Ratings for Dr. Jonathan M. Silver

I was referred to Dr. Silver for depression and insomnia. He was dogged and creative in finding an effective combination of medications to cure the insomnia. He closely monitors my antidepressant medication and adjusts it when appropriate. He is friendly, attentive, professional and always available when I need to confer with him outside of our regular office sessions. I have recommended him to everyone I know how is looking for a psychopharmacologist.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2014

Having a long history of tbi and concussions and conflicting findings by those who have studied them, I went to Dr. Silver for the continuation of the investigation into how my neurological and psychological conditions effect each another. I assumed this meant Dr. Silver would need to understand me psychologically as well. The first thing he did was begin weaning me off a seizure medication that I had been taking for 30 years in order to see what I was like without it. But every time I wrote to fill him in on psychological matters I had left out during the intake and to tell him how I was feeling as the drug left my system, he almost always answered, "I do not do psychotherapy." After two weeks, either because I was on a lower dose or due to something entirely emotional, I felt extremely depressed and he told me to stop decreasing the dosage "for a while." About two weeks later and a few days before our next appointment (a month after the intake), I reminded him that since he had never told me to continue decreasing it, I wouldn't be off the drug when I saw him next, as had originally been planned, and asked if there was any point in seeing him. His answer was, "You decide." So, after almost a month of having virtually every attempt at meaningful contact ignored or met with one empty example of double talk after another, I wrote to him and said, "You are no longer my doctor, " to which he replied, ""Our therapeutic relationship has deteriorated to the point where I can no longer treat you and suggest you find another psychiatrist." I have no reason to think Dr. Silver considers his patients to be anything more than inanimate, unfeeling machines for him, the master mechanic, to have as little to do with as possible. He gave me no indication that he wants anything to do with the "messy" emotions that make up the other side of psychiatry. And the degree to which his bragging wall and bragging windowsill are covered with testaments to his own greatness, including photographs of his family, makes me think he's much too in love with himself to care very much about anyone other than himself.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2014

Dr. did not evaluate patient correctly. Was not professional. Prescribed improper medication resulting in aggravated condition. This doctor is to be avoided under all circumstances.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2010