Ratings for Dr. Stephen L. Shopbell

Dr. Shopbell is the best Psychiatrist I have ever had in 30 years. He listens and offers help. His use of ECT has saved my life, Although I am not having ECT at the present time, I would trust him to do it for me again if it would be needed.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2015

Dr Shopbell and his staff literally saved my life! He always was very straight forward and his staff was always accomadating. He also made it possible to see him when I wasn't scheduled and needed to see him!

flag | Submitted July 18, 2013

At first I thought his silence and staring at his desk (on the opposite side of a huge office over 10 feet away from me for the entire appointment!) writing notes as I spoke, indicated a deep commitment to getting all the details right, a true intellectual. But no eye contact for the entire visit was odd. (!) Looking at his watch also not a good way of showing empathy especially in this specialty where the patient is already unhappy. Overall seemed very detached and just not quite engaged. Dismissed side effects I complained of as not related to meds he prescribed, when in fact they were a direct cause and well-documented. Not good! Overall a nice man, polite, pleasant, just a little too aloof.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2010

Dr. Shopbell is the best Psychiatrist I have ever had in 30 years. He listens to me, he is willing to try different things when others don't work. I have no problems getting appointments with him. His use of ECT has been a life saver for me!

flag | Submitted January 20, 2010

This guy was a complete snot to me; arrogant! In addition, he acted very condescending to me. A few years back, he kept me on a 48+ hour hold at Mercy hospital, even though he knew/was aware that my insurance did not cover psychiatric care at his hospital system (hospital out of my network), and I should have been sent to Aurora. I ended up with a 18K bill that took me several years to pay off, and I am still of course very upset about it! He also gave me like 30 pages on my diagnoses which he "diagnosed" in 30 seconds. So, basically, I was supposed to only "read" about his 30 second diagnosis as if he was my professor, and I was taking a class from him.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2009

He says about nothing and just stares at you like you are something in a lab cage. He doesn't ask questions to get to the bottom of your problems--you just babble undirected. In 3 years he never read my records, never tested me, and did not have a diagnosis. I deceided to leave. He is very arrogant and not in touch with his patients. He yawns--drinks tea, watches his watch and acts bored to death.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2009

This guy literally turned my sons life around. At times my son refused to talk but he got thru to him and I cannot believe the difference it made. It didnt happen overnight and it took alot of patience on all of our parts but it was Dr. Shopbells approach that got us on the right track. I think my son would have ended up dead or in jail if this doctor had not worked with him.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2008

very helpful nice person easy to talk to he has helped me very much

flag | Submitted May 29, 2007

I had a very NEGATIVE experience with Dr. Shopbell. I would recommend you see someone else. I've never had such an insensitive psychiatrist. He not seemed to be arrogant, interuppting, and only in the business for the money.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2007

Dr. Shopbell is very intellegent. Kind of intimidating. I have seen him for a years and for the most part I have been very happy. He is however very busy and I think sometimes he has too big a workload. I've had 4 appointments cancelled. (and I inderstand that some of them), but there was one time that was very critical for me. I counting on seeing him that particular appointment. t

flag | Submitted March 29, 2007

Dr. Stephen L. Shopbell's Credentials

• UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS MEDICAL SCHOOL (Grad. 1996)