Ratings for Dr. Lawrence L. MacDonald

Absolutely appalling bedside manner. I had one issue with my cpap, and came back in immediately to investigate. He was dismissive of the symptom I experienced and instead, asked why i didn't just lose weight instead of using a Cpap. (I suppose I should just hope I lose weight fast enough before I die of one of the episodes of aspiration I've been having). He even offered me stimulants to help me stay awake rather than trying to help me look into the issue I experienced. He made comments about my weight until I was in tears. He then asked me if I cry like that often. While still in tears, he recommended "obesity surgery" (I assume that he meant bariatric or lap band weight loss surgery, since "obesity surgery" is not a typical term). I feel this was an irresponsible, bordering on dangerous recommendation. For both physical and emotional reasons. Here are the reasons that would qualify someone for needing for bariatric surgery: -You are more than 100 lbs. over your ideal body weight. (I am not) -You have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of over 40. (I do not) -You have a BMI of over 35 and are experiencing severe negative health effects, such as high blood pressure or diabetes, related to being severely overweight. (My BMI is lower than that. I have low blood pressure, normal blood sugar, normal cholesterol levels, etc) -You are unable to achieve a healthy body weight for a sustained period of time, even through medically-supervised dieting. (I admittedly have a hard time losing weight, but I have never seen a dietician, etc). I also struggled with starvation and unhealthy weight loss in the past, as well as binge eating disorder currently. This doctor's lack of sensitivity for a serious topic was appalling. He has set back strides I've taken to improve my emotional health, in addition to making I'll-advised recommendations. I will not return.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2017

HORRIBLE. Extremely unfriendly and seems in a rush. He acted annoyed with every response I gave him, as someone who has slept walk nearly my entire life he is the LAST doctor I would ever want to work with. His response to everything was aggressive, and he even lifted his hand at my mother when she tried to speak and told her not to. He also called our cellphones with information for the WRONG patient, so unprofessional. For a doctor working with people with serious issues such as sleep issues, you would think he would be a littler nicer. Basically told me the sleep study was a waste of time, but should do it anyways. such a JOKE.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2017

He only cares about sleep testing. He did not trear me for my breathing disease which is why i was sent to him! He was very wierd and odd! I was uncomfortable the entire visit and could not wait to run out if his office never again!

flag | Submitted June 26, 2017

Something about this doctor screams BS from the moment he walked into my hospital room. He rattled off a list of things he said WERE wrong with me and I needed testing and a sleep study and a CPAP and so on. It all seemed so carnival barker. I did the sleep study. TV and DVDs were promised Neither were furnished. Conditions were miserable. a very hard bed I brought my pillow but it wasn't enough. Technician was cold and indifferent. Sleep with a pillow over my good ear as I sleep on my bad ear because of hip issues. Results EXTREMELY MILD apnea. STILL pushed the cpap. Like he gets a spiff on each one he sells. (Spiff: bonus) Because I sleep with a pillow on his sensors I believe it interfered with the testing. I was referred to a neurologist. Other doctor of 20 years said forget it. The whole thing just seems like a referral and machine store. I stood out from everyone else in the waiting room as per weight, Loose weight or take the CPAP. I am dieting now. have lost weight DID THEY WEIGH ME??? NO! Did not set another appointment and most likely will not.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2017

Went into a great detail! I never knew so much about Sleep Apnea! The staff was super helpful and very cheery!

flag | Submitted May 10, 2017

Has a cold monotone demeanor and if your problem isn't a sleep disorder he orders the basic tests and when they came back negative gave no more solutions and didn't want to explore anything further. He's rushed and doesn't explain things. He made me feel like he thought I was making my symptoms up and I always left his office in tears. Thank God I got a new Pulmonologist and have been properly diagnosed and am continuing treatment. Would never recommend him.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017

Seems like a knowledgeable Doctor. Easy to talk to.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2015

Doctor reviewed second CAT Scan after initial scan showed one single pulmonary nodule. Came into the room and told me there were no changes in the second scan and that things were good. I asked to read the report and the report of the follow up CAT scan did say no significant changes at the bottom but in the report it noted 4 pulmonary nodules of varying size and not a single nodule as stated in the first report. When I pointed this out he had nothing to say and tried to sell me a sleep study at his office. Obviously this doctor did not read the whole report. Additionally this doctor does did not have significant enough equipment to properly read the cat scan in his office. If you go to him... be your own physician. DO NOT got by what he tells you. I for one will never go there again.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2011

Dr. Lawrence L. MacDonald's Credentials

• Wayne State Univ Sch Of Med, Detroit Mi 48201 (Grad. 1989)