Ratings for Dr. Warner Chen

I agree with the review above that describes Chen as "weird, controlling and rather boastful...if you don't buy into his myth, he becomes rather testy." Long story short, I went to Chen for acupuncture treatments twice back in 2000 when I was 18 for asthma, far away from my home and family in another state. For asthma, Chen charged me $800 for "life saving herbs" (turned out to be iron pills and something else), and also told me that he wanted to teach me how to "harness sexual energy" so that I could breathe better and have more energy day-to-day. Again, I was a teenage girl at the time and away from home... Before anything went further, I called my parents and they had our doctor/acupuncturist call his office to question him. All of a sudden, "I don't speak English...I don't speak Cantonese...I don't speak Mandarin." My recommendation of going to Chen: Don't do it. Stay away.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2014

My own experience of treatment with Dr. Chen is that he's a weird, controlling and rather boastful guy. Although he claims he will tell you straight away if he can't help or doesn't know what's going on, I don't think that ever happens. I went to see him feeling truly horrible, and he said my problems were easily fixed and due to mild liver chi stagnation. I was diagnosed a year later with advanced metastatic cancer. From what I've seen personally, and from talking with other patients, it seems like he's got a kind of cult of personality thing going on with a handful of 'students' and semi-celebrities who seem to think he has super powers. Sadly, he does not. But if you don't buy into his myth, he becomes rather testy. There are many more effective, less self-aggrandizing acupuncture practitioners in NYC. I found one after my cancer diagnosis who was of immense help. I cannot recommend Dr. Chen to anyone with any real health problem.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2011

I'm thrilled with this clinic! I suffered from horrible stomach cramps every morning for years and no doctor could figure out what was wrong with me, including 3 gastroenterologists. Even though I was skeptical, I decided to give acupuncture a try because a friend suggested it and I was desperate. Unlike most doctors offices, there was no wait time and best of all the day after my 1st treatment I had no stomach pain in the morning. I can happily recommend Dr. Chen's Acupuncture clinic because I've experienced first hand how wonderful this place is.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2011