Ratings for Dr. Ragy R. Girgis

Very weird experience. He's extremely difficult to talk to and feel comfortable around, especially in a situation (psychiatric appointment) where you already feel quite vulnerable. I definitely did not want to discuss any of my mental health issues with him.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2016

worst doctor ever. does not listen. all he wants is your money. stay away from this creep. despite being LGBT he has no compassion to other LGBT or even people. he laughs at patients misery when you leave the hospital, I heard him do this to a patient that went before me. he should atleast have the sense that people outside his room can hear him. useless doctor.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2016

He is worse than useless. Left appointments with him feeling worse rather than better. Doesn't do therapy -- or even to bother listening to what you are saying -- has his own cadre of pet drugs, and doesn't even seem to care about you either as a patient or a human being. He is enough to turn someone totally anti-psychiatry. STAY AWAY!

flag | Submitted February 17, 2016

You would think that with an academic appointment this guy would be marginally better! Unfortunately, don't expect any compassion (or even marginal human decency) from Ragy. All he wants is to give you some (probably off-base) psych diagnosis, drug you up, and send you on your way. And if he thinks you pose the slightest liability risk (i.e. talking about suicide, purpose of life), he will not think twice before sending you off to the "CPEP" (the so-called psychiatric emergency room), where you will be treated like a prisoner in a so-called 5-star, Ivy League-affiliated hospital. Spare yourself the time, money, and frustration to see someone else, please. Ragy needs to stick to research and rodents and not traumatize his fellow human beings by pretending to be practicing medicine.

flag | Submitted February 5, 2016

He is quite arrogant, condescending and not especially pleasant to talk to. Not a good combination considering the generally sensitive and awkward nature of psychological issues. He made me feel incredibly uncomfortable when I tried to discuss LGBT-related issues, and this was a definite red flag, at least in my opinion. If we are to be very blunt, he is just a "glorified drug dealer" who tries to medicate away your troubles, while electing to disregard the psychosocial influences on a person's mental state. Oh, and don't philosophize about suicide and the meaning of life with him -- you might end up in the Psych ER!

flag | Submitted August 4, 2015

Dr. Girgis has always treated me with a high level of empathy and professionalism. He presents as aloof but this has never detracted from the excellent care he has provided. His approach to medication management is very pragmatic. Additionally, I appreciate that he has always been easily accessible after hours.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2015

He is incredibly awkward to talk to and seemingly lacking in empathy. He spends as little time as possible with you. I don't feel comfortable talking to him.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2015

Given the positive reviews, I had high expectations for Ragy Girgis. I was transferred to Girgis by my previous CUMC psychiatrist whose judgement I greatly trusted. As others had mentioned, Girgis is a well-regarded researcher at CUMC and had secured prestigious fellowships and research grants. Given all this, I was rather surprised by Girgis' apparent shoddy knowledge, condescending manner, and overall stubborness. A clinician referring to Remeron as a "superb antidepressant" certainly raised my ire given that the clinical data show that it is a relatively ineffectual drug. Likewise his outright refusal to prescribe atomoxetine (Strattera) under the pretext that it is ineffectual and induces suicidal behaviour was similarly baffling -- I had used the drug quite successfuly with my previous clinician, clinical trials demonstrated its efficacy, and the "rate of suicidal behaviours" associated with Strattera is notably lower than with SSRI-type antidepressants.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2013

Doctor Girgis is inexperienced, doesn't remember who you are from session to session, only interested in extreme patholgy, has a tiny world view. He doesn't 'do therapy', only writes prescriptions and endeavors to get patients in and out as quickly as possible. New York patients would be better off without him.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2013

Dr. Girgis is the most caring doctor I have ever known, as well as probably the most intelligent. I have a long history of poorly managed depression since my late teens. I met Dr. Girgis through my graduate school student health services. He truly cares about me getting better. He has called me during the week to check up on me and seen me on Saturdays when I wasn't feeling well. He is very knowledgeable about medications. He is a well-published doctor-scientist as well. Dr. Girgis will refer you to other good doctors and therapists if you feel he is not a good fit for your treatment. He is just such a nice guy - don't hesitate to contact him if you need help. After years of going to doctors and spending thousands of dollars on ineffective treatment, I finally found someone who is intelligent, intuitive, and very kind. I would also recommend searching for other doctors affiliated with Columbia University.

Submitted August 16, 2012

Dr. Ragy R. Girgis's Credentials

• University Of Pittsburgh School Of Medicine (Grad. 2005)