Ratings for Dr. Emil Chynn

Dr. Chynn was the best decision I've ever made. I went to almost every LASIK center in NYC, but none of them could treat me vision because I had both a high prescription AND thin cornea, so they all said it would be unsafe to get LASIK. One day, a coworker who also had an extreme Rx (-15.00, which was significantly worse than my -10.00) said he got his eyes fixed with LASEK by Dr. Chynn. I googled his office and noted his very high ratings. In addition, he graduated from Dartmouth, Columbia, Harvard, Emory, and NYU (I graduated from "just" NYU myself), and had performed over 20,000 procedures, both LASIK and PRK and LASEK. Dr. Chynn also has the RECORD OF TREATING THE WORLD'S HIGHEST RX OF -24.00 which was important to me, as I was in that "extreme" category myself. I was really excited because I started to think nobody would treat me. So went on to a Free Consultation. I learned that unlike the old LASIK where they cut the cornea, where one can potentially get hit in the eye and it can come off, this is impossible because LASEK is 100% NON-INVASIVE. They remove just the skin of the eye called the epithelium to laser your eyes. NO CUTTING THE CORNEA, NO FLAP. This is why Park Avenue LASEK can safely treat much higher Rxs than is possible with LASIK, because by skipping the flap-cutting step they have much more cornea to work with. The rest is history. Now I am seeing better I was seeing in my ugly glasses and expensive ($500/pair) custom contacts, or a perfect 20/20 (before I only saw 20/25)--all thanks to Dr. Chynn!! It was the best decision I've ever made. Plus they only charged me $1/day more than what I was spending on glasses/contacts/solutions. Dr. Chynn is available by text 24/7, so whenever I had a question, he was always there, even on weekends/evenings. He is the only laser vision correction surgeon in NYC that allows this, which was important to me, as I was pretty scared, given my extreme Rx. Bottom line: if you were told by some eye doctor that you can't have LASIK, that may be true--but it also means you should go to Dr. Chynn for a free consultation to see if LASEK might be the answer for you--as it was for me!:)

flag | Submitted November 20, 2017

After researching the various Laser vision correction methods, I knew I wanted to get a non-cutting procedure because I'm a full time student who values risk benefit ratio extremely highly. I also live an active life and play a lot of sports so I didn’t want any LASIK flap dislodging so I stayed away from any LASIK centers which turns out to be nearly every other center in NYC. I chose Park Avenue LASEK since they are the ONLY ones who offered a completely NON-cutting procedure with an extremely successful track record. The fact that Dr Chynn helped invent LASEK when he was at Harvard comforted me and sealed the deal, along with the fact that he has performed 5000 LASIKS so he is a unique position to evaluate the pros and cons of both LASIK and LASEK, providing me with enough information to make a safe and informed decision. Dr. Chynn was also the only surgeon to offer his cell phone number so that I was kept in contact 24/7 in case I had any questions. I couldn’t have felt more reassured! The process went smoothly and Dr Chynn’s professionalism and knowledge kept me informed and comfortable throughout my journey. Thanks to all those at the office. The procedure itself was completely pain-free and now I’m seeing better than I’ve ever seen before even with contacts. In fact, I’m now seeing better than 20/20 thanks to everyone at Park Avenue LASEK.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2017

Dr. Chynn is my primary eye doctor. My vision was not that good since I was a 15 years old. In 2010 I had a LASEK surgery, and it helped a lot. Now I see very well. Since then I do regular checkups with Dr. Chynn. Every time it is fast and nice experience, don’t need to wait. Every time I need to do a checkup or have a question about my eyes I stop by Dr Chynn practice - and always have the best advice. I would recommend anyone thinking about laser vision correction to see Dr. Chynn because his LASEK is NOT LASIK. LASEK is much safer because there is zero cutting involved. With LASIK there are a lot of risks involved including permanent dry eyes, poor night vision and needing glasses or contacts afterwards (which is the entire reason why you’d want to get rid of them in the first place) You should check out their website at www.ParkAvenueLASEK.com to find out more if you’ve been thinking about getting this done.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2017

