You may also like

Rate Dr. Ragy R. Girgis

Dr. Ragy R. Girgis's Ratings

He is quite arrogant, condescending and not especially pleasant to talk to. Not a good combination considering the generally sensitive and awkward nature of psychological issues. He made me feel incredibly uncomfortable when I tried to discuss LGBT-related issues, and this was a definite red flag, at least in my opinion. If we are to be very blunt, he is just a "glorified drug dealer" who tries to medicate away your troubles, while electing to disregard the psychosocial influences on a person's mental state. Oh, and don't philosophize about suicide and the meaning of life with him -- you might end up in the Psych ER!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2885199].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 4, 2015

Dr. Girgis has always treated me with a high level of empathy and professionalism. He presents as aloof but this has never detracted from the excellent care he has provided. His approach to medication management is very pragmatic. Additionally, I appreciate that he has always been easily accessible after hours.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2866867].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 15, 2015

He is incredibly awkward to talk to and seemingly lacking in empathy. He spends as little time as possible with you. I don't feel comfortable talking to him.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2857111].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 6, 2015

Given the positive reviews, I had high expectations for Ragy Girgis. I was transferred to Girgis by my previous CUMC psychiatrist whose judgement I greatly trusted. As others had mentioned, Girgis is a well-regarded researcher at CUMC and had secured prestigious fellowships and research grants. Given all this, I was rather surprised by Girgis' apparent shoddy knowledge, condescending manner, and overall stubborness. A clinician referring to Remeron as a "superb antidepressant" certainly raised my ire given that the clinical data show that it is a relatively ineffectual drug. Likewise his outright refusal to prescribe atomoxetine (Strattera) under the pretext that it is ineffectual and induces suicidal behaviour was similarly baffling -- I had used the drug quite successfuly with my previous clinician, clinical trials demonstrated its efficacy, and the "rate of suicidal behaviours" associated with Strattera is notably lower than with SSRI-type antidepressants.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][226988].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 25, 2013

Doctor Girgis is inexperienced, doesn't remember who you are from session to session, only interested in extreme patholgy, has a tiny world view. He doesn't 'do therapy', only writes prescriptions and endeavors to get patients in and out as quickly as possible. New York patients would be better off without him.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][226987].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 24, 2013

Dr. Girgis is the most caring doctor I have ever known, as well as probably the most intelligent. I have a long history of poorly managed depression since my late teens. I met Dr. Girgis through my graduate school student health services. He truly cares about me getting better. He has called me during the week to check up on me and seen me on Saturdays when I wasn't feeling well. He is very knowledgeable about medications. He is a well-published doctor-scientist as well. Dr. Girgis will refer you to other good doctors and therapists if you feel he is not a good fit for your treatment. He is just such a nice guy - don't hesitate to contact him if you need help. After years of going to doctors and spending thousands of dollars on ineffective treatment, I finally found someone who is intelligent, intuitive, and very kind. I would also recommend searching for other doctors affiliated with Columbia University.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][226986].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 16, 2012

Dr. Girgis is excellent. Knowledgable, caring, and good judgement. Also goes out of his way to help, like other reviewers have mentioned. Highly recommend.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][226985].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 29, 2012

Incredibly knowledgeable and kind. Goes beyond what other doctors do (checks in with my other physicians and consults with them), calls back the same day, very patient, understanding, and knows his stuff. I've never had a doctor who is so caring (in a gentle, non-aggressive way) and yet really takes care of business and consistently looks to ensure our consistent, good health. I've never trusted a doctor's knowledge and professional opinion as much as his. Highly recommend.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][226984].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 9, 2011

Dr. Girgis is empathic, warm, and focussed. I would recommend him to others.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][226983].votes_count ]]