Ratings for Dr. Paul E. Shok

As a teenager, I had Paul Shok as my Orthodontist. His staff was usually good, but sometimes rough and rude, such as when they didn't believe I'd broken a bracket off on a soft French Fry. Well, that was what I was eating when it happened, and it was two days after a tightening, so I don't know what else it could have been. They would claim I was chewing gum candy when I don't even like gum and haven't chewed it since before having braces. Not once. They'd criticize how I brushed my teeth, claiming I never did despite them witnessing me brushing my teeth again before an appointment at their own sinks. But that aside, they were fine enough. My real problem comes with having my braces removed about 8 years ago. They fitted me for my retainer after painfully removing my braces. My gums were so swollen and bleeding because of their poking and prodding. But I knew from others that Dr. Smith fitted for retainers up to 2 weeks after having braces removed, to give the mouth a rest. I got my retainer less than a week later and it didn't fit. Not even close. And because of my insurance, I wasn't allowed to see Dr. Shok again until my wisdom teeth came in (I'm 26 now and only 1 has come in. The upside? It fits in my mouth and doesn't bother me, so I leave it alone). After a week of forcing my retainers on every night, I gave up. It hurt so bad, worse than having braces ever did, and the only way I could get them to fit was to suck them on until my gums were swollen and they held. Even then, they'd fall off halfway through the night. So yeah. After a week, I stopped wearing my retainer. I wouldn't say my teeth are messed up because of it. They've spaced out again a bit, but my teeth are straight, at least. Still... would I recommend this doctor? Yeah, I suppose. But I'd also be extremely careful. Assert yourself when you need to. Don't let the staff call you a liar. And make sure you know what your options are before having a retainer fitted. I feel like they were just trying to rush me out because it was my last appointment on insurance.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2016

Only filling this out to counter the review of the person who called Dr. Shok all those ignorant things. That man couldn't be more OPPOSITE of what you said. Get your facts straight before attacking someone because of your own arrogance.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2014

I was a patient of Dr. Shok as a child and he did a wonderful job. My bracket also came off my bottom teeth a year after my braces were removed and I also had to pay to have it replaced but I think that it was a reasonable charge since. I now take my son to Dr. Shok and they are always prompt with appointments and very friendly. I would recommend Dr. Shok to others and have done so.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2011

My wife and I absolutely would NOT recommend Shok to anyone. His aftercare or retention service is a joke! My daughters lower retainer came off after 8 months of getting her braces off. Shok wanted $175.00 to glue 2 minute brackets on. He is a cocky, arrogant, pompus ... and doesn't care in thee least bit about his patients after he receives his money!

flag | Submitted February 21, 2011