Ratings for Dr. Roshan P. Shah

I recently had a partial knee replacement done by Dr. Shah. The whole process was great. Dr. Shah had been giving me different treatments to relieve the pain but after quite a few different treatments, it was apparent to me that I needed knee surgery. We talked about it and set a date and I had it in August 2019. I was done as an outpatient. As soon as I woke up from the surgery and had something to eat, the hospital team had me up and walking with a walker and even had me climb a flight of stairs. It was amazing. Dr. Shah's team set me up with in-home physical therapy and visiting nurse services which were great. I went food shopping and to the mall a few days after surgery using a cane just to keep others from bumping into me. Two weeks out, I saw Dr. Shah and have pretty much full range of motion (130 degrees, not sure how much more to go). My knee is still healing and is sensitive to the touch but I am feeling so much better when I walk or climb stairs. I will be starting physical therapy on my own soon but feel very confident that I will be able to accomplish the goals on the script. I know I have a ways to go but the whole experience was not as scary or as painful as I had anticipated. All in all, I would like to thank Dr. Shah and his team for their excellent service and for performing such a successful surgery.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2019

Superb, thoughtful, skilled. NYC is full of the best of the best in every field. Shah is the best in NYC hands down. Get him while you can. People who know (physical therapists, rehab centers, other doctors) all told me their top choice was Roshan Shah.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2019

Dr. Shah , his staff and the hospital worked together to transform my son who suffered from Legg-Calve-Perthes syndrome. He is 18 and suffered for 5 years. As I sit and write this he is outside working in the yard. Only 3 weeks out from surgery he is not on any narcotics and walks comfortably . He climbs 15 steps morning and night to get to his bed room with ease. Jacob starts college in a few weeks with his new total hip replacement. I highly and unconditionally recommend Dr. Shah. a. mesick, chatham ny

flag | Submitted July 25, 2019

After suffering for so long with osteoarthritis in both hips, I could barely walk. A friend recommended I see Dr. Shah, as he was a former patient and very pleased with his successful hip replacement. After meeting with Dr. Shah and his nurse Laura, I felt very confident I was in good hands. I had bilateral hips replaced and returned to work 3 weeks later. Dr. Shah is an amazing surgeon, he gave me life back and I would recommend him to anyone needing orthopedic surgery. Dr. Shah, his entire staff and the hospital staff as well, PT included, all deserve nothing less than a 5 star rating. All the best, Adele Del Re

flag | Submitted July 8, 2019

After a disastrous experience with a 2015 total right hip replacement, I was desperate to find a top-tier orthopedic surgeon who specialized in revisions. My femur had been cracked and half of the prosthesis failed to knit to the bone, leaving me with a permanent limp, instability, and 24/7 pain. I called a college friend in the orthopedic field, told him my story, and asked him to find a NY-metro-area surgeon to "save my life." And that's exactly what Dr. Shah did! He is an amazing surgeon (a miracle worker, from my point of view) and a really great person. I cannot recommend Dr. Shah (and Laura, his terrific PA) highly enough!

flag | Submitted June 8, 2019

I am a very active 64 old male who has seen many orthopedic doctors and surgeons over the years for knee and hip pain. After intense research, it was literally a miracle to find Dr Roshan Shah. I have never met a more caring, intelligent doctor who takes his time in evaluating and explaining exactly what is wrong and what needs to be done to repair it. He is very advanced in his orthopedic techniques and will go far and beyond his call of duty. He took the time to make sure I understood every aspect of my problem and situation. What would occur both pre-op and post-op. He also made sure I was very comfortable with what had to be done and what rehabilitation afterwards would consist of. He without doubt is an excellent committed doctor/surgeon. I totally trust him, his knowledge and his judgement. I would highly recommend him. I had a total hip replacement in the morning, was up and walking early afternoon and was home that same day in the late afternoon with less pain than I had previous to surgery due to Dr. Roshan Shah's perfection. I did my physical therapy rehabilitation at home for 2 weeks then got the OK to drive and now I'm doing out patient physical therapy. Dr. Roshan Shah is a life saver to say the least.

