Ratings for Dr. John ESSEPIAN

Both my husband and I have been patients of Dr Essepian since 2002 when my husband's retina surgeon told him Dr Essepian was the ONLY opthomologist that he would recommend to perform cataract surgery following the repair of a detached retina. We were so comfortable with his treatment over the years, including the managing my husband's glaucoma that when we moved to CA we continued to retain him as our primary opthomologist and scheduled all of our needed visits during summer trips back to the NoVa area. I have had both cataract and lens replacement surgeries with perfect result. Most recently, Dr Essepian identified a series of undetected small TIAs, prompting me to seek immediate attention for that condition. Having moved back to the Annapolis area, we consider the one hour drive in to Alexandria or Fairfax well worth it for the confidence we have in the health of our eyes. Yes, there is no joviality in a visit, but then that's not why we see him!

flag | Submitted December 12, 2017

I have decidedly mixed feelings about Dr. Essepian. I have no complaints about my eye surgeries. Both were very successful and uncomplicated. In my book Dr. Essepian earns his reputation as a great surgeon. His staff were always very helpful and kind to me. His office seems well run and I don't remember ever waiting any excessive length of time to see the doctor. However, it is Dr. Essepian's bedside manner that I find troubling. Dr. Essepian can be congenial and even kind, but most of the time he is not. With me he was mostly curt, impatient, sometimes rude, and easily offended. He rarely offered information nor did he invite questions. Being a woman, I wondered if his attitude was the same with his male patients. I would be hesitant to recommend him to my family or friends.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2017

I found the doctor to be excellent, he stired me away from unnecesary things . The cataract surgery he did was verry succesfull.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2017

I presume he is knowledgeable, I don't know. I wasn't good enough to be his patient and was dismissed.

flag | Submitted December 15, 2016

I found Dr. Essepian to be honest and knowledgeable. He explained my condition to me and advised me to hold off on surgery until absolutely necessary. His staff was pleasant. They were prompt. I don't know what they could mean about his smile as he was quite charming and has a beautiful smile.

Submitted November 18, 2014

This doctor is weird!!!! Avoid him if you have to. I totally agree with the 1st reviewer. He is very unpleasent.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2014

I've been his patient for about ten years now, and have always found him to be very helpful and knowledgable. I've just read a review complaining about him, and some of the comments are true and obviously will bother some people, but personally I don't care about the fact that he has a serious demeanor (tends not to smile), is stiff, and might be described as conceited. Much more importantly, I feel I can trust him 100\%: he won't recommend surgery unless the patient will benefit from it, and he has always been very helpful and knowledgable. He has informed me about the connection between a couple of skin conditions I have, and eye problems (which surprised me, but its accurate). When my 11-year-0ld son needed a second opinion about proposed eye surgery, Dr. Essepian gave us his opinion even though he doesn't normally see children and won't personally perform surgery on them. btw: he has been a medical missionary in Africa, and he won't accept gifts from drug companies.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2013

flag | Submitted August 16, 2011

I absolutely do not recommend this doctor to anyone. I took my dad to have a cataract surgery. Because his insurance pays for only one annual eye exam, we were unfortunately got stuck with this rude doctor. This doctor is disrespecful, conceited, and unprofessional. It was so uncomfortable going to this doctor each appointment. I felt bad for my dad. Sometimes he entered the room without even saying hi or anything. He would go straight to the examining chair not saying a word of what he would do. Sometimes I felt we were dealing with a robot than a human being. Even a robot, I think would give some kind of comfort. As far as his work, it's too early to tell. At a follow up appointment, I mentioned to him that my dad complains of grainy, teary eye. He very rudely said "he just had a surgery, what do you expect!" His behavior is totally unacceptable. I never saw him gave a smile to his nurses or other staff. He is just a miserable doctor! I am so glad we are done with him.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2011

Dr. John ESSEPIAN's Credentials

• GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE (Grad. 1988)