Ratings for Dr. Karis D. Knight

Dr. Karis was a kind person, but I would not recommend her as a doctor for anyone. Had 4 hour wait for first appointment, and then my first actual appointment lasted around 2-3 hours, but 90-95% of it was spent listening to her talk about herself, her kids and about the situation of the kid/patient before me that resulted in the 4+ hr wait. I felt like the entire experience was surreal, but due to lack of psychiatrists in NE Alabama I was worried I wouldn't be able to get in with another doctor so I kept my next appointment- another appointment I waited for 2.5 hours and had later plans so asked to reschedule. Receptionist was her husban oh was an atty, and they were nice about it and provided gas $ since I drove from out of town, but another work day I had taken off wasted. After a third appointment and a lot of expensive blood work she have me a referral for, switched me from anti-depressant I had been on for 10+ yrs to a random esoteric and expensive Prozac by a specific pharm manufacturer, before switching 3 weeks later to a new anti depressant that had just been approved by FDA within last 6 months. No clear tapering or schedule to transition despite multiple email and text questions- I basically winged it based on google and websites/forums- calling by phone is useless-huge recording and rarely are returned- emails and patient portal messages hot or miss- randomly dr will text a whole lot which was so odd to me. My other rx's were only written for uncommon brand names because he said generics were ineffective and watered down- my rx bill in first 4 months of '15 were as much as total for '14. My family noticechange in my general mood levels on branded expensive fluoxetine for the worse, but this doctor said was unrelated to med change. As I tried to start the really new anti depressant- had terrible reaction/experience- within 6 days of starting new anti depressant she gave me samples of but no directions for apart from on the box and my own online research despite multiple email requests, had very rapid spiral into deep depression and never before experienced suicidal ideation- in retrospect I can see how irresponsible this doctor was and it makes me so upset- luckily I have a family and work place support system that knew something was up and I could feel that my thoughts were not logical or I might not be here. Totally unacceptable to prescribe medication without proper guidance and I am still trying to figure out why give me some just on the market anti depressant- so new the dang er and hospital had never heard of it. After I went to the ER and stabilized (took less than 36 hours after hospital immediately put me back on previous RX's) I came home and researched Fetzima and dr's using just released anti depressants, and realized it was totally ridiculous for a doctor to prescribe such a relatively unproven drug to a patient with no issues on their current proven anti depressant. I have found a much more responsible doctor now- and she, the Er doctor and my gen physician have all said unprovoked that dr knight was acting in irresponsible, careless, and dangerous manner. Dr knight seems like a nice lady but I hope patients look elsewhere for their own sake.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2015

Very bad experience with this Dr. Would not recommend to anyone

flag | Submitted March 3, 2015

Dr Knight is the most knowledgeable, thorough, caring doctor my family and I have ever seen. She has helped us through some extremely difficult times. Her first response is not to put a person IMMEDIATELY on medicines, but has alternative treatments for many situations. We have NEVER had any insurance filing problems with her office. Actually, extremely consistent and "uneventful" with our insurance company. She goes over and beyond what is necessary....she TRULY cares about her patients. So, occasionally, yes, we may have to wait a little longer than expected, but that is the special part of her....she's not going to cut you off mid-sentence because your "time" is up! For Pete's sake, bring a book or take some time to relax and realize the person in the room ahead of you may just be needing her help a bit more than you might be, at that time. Personally, we have been seeing Dr Knight for 8 years, and there is nobody else I would even consider seeing.

flag | Submitted January 9, 2015

Very knowledgeably, but the wait and actual sessions, along with lack of knowledge related to insurance had me looking for another MD. They can't seem to keep staff which actually says a great deal about the office as a whole.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2014

Horrible billing staff. All they care about is money, not people!!!!!

Submitted April 11, 2014

I've never actually seen this dr. I've tried several times to make an appointment and can't get anyone to answer the phone. I have left messages to never have my calls returned. I finally about 3 weeks after my initial contact, received a call back and was able to set up an appointment. I had to cancel this appoinent because of a conflict in schedule and had to leave a message and asked to be called back to reschedule. My call was never returned and I could never get anyone to answer the phone again. I give up.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2013

Unprofessional and uncaring; gave me a prescription for medicine uncovered by my insurance and wanted to charge me a "pick-up fee" to come get my normal prescriptions because I couldn't make a payment yet on the $200 previous visit. When I've asked them to mail my bills they never do. Never answer the phone and never call back. I waited an hour for my last appointment and she talked about her kids and court cases the entire time (except for maybe 10 minutes to tell me she wanted me to try a different medicine). Completely unacceptable. Not worth the money ... don't waste your time ... find someone else! Oh, and her "lawyer" husband is her office manager. Rude and pushy about paying your bill at the time of service. They've never successfully set up a payment plan with me because they always try to get me to pay it at the appointment even when I tell them I can't. Never, ever going back.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2013

Dr. Knight is the best! She has always been helpful with any situation. Very knowledgeable and considerate.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2011

Dr. Karis D. Knight's Credentials

• Marshall University School Medicine (Grad. 1991)