Park Avenue Lasek is the only place where you can have a refractive surgery or correction for your eyes without blade. It is a more advanced technique than Lasik. Dr. Chynn is probably the most experienced refractive surgeon in the US. He completed his BS in Biology from the Dartmouth College and his MD from the Columbia Medical School which is a very hard school to get into and graduated with honors and did his Residency at the most prestigious place in the US for Ophthalmology Residency: Harvard University's Massachusetts Eye & Ear. I have heard Dr. Chynn since long but I was rejected by too many doctors because my Astigmatism is so severe so I was afraid that he will reject me. And, at one point I was about to come to him but I went to Dr. Bonanni who accepted me. But, Dr. Bonnani passed away like last year because of Accident. Dr. Chynn has been a pioneer since the Lasik technique was invented at the Columbia Medical School and also when LASEK was invented at Harvard. When I came, there were a lot of people coming from far including Chicago and Europe just to have the surgery with Dr. Chynn. Dr. Chynn said: he can regain my sight into 20/20 for both eyes while Dr. Bonnani the only person who accepted me said: he can only regain my sight into 15/20 and 18/20. Dr. Bonnani said he was very sure that nobody can regain my sight into 20/20. But, Dr. Chynn said he could. After comparing, I believe Dr. Chynn credentials is way above Dr. Bonnani. I wish I had met him earlier or gave it a chance last 2 years. I believe my sight would have been 20/20 by now. Dr. Chynn could solve my problem, I am very optimistic he could solve your Eye problems also.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2017

Dr Chynn did my LASEK surgery in Autumn 2016 and the change to my vision is nothing less than miraculous! My office is near his and not only can I now see the individual leaves on the trees, but the smallest detail on the highly decorative Flatiron building.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2017

The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. The office is modern and easily accessible. Dr CHYNN is top notch-professional ,experienced, and easy to work with. Fantastic results! I achieved 20/20!

flag | Submitted September 22, 2016

I had been wanting to get rid of my glasses and contacts for years but was unable to get Lasik because I had such a high prescription. Dr. Chynn assured me that I was a good candidate for Lasek. The procedure was extremely fast and was completed without any complications. I noticed a serious improvement within the first 2 weeks. I am still recovering but I'm already seeing 20/25. The recovery period is longer than Lasik, but from what I can see its completely worth it. The staff was very warm and helpful. This experience has been better than I could have expected. I highly recommend anyone who is considered getting their vision corrected to do it at Park Avenue Lasek, you will not regret it!

flag | Submitted August 2, 2016

I got the surgery this jan and love it. I am better than 20/20 and jave spotless night time vision. My eyes took time to heal but the results are amazing. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to have it. Follow the instructions, be a good patient, and you will never look back!!

flag | Submitted June 23, 2016

After the initial consultation and a few extra exams the doctor recommended me to do to make sure I am truly a good candidate for Lasek, I was scheduled for the procedure. The procedure itself went really quickly (maybe 10 minutes) and I was out of the doctor's office in about three hours including the waiting time. By my 1st post-op visit, which was one week from the procedure day, I was already very happy about the result. I can still feel subtle improvements in my vision every couple days and I am now roughly 20/30 and 20/40 with better vision still to come (since Lasek requires longer recovery time than Lasik but in exchange there are major benefits such as better final vision and better night vision). I had a very high prescription so this was the results the doctor told me that we could probably achieve during the consultation. I would be close to or past the upper limit which is safe for LASIK to treat, but well within LASEK parameters, which is one reason Dr. Chynn switched from performing the older cutting LASIK to the newer noncutting LASEK in 2003. Overall, I am really grateful that I can now see very well without glasses and Dr. Chynn and his staffs are absolutely fantastic!

flag | Submitted January 20, 2016

I have serious doubts about trusting Park Avenue LASEK after a recent office meeting. This place seems to be a lot of hype and promises, but delivering disappointment. I agree with the negative reviews on YELP, this office is out for your money with a non-refundable 2nd opinion/appointment reservation fee of $500. An extra $300 if you want PreVue Lens. Miscommunications regarding procedure, scheduling, and fees abound. I asked about discounts and the 20/15 guarantee in 2015 - totally ignored. $3500 for one eye, $7000 for two eyes - way overpriced. I heard many patients voice their disappointment about their surgery at this office. LASEK is similar to PRK, you're probably better off going elsewhere and getting epi-LASIK by a more competent office. Don't believe me, simply sit in the waiting room office for an hour.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2016

Dr. Emil Chynn's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

• Columbia University College Of Physicians And Surgeons (Grad. 1992)