Ratings for Dr. Arnaud F. Bewley

My mother was referred to Dr. Bewley at UC Davis after 4 visits with her current physicians due to a basil carcinoma cancer on her lower chin that had metastasized. All 4 doctors told us this would be a massive surgery & described it: remove all teeth, partial cheek, chin & possibly chin bone. We met Dr. Bewley, he ordered tests & after results came in, we met & said this would be a simple surgery about 9-11 hours, removal of all cancer & reconstruct surgery. We were dumbfounded but very happy that it was not as bad. We asked to remove her teeth (we begged. he told us no. Surgery: 5/19/14- this type of basil cancer is undetectable (it hides in tissue) she had massive cancer on her right cheek. The surgery lasted 6 hours, he called & told us to come upstairs to the waiting room, said all went well with the surgery & she'd need reconstructive surgery w/ Dr. Skyes. We were ecstatic, came to waiting room told the receptionist instructed us to have a seat. 2 nurses came out after 10 minutes (not DR. BEWLEY) & told us to be prepared, it was a massive surgery, to stay calm. My brother and I came around the corner and were in total shock, disbelief almost to the point of fainting. He had butchered my mother's face up, cut her lower lip complete off, took the corners of her upper lip, pinned them together at a point on the bottom and sewed it up.....a straw could barely fit through the tiny hole. She had huge stitches on the right side of her cheek and a smaller one on the left. I wish I could upload the pictures for your viewing, it's horrific! He DID NOT EVEN COME OUT TO MEET WITH US AND EXPLAIN WHAT HAD HAPPENED! It took me hours to get a hold of him to have him explain what he had done since he had told us SEVERAL times this was going to be an easy surgery! He never did explain the situation to us, we had to have the nurses explain to us what the h*ll happened and what went wrong. Of course they're not going tell us everything to protect themselves and that idiot doctor. The nurses in ICU were AWESOME and so helpful. They took such good care of my mom and we knew she was in good hands especially with keeping her mouth cleaned with the suction tube. Then, 2 days later they had to move her out of ICU and she went to a regular room. All the while, Dr. Bewely barely saw her, he'd send in Dr. Skyes, (who was wonderful to her and very, very supportive) to check up on her rather than him. The nurses on that floor were NOT very helpful, didn't like to suck out her mouth of mucus, other particles and dry blood, which was something extremely important so we had to do it. She was in there for 5 days and they NEVER GAVE HER SPONGE BATH or changed her sheets! I finally asked one nurse on the 5th day to please give her a bath. She said she would and if I could help her get my mom in the wheel chair and wheeled into the bathroom. So I help get my mom in the bathroom and the nurse comes back in and told me she had to go take care of an emergency with another patient if I could give my mom a bath! So I had to give my mom her bath all by myself.....totally unbelievable! I was SO happy when she was release from that horrible hospital. To this day, Dr. Bewley has NEVER ONCE called to see how my mom is doing or how her several plastic surgeries are coming along.........nothing! He's rude, inconsiderate, uncaring and has horrible bed-side manners. Her recovery was agonizing, painful and a lot of infections.......since he REFUSED to remove her teeth, her mouth was sewn close shut so tight and with all the teeth in her mouth, she ended up getting a horrible infection in her gums, teeth and mouth! She actually started getting an infection in the right side of her face where the stitches were, her local physician was very worried and couldn't believe what UC Davis had done to her and how uncooperative Dr. Bewley had been. She went through h*lll and back! I was extremely upset with Dr. Bewley, I was ready to contact a lawyer and pursue a law suit on him and that hospital, but my brother calmed me down and told me to forget it, lets concentrate on getting mom better. It's been almost 2 years now and thank the Good Lord for Dr. Skyes and his office staff they are exceptional people except for Ursula. She is rude and impatient and not a very nice person. My mom is finally waiting on her last reconstructive surgery, but we've had major issues with her teeth. No dentist will touch her so we've been working with Dr. Skyes and he contacted a UC Davis dentist (THAT WAS ONE FLOOR ABOVE DR. BEWLEY'S) and got approval for him to remove her teeth, but she will not be able to get dentures like Dr. Bewley had told us. My family and I are extremely appalled at Dr. Bewley's actions, incompetence, and uncaring nature. He knows he made an error in detecting all of her cancer, yet he just kept ignoring my mom and us. I just pray that if anyone comes to this man with a massive case, please seek a 2nd opinion!

flag | Submitted March 8, 2016

So lucky to have found Dr. Bewley! He's kind, caring, and a top notch physician.

Submitted June 21, 2015