Ratings for Dr. Gary S. Fischer

Hardly ever have to wait. Whenever your appointment is, you are usually called before the time or very shortly thereafter. Knowledgeable and very helpful. His staff associates could be a little more helpful.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2009

Dr. Fischer is the best. He understands issues, works hard to get complicated things right. Takes as much time as I want, but otherwise is fast, thorough, and succint. I have recommended him to several people, including my own sons. UPMC internal medicine is a big operation and while the staff are generally good, it is not hard to get lost in the system. The one time this happened I mentioned it to Dr. Fischer, and I got an immediate, personal, and more than satisfactory apology along with action. I always schedule my appointments for the very beginning of the day. I suspect visitors to UPMC IM at 3:00 may have a different experience than I have at 8:00am.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2008

A wonderful doctor! He has been my physician for 14 years, and is brilliant (Harvard Med Schl), competent and kind. He is known for his excellence throughout the medical community here. I believe he may have saved my life by finding the right medication to cure an antibiotic-resistant pseudomonas infection I got in the hospital after surgery. I have chronic conditions - diabetes, high blood pressure, hypothyroidism, and recurrent sinusitis and bronchitis. He monitors all of them, and works with me to keep them under control. If I need a specialist, he refers me. He fills out disability forms for me when I need them. He is supportive when I am depressed. He calls me when he thinks it necessary, and always sends me a formal snailmail letter telling me my latest test results. The only problem: he works for a large hospital-based practice run by a corporation which continuously underfunds it. The staff is underpaid & overworked, but they try to give good service.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2008

He's too important to listen, very arrogant, needs to wash his hair. He's obviously more interested in his title than actually practicing medicine. Twice I kept getting billed because he wouldn't fill out the right paperwork, up to one year. If I would ask him a question, he wouldn't answer me, or would make some curt, smug remark. I was a Pitt employee and they would try to force you to go to this guy. He seems to connected to the medical school to really care. Anytime I went to see him, there was a good chance there would be 4 interns in the room; educating his interns was his first priority.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2007

Dr. Fischer was referred to me by a very good friend of mines. The availability for becoming one of his new patients, was well worth me looking into. A physician that you knew after the first visit that this is a great Dr. He loves his work, more important he cares for his patients. He answers concerns to the best of your understanding. Keeps up with your health record and informs you in a timely manner of concerns that he may have regarding your health care. I'm pleased to have been one those patients. The care from him and his staff I give A+

flag | Submitted May 30, 2007

Awesome docto - takes time with you as a patient. Very understanding, returns phone calls himself, calls about test results. Couldn't ask for a better doctor!

flag | Submitted May 23, 2006

Dr. Gary S. Fischer's Credentials

• Harvard Medical School (Grad. 1990)

• BCBS Illinois