Ratings for Dr. Parish A. Mckinney

I was a patient of Dr. McKinney for several years. She was one of the most caring and compassionate people I've ever met. Was so disappointed to find out her practice was closed. I really wanted my daughter to see her when she began having some mental issues.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2018

I couldn’t believe some of these reviews I read and had to provide mine. I transferred to Dr. McKinney, maybe 5-6 years ago, when my former provider retired. I will say she is busy and yes I had to wait sometimes up to 40 mins to see her, but you have to wait with any reputable, knowledge doctor. I’ve even waited longer, when seeing other doctors, dentists, Orthodontist’s, PT’s pediatricians, and so on. It’s just how it is - when one person runs behind, their entire day is behind. Dr. McKinney was very kind to me and to at least several of her patients who I know (who also see her). Dr. McKinney has never been aloof with me. Not one single time. She’s passionate about her work and helping her patients. She intently listened to my every word and concern, so she would know if medication adjustment was necessary. I trusted her and still do. She was familiar and understanding to my genetic concerns from MTHFR and offered support for all of my confirmed diagnoses. If there are adverse reactions to medications, then one has to know that this is typical when trying to find the right antidepressant or other med, and unfortunately, there are not many quick fixes. I tried numerous meds over the years, only to find one that works for about a year, then stops working. It’s just how it is. If people had issues with Dr. McKinney (can’t speak for her other staff) then I am certain there is another side to this story. Not doubting anyone’s story, just making the point that there are ALWAYS 2 sides to every story. It’s a shame that people can rate doctors but there is no follow through from the doctors. This should be monitored feedback, too. Because people can ruin the reputation of a very good doctor based on their story alone.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2018

I have been a patient at this practice for over 13 years. The office staff was helpful and attentive before my nurse practitioner, Meredith Baker, retired two years ago. After she retired, the atnosphere of the entire practice devolved. My new, assigned nurse practitioner, Leslie O’Neil , frequently made errors when recalling my patient history, made errors in writing simple prescriptions and refused to return phone calls when an appointment had to be rescheduled. I have moved two hours away from Greensboro and asked to be referred to another practice in my current city. I was told “psychiatrists no longer refer patients.” I was left without any solutions for medication refills since my new local appointment is two months away. I have never met or seen Dr. Parrish McKinney, not even for an intake appointment. The nurse practitioner sees me for 15 minutes, every six months for a “med check, weight abd BP.” Then I am out of the door. At least my other nurse practitioner, Meredith engaged in thoughtful dialogue and referred me to an excellent counselor. I would not recommend this practice to anyone. There is no patient care. It is a drug mill with no follow through and the once attentive staff is now gone. This practice should be scrutinized and reviewed by the NC State Medical Board. I will write a letter to follow up.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2017

I was a patient of McKinneys for a few years several years ago. I always found her to be cold, distant, uncaring and I always felt that she was faking a personality. When I lost my insurance they assured me they could help me with samples to keep me going. Should be easy since she married a pharma rep. At some point she and her staff decided not to help with my meds and I was cut off cold turkey, which we all know can be incredibly dangerous. I started withdrawals, developed a vicious tic on my face, which could have become permanent. I was lucky enough to get an appointment with another psych quickly and she was very alarmed by my state and quickly got me straightened out. I wrote a letter to the AMA about McKinneys behavior, expecting nothing but wanting it in her file, which is what happened. I strongly recommend that you do the same if you have had problems with this doctor cutting you off meds cold turkey or engaging in other dangerous activities. Being cold, distant and seemingly uncaring, not to mention saying things like she doesn't know what else to try or she thinks you're overreacting may not be grounds for AMA action against her but frankly I would love to make her complaint file with them bulge. She is not in this business for the right reasons and this practice is simply a prescription factory which no doubt is skewed towards enriching her husband and thus her, again. I strongly recommend you find another doctor before you put you life and sanity in this woman's hands.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2017

runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn:

flag | Submitted May 1, 2016

My daughter was switched to Leslie O'Neal. She advised us to take her off Cymbalta, but had us do it "cold turkey". Then she phoned in a prescription that we had never discussed. My daughter had terrible withdrawel symptoms; vomiting, diarrhea, mood swings, headaches, etc. I called the office to report this to Dr. McKinney and was told I had to talk to Leslie. She left one message and that was it. I was finally put in touch with a new Dr. and he told us that my daughter should never have been taken off her meds like that. He prescribed meds for her nausea and told us to put her back on 1/2 her dose of Cymbalta until we could see him. I used to see Meredith Baker and she was wonderful. It is dangerous that Leslie would do what she did to us. I assume we are not the only victims of her dangerous practices.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2016

I moved from out of state and was told that this was a great doctor. I saw her Nurse Practitioner Meredith Baker until she retired. Meredith was patient, caring, a good listener and extremely knowledgeable. From the reviews that I have read, she was probably a better provider than the doctor. After she left, I was told that I would have to see a new person - Leslie O'Neal. I have never seen the doctor but I trusted her last NP so I was open to the idea of being seen by another NP. Ms. O'Neal is possibly the most arrogant provider that I have ever seen. On my first visit, I waited for an hour and a half. I was her last patient of the day. She didn't listen, (every time I tried to speak she cut me off as if she was trying to rush me out of the office), she started a new medication and then stated she would see me in a few months. She then gave the secretary a high-five in front of me, who then made a comment about her being finished for the day. It was extremely rude. I had a significant reaction (heart rate in the 140-150's) to a new drug she initiated on my first visit with her. I attempted to report this to the office and Ms. O'Neal (and Dr. McKinney) never returned any of my multiple phone calls (to report the reaction and to ask if I should go back to taking what I was taking previously). I actually had to consult a psychiatrist outside of the practice and the area (a friend of a friend) who advised me to stop taking the drug of course. When I came back to the office a few months later, she asked me how the medication was going and I told her that I had stopped taking it because of the reaction. She actually raised her voice at me and demanded if I had notified her office. I am a well educated person with several degrees including an advanced professional degree and do not appreciate being spoken to like a five year old. I have seen her two other times. Each time I have again waited about 45 minutes only for her to rush me through. Each time she makes major changes to my medications without even knowing me, (because I don't get a chance to talk very much). On my last visit, she was wearing tight jeans and fuzzy knee high slipper boots. I finally tried to reach Dr. Mckinney because I was very concerned about all of the major changes being made. When I say major changes I mean that Ms. O'Neal was changing medications that I had been taking for years and had been relatively stable on. I received zero support. I would never refer a patient here. In fact if you look at the reviews here, people are either extremely satisfied or extremely unsatisfied. There are very few in betweens. I am guessing from my experience that as long as you don't mind waiting an eternity in the waiting room, don't expect to be able to actually tell your doctor or NP how you are feeling, and don't object to constant changes to your medications, (like you are some kind of laboratory rat), then you probably like this provider and her staff. Fortunately -- most people are NOT okay with being treated that way. Who knows if people other than me read these reports? I can tell you that I am looking for another provider. I would rather have my medications managed by my PCP if nothing else because I think that he is more knowledgeable and a better listener. Sad...

flag | Submitted December 15, 2015

Constantly runs behind, rushes patients through, cold and distant.

flag | Submitted October 11, 2015

Left the appointment with more stress than I came in with.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2015

I have found that Dr. McKinney's practice is comfortable, pleasant, and provides a calm environment if you have to wait. Normally, I wait 10-15 minutes for my appointment. Dr. McKinney is patient, reassuring, listens and asks pertinent questions. She has helped me substantially on more than one occasion and in general, keeps me on the right path. I couldn't be more pleased with the entire experience.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2015