Dr. Kris J. Alden, M.D., Ph.D.

Outstanding Staff Badge
World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Kris J. Alden, M.D., Ph.D.

Over 4 years ago of pain and the inability to walk I was told by another MD that I don't handle pain well. and I should just walk to get better. My family MD sent me to see Dr.Alden who immediately pulled a lot of fluid out and explained to me that after xrays I was bone on bone 0n my left knee. After surgery the same night I was walking. The immediate pain was gone . Recently my Rt. knee was also bone on bone and my ability to walk was going down . I made an appointment to see Dr. Alden again He was so compassionate . After surgery 3 weeks later I was enjoying myself on a cruise dancing I thank you Dr. Alden and your staff for all your compassion and kindness you have shown me .I cannot thank you enough for giving me my life back. Carol from Willowbrook

flag | Submitted April 23, 2019

Dr Alden is the best Surgeon in Illinois, he saved me from a life of horrible pain, I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2019

Dr. Alden is a miracle worker! I did not want to undergo a hip replacement, I was terrified. After talking with him, all of my fears melted away. He treated me like I was his only patient, and took the time to answer all of my questions and concerns. He told me I would walk out of the surge center the same day, I did not believe him but he was right. I was home in time for lunch, with zero hip pain. When my left hip was diagnosed two years later I only missed seven days of work! Thank you Dr. Alden! You are truly a gift from god!!

flag | Submitted September 20, 2018

Dr. Alden takes the time to listen to your concerns and questions. He successfully replaced my knee and I had a complicated case. I am so grateful that a friend recommended Dr. Alden and that Dr. Alden was able to solve my problem so effectively!

flag | Submitted July 15, 2018

Dr. Alden has wonderful bedside manner and he is always willing to take extra time to answer any /all questions. .

flag | Submitted July 10, 2018

Very caring and attentive to my questions and concerns.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2018

I highly recommend Dr. Kris Alden and his staff . I had total confidence in him with my initial meeting and now , which is almost 8 months post op for a hip replacement. I have no limitations proven by walking 4-7 miles daily at Disney . Being a retired RN ( 75 Y/O ) I am blessed with my new hip . Thank You So Much Dr. Alden ! Pat Gengler of Oswego, Il.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2017

I could not imagine looking forward to my upcoming hip surgery but that is exactly how I feel after meeting Dr. Kris Alden. I was very anxious about this prior to my appointment, but Dr. Alden put me at ease IMMEDIATELY and I intuitively knew I could let go and allow him to take care of me, not take control over me. I did not feel a patient number. I felt like I was Dr. Alden's patient. he answered all of my questions thoughtfully and generously gave me all the time I needed to feel safe and comfortable. I know that God led me to him and I am so grateful. Dr. Alden's staff was exceptional as well. Molly was the first person I saw and she was so kind, professional. I am so grateful for all of them. They are absolute angels and know how to treat nervous patients.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

Absolutely FANTASTIC!!! Dr. Kris J. Alden is kind, thorough, knowledgeable, and extremely caring! I put off my surgery as long as I could for my bilateral osteoarthritis hip pain. ONE visit to Dr. Alden, and within a month, I had 1 new hip! Why'd I put it off so..... long??? Enduring all that pain of my bilateral hip arthritis for YEARS! Injections for years with no relief, and P.T not helping. All I needed was to meet Dr. Alden.... My 2nd favorite Dr. You are One of the greatest! God Truly puts angels in our lives. Thanks from the bottom of our hearts!!!

flag | Submitted May 27, 2017

Dr. Kris Alden is not only an extremely knowledgeable and experienced doctor, he is the most compassionate and kindest doctor I’ve met! He is an outstanding surgeon and has the most amazing way of making his patients feel at ease at a time of uncertainty. He performed a total knee replacement after TWO arthroscopic surgeries, two rounds of Euflexxa gel injections and cortisone injections all failed. I was hesitant when Dr. Alden proposed the replacement as an out-patient procedure, but he assured me I was a perfect candidate - I never thought I’d be walking out of the surgical center and into my own home within hours of the procedure with minimal assistance! Three days later I was able to walk without any support at all! I’m so grateful that I was referred to Dr. Alden, as I don’t think I could have had a better surgeon! In addition, his staff is exceptional and provides top-notch communication and assistance. I urge you to visit Doctor Alden’s website to view his remarkable credentials along with impressive patient reviews. You will not find a better orthopedic surgeon for your knee or hip reconstruction!

flag | Submitted April 2, 2017

Dr. Kris J. Alden, M.D., Ph.D.'s Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Kris J. Alden is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon who is fellowship trained in hip and knee reconstruction. He completed a dual degree program in which he received his M.D. and Ph.D. concurrently at the University of Illinois at Chicago. His Ph.D. thesis in biophysics garnered the Outstanding Thesis Award for research excellence upon his graduation. After graduation, Dr. Alden completed a residency in orthopaedic surgery at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. Upon completion of his residency, Dr. Alden began his fellowship in hip and knee reconstruction surgery at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. While there, he trained in the latest approaches to hip and knee replacement, minimally invasive surgery, and complex revision joint replacement. With a particular interest in using innovative techniques, Dr. Alden strives to achieve the best results for active patients with hip and knee arthritis, offering both non-surgical and surgical treatments. Dr. Alden specializes in the direct anterior approach to total hip replacement surgery. This is a minimally invasive technique that provides less discomfort, a faster recovery, and enhanced mobility for patients undergoing hip surgery. He also performs customized knee replacements which allow the surgeon to tailor the surgery to a patient’s unique knee anatomy, reducing the risk of misalignment. These technologies improve the patient’s outcome by extending implant longevity and helping the patient regain an active lifestyle. Dr. Alden performs complex revision surgeries including direct anterior hip revision surgery, distal femur replacement, and total femur replacement. Dr. Alden strives to significantly improve the quality of life for his patients, focusing on increasing their level of activity and mobility. He dedicates much time during appointments to answering questions and explaining reasoning for recommended care. Dr. Alden and his team do the utmost to provide you with highest level of care.

• English

• University Of Illinois At Chicago Health Science Center (Grad. 2002)
  • Johns Hopkins University (Grad. 2007)
  • Mayo Clinic College of Medicine (Grad. 2008)

• Knee replacement