Ratings for Dr. John P. Naus

All I can say is that within 5 weeks of being Dr. Naus's patient, my 51 year old husband of 30 years was dead. December 5, 2014, three weeks before Christmas and four weeks before our eleven year old son's, twelfth birthday, my husband purchased a gun at 9:22am at Bass Pro Shop and shot himself across the street from the store that sold him the gun. Leaving me a widow and our eleven year old son without his father. Contrary to what some may believe, my husband was trying to live, he was willingly and actively seeking help, following his doctors advise, making and meeting appointments, filling and taking the medication prescribed. Two-weeks after my husband committed suicide, Dr. Naus's office sent me a bill for an appointment my husband missed after he died. I contacted Dr. Naus to advise him that his patient, my husband was dead and unable to keep his appointment. Dr. Naus did not kill my husband, but he did prescribe the "black-box" medications that explicitly state that these DRUGS may INCREASE THE RISK OF SUICIDE. Obviously, he was not monitoring my husband closely enough or not at all. If he had been monitoring my husband at all, he would have known about his death and never billed him for a missed appointment. My husband and I had been married, 30 years, and in that 30 years my husband had never struck me ever. After 3 weeks of taking the drug Celexa, my husbands behavior became more volatile, unpredictable, and impulsive. During the last two week of his life, my husband hurt me on 3 different occasions. This was his crucifixion. Mortified by his behavior, a sense of shame he could not forgive, the mounding guilt, and the agony of an unrelenting depression that moored him beneath the bottom of the abyss. It was too much. My husband had depression no doubt about that; however, only five short weeks after seeking medical care from Dr. Naus, he was dead. Dr. Naus, a specialist in psychiatry, a doctor trained specifically to identify, treat, and abate depressive disorders, provided my husband with the ammunition he needed to kill himself. Just so we are clear, when the corner produced the toxicology report, the only drug present in my husbands blood and urine was Celexa. Celexa was prescribed to my husband by Dr. Naus. One-year after my husbands death, I spoke to Dr. Naus and explained my theory of what triggered my husbands death, I wrote a letter to the FDA documenting his death, the changes in his behavior, and the events leading up to his death. I asked Dr. Naus to validate my theory, in the hopes, that by providing this information we might heighten the awareness or raise a "red flag" that these medications should be MUCH MORE CAREFULLY prescribed and only when the patient can be in a controlled environment and closely monitored by medical professionals and not by the mentally ill patient. To send a person, suffering from diagnosable depression, home with script that could potentially INCREASE thoughts of suicide, and expect an already mentally ill patient to monitor their own thoughts, in my opinion is malpractice. If a person suffering from depression were capable of monitor their own thoughts, they wouldn't need to seek medical treatment in the first place.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2017

Staff was prompt, courteous and helpful. Time in the waiting room was not unreasonable, and Dr. Naus's initial assessment and commentary on doctor/patient relationship and his assessment of my needs was appropriate and helpful. I appreciate his mandatory initial drug test as a diagnosis tool. At this point I would absolutely recommend him to someone seeking psychiatric treatment.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2015