Ratings for Dr. William J. Shaughnessy

Dr. Shaughnessy saw our son for a limp he had in his gate. Turns out, our son has a malformed hip socket. Dr. Shaughnessy eased our minds and was very thorough. We also hot a quick call as soon as the results were in from him explaining everything!! He was very prompt and thoughtful. We feel blessed to have been seen by him. We would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2016

Dr. shaughnessy operated on my 6 year old son who had broke his leg in a fall the, he also found some bone problems that other doctors had missed. when we went to a different hospital. we are so greatfull that Dr. shaughnessy came into our lives.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2009

Dr. Shaughnessy operated on our son for scoliosis when he was 15. Five years later the rods broke and the inflammation from the broken rods around the spinal area caused further damage. A second surgery was done, but was not successful. A third spinal fusion with more rods was done 1½ years later, and at that time it was discovered that a bone infection most likely introduced during the second surgery was probably the reason it had not healed. We wish Dr. Shaughnessy might have considered that and possibly saved him from the third surgery, which was very traumatic. He has been left with a lot of pain, possibly because of so much surgery and injury to the nerves.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2009

I was treated by Dr. Shaughnessy for scoliosis beginning about 15 years ago, and I still think of him as the best, most knowledgeable and caring physician I've ever had. It was initially thought I'd have to have surgery, but after five years in a brace (not fantastic, but still better than surgery) under Dr. Shaughnessy's care my spinal curves were corrected to an almost normal degree, and have remained that way. He was wonderful when I was a scared kid; later on, when I was in high school, he became a meticulous and encouraging mentor to me. He arranged to let me observe a spinal surgery (so I could see how non-threatening it actually was), and then we worked together on a study of scoliosis treatments. He also wrote me a letter for college (like the previous commenter). As a doctor and as a human being he is the best. If your child has an orthopedic condition you could not possibly do better than to be treated by Dr. Shaughnessy.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2008

Dr. Shaaughnessy is a pediatric orthopedic surgeon. I was 15 when I saw him (peds is up to 18) as we were unhappy with my initial care elsewhere. I do think it's hard to go wrong with the Mayo Clinic as Dr. Shaughnessy really exemplifies what it means to be the best in the world. His medical information was straightforward and obviously his technical skills excellent. He's the sort of doctor that puts you at ease and goes way above and beyond in so many ways. He ended up writing me a recommendation for college and really achieved the best outcome given my injury. I will always be grateful to Dr. Shaughnessy for his excellent technical skills and awesome approach. Years later I sent Dr. S. a picture of me running my first marathon (I wasn't even a runner when he treated me) which would not have been possible had I been in less capable hands.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2006

Dr. William J. Shaughnessy's Credentials

• University Of Wisconsin Medical School (Grad. 1984)