Ratings for Dr. Stephanie M. Burrell

Two positives to begin- Dr. Burrell herself is a very personable doctor with a nice bedside manner. I also was taken back to an exam room on time. That, however, is where the positives end. If the whole experience hadn't been so aggravating, it would have been comic how terrible it was. I went in for a routine physical. I was there two hours. The exam room was frigid and there was nothing to read. After two hours, looking at one's phone gets pretty old. I also had been fasting since 10 pm the night before and my appointment was 12 hours later so I was starving. I was weighed and then the nurse/tech tried twice, once in each arm, to draw blood for labs unsuccessfully. She had very little to say except it was her first day there. She also couldn't get the blood pressure cuff to work and no else checked it so I had a physical without even my BP being checked. I spent a total of 10 minutes with Dr. Burrell. She had my two sheets of paper from a physical 6 years ago that she reviewed and asked if there was anything new. She listened to me breathe and pressed on my abdomen. After waiting a while longer, I was told to give a urine sample. I did and returned to my exam room to wait some more. Someone came in and asked if I did a urine sample, I said yes, and she left, leaving the door open so I got to watch the lack of efficiency first hand. The same nurse called at me from across the hall at the nurse's station to come to her (I'm really not making this up. I felt like a child being called to the principal's office). She was mumbling to herself and seemed super annoyed but was able to draw my blood without any issue. She said I could leave but needed to come back in a week. I had to ask where to go to check out. I went to the front desk and the receptionist said "and who are you again?". I told her and asked if owed a copay and she didn't know so she sent me to another lady who didn't look up until I spoke. She said if they didn't take the copay at the beginning then one wasn't due. I asked if I could exit the door immediately behind me and she said "no, that's for the doctor's". So, I went back out through the lobby (which was full of poor souls who, too, would be wasting hours of their life in that office today), and went home.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2016

My first visit the doctor was outside of the door laughing and joking for over 40 minutes even though I was the only patient there.. total disregard for my time. After discussing with her my health concerns she said she was going to get me a knee x-ray and she would be right back. Next thing I know somebody is coming in the room and saying I can leave now and when I say well I was waiting to see about an xray they all act like I don't know what I'm talking about and wanted to scoop me out of that room to get the next person in. I left baffled and confused but had to make a second appointment because I had important blood work done. I get a call saying my blood work is back and that the doctor wants me to come in and get a physical. I come in and as previously had to sit and wait forever to be seen .. when she finally comes in the room there's no physical done and she reviews my blood work and states she's concerned about my sugar level.. and wants to put me on some kind of cholesterol med. Like the last time next thing I know someone comes in the room and tells me I can go so when I ask about the prescriptions I'm told her she's going to call them in. Yeah that never happened. I did get more blood work done that day because of her concern about my sugar level but here it is two weeks later and I'm still calling trying to find out the results. I would never recommend this doctor even to my worst enemy because she is completely disorganized ..does no follow up.. and seems to create reasons that you have to keep coming back every week paying your copay for an appointment just to get answers that can be given over the phone. I'm currently searching for another doctor.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2015

Some of the staff is very unprofessional which does reflect on the doctor and affects patient confidence. One in particular is very disrespectful of her and has made negative comments, even hinting that people should switch to the other doctor in the office. There have been slip ups in prescriptions and referrals. She seems to be a good doctor, but I want to find someone who is not only a good doctor but has a good support staff.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2015

Dr. Burrell is awesome. I have LOTS of medical issues, and Dr. Burrell has done a tremendous job of coordinating all of my various doctors and medications. I interviewed doctors before selecting Dr. Burrell because I knew I needed someone who could handle a patient with multiple serious illnesses, and help keep track of everything. The whole staff at North Alabama Family Medicine gets a thumbs up from me,. and Dr. Burrell gets a very special Thank You. I am in good hands, and I know it.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2014

In all honesty I would not recommend this doctor to some one I didn't like much less recommend her or her staff to someone I love. There is no follow through with this doctor at all. She has no qualms giving you samples for something then just calling in your script with no follow up to make sure this medicine is working for you. She orders tests (mammograms, ultrasounds, bone density) and then does not follow up with you. You end up having to call and be told that they are not sure why no one has called you but you do need to come into the office and speak with the doctor to go over a course of action. So you schedule with the doctor to only have to wait 45 minutes in the waiting room, and when you do not have anymore time to wait and need to reschedule they can not give you a time that she is not already over booked.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2013

We moved from Huntsville to Madison a couple of years ago and have been looking for a doctor close to home. Quite frankly we have had a lot of trouble finding someone. Dr. Burrell is wonderful. Her bedside manner is incredible. Her nurse was very helpful and made my child comfortable. She took the time to listen to the problem and listens to her patients. This seems to be a lost art these days. I was able to have a say in my healthcare and she did not take offense to any questions or suggestions I had.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2012

Started seeing Dr. Burrell when we moved here, my children & I needed a family doctor. At the time, there was really no other choice, she was the only one close by who was taking new patients. It didn't matter if you had an appointment, we would have to wait hours! We continued to see her, until one of the nurses left a very unprofessional message concerning my child on my voicemail, regarding a refill on a non narcotic depression medication that needed filling. That was it! I have since not been able to shake the fact we were once patients of hers, haven't seen her in over 2 years and just received a bill that is completely incorrect, AGAIN! Would not refer anyone to this doctor!

flag | Submitted August 1, 2012

Unprofessional from the first day and with the sorority sisters nursing staff we changed Doctors immediately. Their location is great but we would rather drive a few more minutes/miles and have correct diagnosis and friendly staff members. We could over hear the nurses talking about their husband's different sexual desires while waiting 40 minutes to see Dr. Burell. Go to a walk in clinic it is faster.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2011

Dr. Stephanie M. Burrell's Credentials

• University Of Alabama School Of Medicine (Grad. 2008)

MSP/BC Med