Ratings for Dr. Joseph P. Gjolaj

WORST experience! He is all about the money and how much business you can bring him. He doesnt really care about his patients and has no compassion for them. Maybe he is a a good doctor who knows, but he is definitely not a good person. We went because my mom has a really bad back pain, he didnt even listen to my mom's symptoms. We asked questions but didnt answer them clearly, he was very rude and had an attitude he kept saying "I just told you, you are not listening to what I am saying" We asked him to be nicer and explain more about the surgery and his answer was " this is my personality and I am not going to change" He didnt take the time to explain anything, he was rude, impolite and could careless about my mom's health. Horrible experience.

Submitted June 21, 2017

Dr. Joseph P. Gjolaj

Dr. Joseph P. Gjolaj's response
I am sorry about your negative experience and hope that you will follow though with the referral we offered you to our non-surgical specialist who can hopefully provide you the relief you need without surgery. As always, my staff and I are committed to providing you honest medical advice that is evidence-based. If we can be of further assistance, please contact us.

Submitted June 29, 2017

Excellent physician and great staff. He fixed my complicated scoliosis even after having multiple surgeries by other doctors that resulted in hardware failure. Thank you for taking my case and giving me relief of my pain!

flag | Submitted April 17, 2017

He didn't seem to have experience with Harrington Rods, he didn't seem to understand my problem that the rod and hook had broken off my spine.

Submitted February 26, 2017

Dr. Joseph P. Gjolaj

Dr. Joseph P. Gjolaj's response
Sorry to hear about your experience. My office is happy to re-evaluate your previous scoliosis surgery by another surgeon again and we will do our best to offer solutions for this very difficult problem.

Submitted March 20, 2017

From the moment of our first consult through surgery and recovery, Dr Gjolaj was there and informed me of what to expect.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2014

Dr. Gjolaj came highly recommended to me, and I am very thankful to have chosen him as my surgeon. Dr. Gjolaj did not push surgery on me, rather, he made sure that I had all of the knowledge that I needed to make an educated decision based on my symptoms and options. Whether it is in person or on the telephone, in his office, pre-op, or post-op, I never feel like Dr. Gjolaj is in a rush. He always makes me feel like I am a priority and makes sure that I have a full understanding of everything he says. His staff is also extremely courteous and helpful, which has been very comforting during my recovery. Thanks Dr. Gjolaj!

flag | Submitted May 1, 2014

Dr. Gjolaj is an excellent doctor. Out of all of the doctors that I saw, which was more than 4, he was the best. He is extremely knowledgeable and tells it how it is. He gives great advice on what to do and he is caring, unlike lots of other doctors out there. I would highly recommend him to anyone struggling with back issues. I am grateful to have him as my doctor! He does not have a magic wand to wave over whatever you are struggling with but he sure does have enough insight to believe that he does.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2013

Excellent surgeon! I highly recommend him to anyone needing neck or back surgery. Talk to him first!!!

flag | Submitted June 20, 2013

Dr. Gjolaj was very abrupt, constantly interrupted me during my visit, wouldn't listen to any of my complaints. He seemed to have the attitude that he's the doctor and I was the under educated patient and he seemed to be a know it all and if he wants to survive as a physician, he has to have compassion and learn to listen to his patient. I could tell he was a new doctor as he was very text book and obviously hasn't learned that all cases aren't "textbook" being that I'm a health care provider in the Roanoke Valley. I was very disappointed in this doctor and his service and will not return to this office ever. Every time I asked him a question, he would answer with a question. He was not helpful, very arrogant and a disgrace to the UVA health system.

Submitted May 28, 2013

Dr. Joseph P. Gjolaj's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Biography Dr Gjolaj's Practice Philosophy: With the help of my staff, I endeavor to treat each patient and their concerns with special attention and individualized care. The medical care that my staff and I provide goes well beyond the office or the operating room. We strive to treat each patient and their diagnosis with the best and most contemporary treatment options, whether it be surgical, non-surgical, minimally-invasive or conventional procedures. While my speciality is spine surgery, my staff and I also work closely with other health care providers who specialize in non-surgical treatment options to ensure each patient gets the treatment that's right for them, even if surgery is not the best option.

• English

• George Washington University School Of Medicine (Grad. 2006)
  • Johns Hopkins University (Grad. 2000)

• Scoliosis