Ratings for Dr. Steve YU

I love Dr. Yu! He's professional, a good listener, experienced and well-trained on the latest medical techniques. I saw him for a second opinion, and it was the best decision I ever made. The first doctor I saw recommended a hysterectomy. Dr. Yu explained that a hysterectomy was not necessary, and he successfully removed 14 huge fibroids with laparoscopic surgery. My uterus is intact, and I only have two tiny scars on my belly instead of a huge c-section scar! I couldn't be happier with my results. His nursing staff at UCLA is also AMAZING AND KIND, and the surgical hospital was so clean, you could eat off the floor. I fully trust and highly recommend him!!

flag | Submitted September 28, 2017

Dr. Yu told me to use hibiclens as a lotion leaving it on my genital area, which the bottle specifically says not to use on this area and to rinse it off. I double checked after using it for one day and his response was to continue using as discussed. This caused a chemical burn and allergic reaction after a couple days of use. When I emailed him to explain the new issues I was having he said to stop using hibiclens and contact a surgeon if i continue having problems, not even willing to correct the issues he caused with having a patient do something that was unsafe. SO UNHAPPY WITH HIS RESPONSE AND INITIAL CARE INSTRUCTIONS. Do not see this doctor if you care about your hooha.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2017

I recently underwent a prophylactic robotic hysterectomy and Dr. Yu provided outstanding care. During the initial evaluation, he took the time to clearly describe the procedure and encouraged questions and dialogue. His manner is kind, self-assured and open. He demonstrated clear knowledge regarding the procedure which was very reassuring. I was scheduled for surgery in an expeditious manner and he was at the hospital to check in with me prior to surgery as well as afterwards. He presents with excellent bedside manner and has a warm and caring approach. Importantly, the surgery went smoothly and I was back at work in less than week post operation. Two weeks later, it is hard to tell where the 4 small incisions were made and I feel great! I strongly recommend Dr. Yu to anyone who is considering this type of surgery.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2017

I recently had a laparoscopic hysterectomy, with Dr Yu performing the surgery. I can not rate Dr Yu highly enough. From a personal perspective, he was extremely communicative, reaching out to call me as soon as he had any results. He took the time to explain everything that I needed to know in a calm and thorough manner. I never felt rushed, and always felt he was happy to answer any and all questions. Additionally, I believe he has a great deal of respect for women. He had a healthy respect for a women's ovaries, likening removal of them to removing a man's testicles. Between this conversation and the tests that he performed, I had confidence that the likelihood of any unforeseen changes to my surgical plan were minimal. In addition both the office staff and his assistants were friendly, thoughtful and always helpful. My surgery was done at the SM Outpatient Surgical Center, a newly built location across from SM UCLA. The surgery went well and I returned home the next morning. My recovery went as expected. I had one question a few days later, and Dr Yu returned my call the same day. I have just gone in for my post op appointment, and everything looks great!

flag | Submitted April 16, 2017

Dr. Yu addressed me as 'Honey' while in his office today during my first visit.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2017

I want to share my experience from a extraordinary difficult procedure laparoscopic myomectomy. It was difficult because of the size and location of 8 fibroids ranging fr 4-12 cm. I like to encourage women who are unfortunate to have huge fibroids - to seek help and consultation to prepare them self of getting rid of them. It took me 10 years to decide. I am very scared of surgery, I had decided to live with them. The pain effected so badly I couldn't walk. I sat down and reflected on my choices. I am only 41. So I decided deal with it but from the best. I went to UCLA and met Dr Steve P Yu few times. I am very spiritual. This man is gifted. He will tell you facts. He will not push you into a decision - which I wished he had done more on my first visit. But knowing so many of us women can throw a fit and ruin Dr career. He will inform you. But the decision is yours. I trusted him with my life. He is not only confident but in such great shape that you can trust him in operative room. He is calm, he is sharp and has a great spirit. I knew I was in great hands. In fact I was so happy going into surgery. I came out of a 5h surgery stable. I walked few hours later. I stopped pain killer within a week. I had no complications no internal external bleeding. I had nearly no help at home. Still I survived post surgery. Today two weeks has gone. I am sooo happy - pain gone - flat stomach back - urination back to normal - mood swings gone - will pick up sports - eating normal stomach pain gone - and most importantly I cherish life every day. God bless! So If you have access to UCLA, you can trust the hospital & its Drs. I met few & picked Dr Steve P Yu because he is confident and has excellent surgical laparoscopy skills. It's worth getting your happiness back, So don't be scared!!

