Hubschman is an excellent eye surgeon who fixed a problem that another surgeon failed to fix. In addition, the Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA is a world class eye facility for the treatment and research of eye diseases. What a perfect combination, a talented, skilled eye surgeon and a world class eye institute, why would you want to go elsewhere. Steve W. 10-OCT-2015

flag | Submitted October 11, 2015

Dr. Hubschman is a gifted surgeon. My retina had a lot of damage due to scarring from a virus I had in my eye years ago. I also had a cataract that needed to be removed which was a high risk procedure given the fact that my retina was damaged and therefore had a high risk of detaching. With two surgeries and some laser treatments Dr Hubschman was able to remove the cataract, clear up some of the scarring and strengthen my retina. As a result my vision improved dramatically. I am very grateful to Dr Hubschman for using his expertise to help me.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2015

I have been a patient of Dr. Hubschman's for the past two years for a condition of retinal membranes in both eyes. Having been an RN, I can honestly say that he is one of the most professional, compassionate, and knowledgeable doctors I have ever had the good fortune to know. In addition, he is passionate about his chosen field and has treated me with excellence. I had the membrane in my right eye removed in December, 2014 and the result was excellent. My entire experience in his office including the receptionists, technicians, fellows and nurses has been everything I could have hoped for. Dr. Hubschman is a superb physician and I could not recommend him more highly.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2015

Saw Dr. Hubschman for visual loss due to Macular problems, specifically a Macular Hole defect (a type of detached Retina.) Appointment was quick within a very few days. Dr. Hubschman was very polite, professional, informative and optimistic about a surgical repair and its outcomes. Vision was 20/200 to start, and improved to 20/50 post-operatively - and continues to gradually improve. Surgical care and facilities at UCLA Jules Stein was the best of the best. They took great care of me. I feel so lucky and blessed to have Dr. Hubschman as my Ophthalmologist / Vitreo-Retinal Surgeon. He exudes confidence and knowledge, and does so in a very positive and upbeat manner. I owe the saving my vision to Dr. JP Hubschman. We are quite fortunate that he is at UCLA Jules Stein. I recommend him 110% - he is an Angel. SS 2/2015

flag | Submitted April 10, 2015

When you go to see a doctor either for a visit, or for a procedure, you need to make sure that he is knowledgeable, caring, and able to communicate clearly. I went to see him few months ago and his sense of urgency and care was admirable. he is very proficient in what he is doing and has received many awards in three countries, England, Spain and USA. Beside all of these qualities, he speaks three languages fluently: English, French and Spanish.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2015

Got an appointment quickly to check out flashing lights and very dense floaters. Thorough investigation and diagnosis with a "spot weld" of an eye lesion. Subsequent and successful removal of dense floaters that blocked by vision. Will educate you about your condition and the alternatives with potential side effects. Easy to talk with.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2015

My wife had cataract surgeries on both eyes is her early twenties. Due to her stretched retina situation, no lens implants nor capsule removal was done on her due to the high risk of detached retina. With the corrective glasses, she was able to see close up and far away almost 20/20 without lens implant. 25 year later, the capsule that used to hold the lens has detached itself from the ligaments on one eye, and eventually on the other eye a year later, and piled up in the center of her pupil causing cloudiness and eventually blindness. This happened to the first eye on our third day of a two week vacation in Maui. Image the feeling of getting blind suddenly in Paradise. The experience was so dramatic. We had to take an urgent overnight flight in order to be at UCLA at 8:00 next morning to see her life time Jules Stein retina doctor. After checking her eye, he almost gave up on her as no other options are available for her than waiting for the clouds to ever go away ! Any surgery on her eye could have caused high risk on damaging her retina. My wife was miserable for long time. She thought she had no more options and blindness is her only destiny. Until Dr. Hirschman was called into her doctor's office during one of her too many visits at Jules Stein for a second opinion by her own doctor about her situation. His presence was very noticeable. He checked on her and immediately said: I will fix you, no problem. He said his words with authority and pride. He also added, and if something happened to your retina during the surgery, I will fix it myself. The confidence in him was like someone was capable of performing miracles. I personally felt unusual relief and joy in my heart. After answering a lot of our questions with full confidence, I was so impressed by his knowledge and expertise. The fact he has double expertise, retina and cataract, that made him more valuable and more impressive. I felt he was a messenger from heaven who was sent to help who needs him most. I Immediately told my wife he's the Man...! Incredible, how he restored hope back to her. He eventually performed vitrectomy , cleaned up the capsule and corrected holes in her retina with reinforcement of the retina perimeter, all in one operation. The first surgery was done successfully last year. My wife just recovered from her second surgery. I have no words to describe how successful that was again! She owes him her eye sight, and I owe him peace and joy back to our family life. We both are forever very grateful to Dr. Hubschman. He is definitely a prodigy doctor that the medical will always be proud of his tremendous accomplishments. Good luck Dr. Hubschman in serving the humanity, may God always bless your works! Elie Daher 12/12/2014

flag | Submitted December 12, 2014

Dr. Hubschman is the most caring eye specialist s that I have met. His knowledge, expertise, and his caring of the patients are admirable.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2014