Ratings for Dr. Amanda G. Sparks-Bushnell

I saw Dr. Sparks in May of 2014. I told them when I made the appt. that I could not afford the $12,000 TMS treatments and asked if Dr. Sparks worked with patients w/medication, too, and I was assured that she did and was very experienced with different treatment options. When I saw her, she asked me a few questions, then told me that no prescription would work for me and that TMS was the only option she could offer to treat my depression. She encouraged me to let them submit the $12,000 treatment to my insurance, which denied it. She spent most of my visit showing me promotional materials for TMS, including flip charts. She also used the "F" word in talking insurance companies, which I thought was unprofessional. A nurse swabbed my mouth because the visit was supposed to include "genetic testing", but I never heard from them again after my insurance company refused to pay for the TMS treatment. I sent them a registered letter to ask for a refund of my $300 payment for this initial visit since I received no benefit from it and did not get the care I asked for, and I never heard back from them. I continued to experience severe depression for another couple of months until I saw another psychiatrist who simply prescribed Prozac, which has worked beautifully for me. Dr. Sparks may have been a legitimate psychiatrist at one point, but from my experience I'd say that this practice is all about getting $12,000 per person from insurance companies for the still experimental TMS treatments, which most will not cover. I would caution anyone who doesn't have $12,000 to spend to avoid this practice. And I'd still like my $300 back!

flag | Submitted January 16, 2015

flag | Submitted February 21, 2014

Dr. Sparks is very personable and easy to relate to. She knows her medicine and explains things very clearly. She is available in emergencies.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2011