flag | Submitted February 28, 2019

I recently had a partial knee replacement surgery with Dr. Shah. The surgery and recovery are going very well. On one of my early visits with him, I related a not-so-good experience I had with another surgeon, and asked that in treating me, Dr. Shah be honest and straightforward, tell me all I need to know. He said he would, and he did. When we decided on surgery, he answered questions truthfully, was not manipulative, made sure I understood what I should do before and after the surgery. During the operation, Dr. Shah stayed in the OR while they switched a machine, chatted with me and staff, brought me a blanket. He asked what music I wanted to hear before they knocked me out, and we agreed to classical strings. He put on Andre Segovia. After surgery he called my wife and answered all her questions, and stopped by to talk with me in the recovery room. His whole staff, particularly R.N. Silverio, has been very responsive and helpful, even cheerful. Good doctors treat people, not just body parts. I can't say this is the experience of every patient of his, but I was quite impressed. Thank you. Please keep it up. -Scott L.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2019

I highly recommend Dr. Shah. He is an outstanding surgeon and was helpful n providing me with important information in our discussions. My recovery from total knee replacement has been beyond my dreams. After 3 and a half weeks I am able to comfortably walk in the city without a cane or pain!

flag | Submitted January 30, 2019

Just had my right hip replacement 2 weeks ago and doing great walking around the house without a cane. Waiting for the left hip replacement and getting back to a quality way of life and playing games on the floor with my grand kids and tying my own shoes, Can't thank Dr. Shah enough, he is very professional, thorough and he will listen to you and answer any questions or concerns that you have, never too busy. I would definitely recommend Dr. Shah,

flag | Submitted January 30, 2019

7 weeks after hip replacement surgery by Dr. Shah, I am fully back to my normal life: taking the subway, the bus, driving, swimming, writing, and able to do all of the tasks I did before, but without pain! I look forward to getting back to volunteer gardening in Fort Tryon Park this spring.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2019

Dr. Roshan P. Shah's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Roshan P. Shah, MD, JD, specializes in hip and knee reconstruction and focuses on the use of minimally invasive techniques for less pain and faster recovery times. He believes there are many valuable pain-relieving treatments that do not involve surgery. When an operation is needed, he embraces careful surgical techniques with attention to the biological, anatomical, and mechanical restoration that is critical for a pain-free return of function. Dr. Shah has a particular interest in challenging primary and revision hip and knee replacements, as well as associated fractures and infections. He has worked extensively in the field of complex reconstructive surgery and is passionate about restoring function and a life without pain. Dr. Shah has made several contributions to research, having published 18 peer-reviewed articles, five textbook chapters and 13 editorials, in addition to giving more than 25 scientific presentations. He served as editor of the University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal and the Yale Journal of Health Law, Policy, and Ethics. He was also an associate editor for the Stanford Law and Policy Review. Dr. Shah has been honored with four research awards, including 1st place at the Orthopaedic Research and Education Fund/Orthopaedic Research Society symposium, 2nd place at the Philadelphia Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Research Symposium, the AO Kathryn Cramer Award, and the University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal Resident Recognition Award. He holds one provisional patent application for a patient safety device innovation. As a former Washington health policy fellow for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Dr. Shah continues to advocate for policies that serve patients, improve access to care, and support research and innovation. He was invited to speak on FDA regulatory issues and innovation within the field of orthopedic surgery at a meeting in Washington, D.C. A native of Camden, New York, he earned his B.A. in Chemistry from Dartmouth College, with additional concentrations in philosophy and public policy. He received his doctor of medicine degree from Yale University and his juris doctor degree from Stanford University. He was a resident in orthopedic surgery at the University of Pennsylvania, where he received the DeForest Willard Award for outstanding performance as an orthopedic senior resident and the Marvin E. Steinberg, MD Award in Adult Reconstruction for outstanding work in the field of adult reconstruction surgery. He also completed a post-doctoral research fellowship (in the field of tissue engineering for orthopaedic surgery applications) at the McKay Orthopaedic Research Laboratory. Before joining ColumbiaDoctors, he held a fellowship in Adult Hip and Knee Reconstruction at Rush University.

• English

• Yale University (Grad. 2005)
  • Dartmouth College (Grad. 2001)
  • Rush University (Grad. 2014)

• Hip replacement