flag | Submitted February 3, 2017

Dr. Yu is amazing and I am still in awe with how he was able to help me and my situation. I consulted with Dr. Yu about a abdominal myomectomy due to numerous and a few large fibroid tumors in my uterus. I really wanted to avoid the hysterectomy option but was told that the myomectomy option would possibly involve a lot of blood loss and the need for a blood transfusion, which I was definitely not too keen about. However, I really wanted to preserve my uterus with the possibility of having children soon and Dr. Yu assured me he could remove the multiple tumors with minimal blood loss, all while keeping my uterus in tact. Everything he said was so true! I initially thought I only had like 30 tumors but after my successful myomectomy, it was revealed to me that the doctor had removed 77 tumors ranging from large to very small! When I saw the photo of the tumors I could not believe my eyes and I could not believe that all of those tumors were removed from my uterus, yet my uterus remained in tact and I did not suffer much blood loss at all. Even more amazing is that after I have healed over the past 3 weeks, there is hardly any visible scar on my abdomen at all. That was another huge concern of mine--that I would have a big ugly C-section scar on my body, even though I haven't had a baby. Once I am fully healed I believe there will not be any trace of this surgery at all. So I am very thrilled with the results of this procedure and can say wholeheartedly that Dr. Yu is the BEST!

flag | Submitted January 27, 2017

Just over a month has passed since I returned home from my laparoscopic myomectomy with morcellation, performed by Dr. Yu, and I feel like a profoundly different person. I realize how I suffered with my fibroid for years and that constant pain, pressure, bloating, mood swings and bleeding had become my new "normal". I wish I'd found Dr. Yu two years ago, when the discomfort really became unbearable. I cannot recommend him heartily enough! He's a gifted surgeon and a lovely man. Between 2011 and 2016, my intramural fibroid grew from 5 cm to 11cm. During this time, I met with my primary care physician and three different gynecologists, one of whom was an oncologist, multiple times. I was given conflicting information from each so I really didn't know what to do but continue to "wait it out". I tried oral contraceptives to manage symptoms at the first gyn's suggestion, but other than aiding with the hemorrhagic bleeding during my menses, they did little else to help. In fact, after a year or so, the heavy bleeding started again. I went to see another doctor who suggested a Mirena IUD. Again, this kept excessive bleeding at bay but that was all. I was still in constant pain. I was continually told that the fibroid would shrink after menopause (I'm 47) and that my surgical options were a traditional abdominal myomectomy or a hysterectomy. If I opted for the former, I was warned by one doc, the fibroid "could grow back." From the oncologist (who performed a battery of tests) I received the comforting news that at least he was "98% sure it wasn't a cancerous sarcoma." The fibroid continued to grow, despite regular exercise, my vegetarian diet, and daily dose of apple cider vinegar. I had the urge to urinate several times an hour. I often relied on ibuprofen to make the abdominal pain bearable so that I could sleep a few hours. I looked four months pregnant. My self esteem and sex life plummeted and I was often irritable with family and friends. Thanks to my own online research about highly-rated fibroid specialists in Southern California, I finally found Dr. Yu in Santa Monica. During my first meeting with him, he was able to review my tests, MRI and ultrasound results and performed an ultrasound himself, along with a thorough exam. He listened intently to my concerns and fears and provided me information that no one else had shared: mainly, that my fibroid could continue to grow aggressively and that after menopause (which for me is still some years away), it would likely shrink a mere 20-25%. He also told me that I was a perfect candidate for laparoscopic myomectomy with morcellation, patiently answered all of my questions that followed and discussed the risks (which, I should add, the potential benefits seemed to far outweigh). Through four small incisions, he explained, he would be able to cut around the fibroid, slice it into small pieces he'd then extract through said incisions. This would be infinitely safer than a an open-abdomen surgery. My recovery time would be minimal: I could resume light activity less than one week after the procedure! Dr. Yu even took the time to show me a video of the technique and assured me that I'd probably only need one night in the outpatient surgical center. Needless to say, I had much to ponder when I got home. Three months later, I went into surgery. I still can't believe how smoothly it went. From the moment I arrived at the outpatient center, I felt I was in the best of hands. The anesthesiologist was warm and confident as was the young doctor assisting. Dr. Yu told me that everyone was going to take excellent care of me, and I never for a moment doubted him. The next morning I returned home to my family and only needed to take prescription pain medication (Percoset) for that first 24 hours. I was then able to get by on ibuprofen 2-3 times a day, and by the end of the week I was accompanying my young daughter on her trick-or-treat rounds around our hilly neighborhood! It's now five weeks later and my bladder and intestines are working again as they should, I am pain-free, full of energy and optimism. Dr. Yu gave me back my life.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2016

I had a very large fibroid removed through laproscopic myomectomy with Dr Yu. I was terrified going into the procedure about the surgery itself and the recovery. I ended up having as good of an experience as could be expected. Dr Yu was fantastic, compassionate and extremely knowledgeable. The surgery center was great too, the nurses were very helpful. I'm two weeks out of my surgery and I'm already feeling the relief of my fibroid being gone. I highly recommend Dr Yu and laproscopic surgery for anyone suffering from large fibroids!

flag | Submitted December 1, 2016

Had two medium-sized fibroids removed through laproscopic myomectomy . Dr. Yu and his team were professional, pleasant and the surgery experience was almost enjoyable (as enjoyable as surgery can be!) If you have fibroids which are impacting your quality of life, don't hesitate to see Dr. Yu and his team.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2016