Ratings for Dr. Philip J. Hlavac

I had a Brain Tumor Dr. Hlavac performed the surgery did a excellent job. Love this man saved my life. Very compassionate and great office staff. He did surgery on myself and ACDF on my husband couldn't be happier with the care we both got.

flag | Submitted December 27, 2016

He needs to learn how to schedule his patients. 4 Years ago my husband had back surgery. The first surgery appointment was BEYOND RIDICULOUS. My husband was on the hospital gurney for at least 12 hours, probably more... because Hlavac was "behind".. He was NPO(nothing by mouth) from the night before and lying in excruciating pain until the Great Hlavac came out and said " I can do the surgery tonight, but I am tired" wtf??!!!! What is wrong with this picture??? So he scheduled him for the next day, surgery went well and pain was gone. That was thw only good outcome. Well, here we are 4 years later and my husband is having the same pain as he did 4 years ago nefore the surgery. His family doctor, that's another review I need to do, hasn't done anything in the past 6 months with 3 appointments , just naproxen and Baclofen, no MRI ordered and then proceeds to tell him to call the neuro surgeon for an appointment. So Dr. Hlavac was called, his appointment was for today, and they called 30 minutes prior to cancel!!!!!!! Dr. Hlavac, you should really learn some bedside manners, and tell your staff the same thing. You can't allow people to be in excruciating pain for weeks because you Fucked up and scheduled surgery or decided to take the day off last minute and now he has to wait AGAIN, and Hlavac probably won't do anything for him anyway. I'm so angry and annoyed. When someone has back pain, thats who they are, just pain, their quality of life is shot, along with everyone around him. Thanks Dr. Hlavac, you're great! This is why people in our area end up going to Philly, because our doctors are jokes

flag | Submitted July 8, 2016

This Dr would not see me without a new MRI, my last one was 21/2 years ago... ummm things only get WORSE not better with time. Filling out paperwork is a joke because your SS# tells them EVERYTHING... even the fact that I am OBESE... when I was one on one, said must loose 100 pounds! Why did they even waste my time? DON'T EVEN BOTHER GOING IF YOUR FAT.. ALL YOU'LL GET IS A WEIGHT LOSS INSTRUCTION PAPER!

flag | Submitted April 21, 2015

I went to Dr Hlavac in 06 we came to agree on surgery for my L5/S1 for herniated disc after surgery pain was worse so more test another MRI and on MRI showed I had a metal artifact in my spine. He continued to tell me it was from my tubal ligation which I knew wasn't the case. He dismissed it and was done with me. In January of this year I needed an MRI and the hospital wouldn't do it cause of the metal. So I had to make an appt. to see him again this time he sent for a myelogram which was the worst thing ever and ended up having problems with it he blew me off telling to go to the ER to get a blood patch done! Wouldn't recommend that on my worst enemy. I go in to discuss results and all he was worried about was if the metal showed up. Ended up going to another dr and needed to have more surgery done and low and behold he removed metal artifact incased in scar tissue. How nice is that!!!! I would never recommend this dr to anyone just because of my experience!!!!!

flag | Submitted December 27, 2012

Dr. Hlavac is the best! He listens, he understands your pain. I would let no other neurosurgeon touch my spine. He helps you come to the correct conclusion for your needs. He does not perform procedures lightly and is very conservative. He has a great staff, from the receptionist to his nurse all are professional and personable. I would wait a year if I had to to see him. I know he is going to do what is best for me. I can't say enough about him.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2012

i was in intolerable pain for nearly six months until i had surgery with doctor hlavac. when i woke up i was uncomfortable at the incision site but the pain i felt previously was GONE immediately. his bedside manner was excellent and his office staff compassionate and understanding. if i had to do it all over again with him i would, though hopefully i won't have to!

flag | Submitted September 8, 2012

Not a great bedside manner. Also, last visit he said I had 3 herniated discs and a bulging on my spinal cord and probably needed surgery. This time since I had just lost my insurance he said the MRI was wrong and I'll just have to do pain management and "There is nothing I can do for you" QUITE A CHANGE - IF YOU DONT HAVE INSURANCE DONT BOTHER HIM.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2012

Dr. Hlavak was new to the area at the time and he was very professional, knowledgeable, compassionate, understanding and patient with me. His office staff was also very professional. I would recommend him to anyone!

flag | Submitted May 9, 2009

I WAITED 6 MONTHS TO SEE THIS DR. HLAVAC. I FELT VERY RUSHED. DIDN'T THINK HE LISTENED TO ME AND WAS IN TO MUCH OF A HURRY TO GET ONTO HIS NEXT PATIENT. NOT HAPPY WITH DR. HLAVAC OR HIS STAFF THEY WERE RUDE. CHARGED ME $40.00 CO-PAY AND WAS SUPPOSE TO BE $20.00 AT THE TIME AND NEVER REFUNDED BACK TO ME. DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS DR.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2009

barely spent any time with me, i felt like i was rushed in and out , so that he could see as many patients as he could. hardly looked me in the eyes....

flag | Submitted February 19, 2009

Dr. Philip J. Hlavac's Credentials

• Albany Med Coll, Albany Ny 12208 (Grad. 1993)

Secure Horizons