Ratings for Dr. Mary Tharayil

Dr. Tharayil is a good listener. She is extremely caring and does excellent diagnosis. She does periodic follow up. I would highly recommend her.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2015

I went to Dr. Tharayil with symptoms of Hashimoto's. I'm a 27 yr old female with a heavy family history of not only Hashimotos, but also autoimmune disorders. My TSH results would fluctuate from abnormal to normal suggesting Hypothyroidism and I had every symptom listed fromsuch as my hair loss, 20 lbs + weight gain in a month with no change in diet or exercise and a 1200 calorie meal plan prescribed by a nutritionist, edema, low body temp and low blood pressure, fatigue, irregular/ heavy cycle, constipation, puffy face and neck. Not only did Dr. Tharayil ignore my persistent pleas that something was wrong and treated me like a hypochondriac when I would insist on testing them, but at one point said to me sternly " I am no longer going to entertain this. We will not continue to test you for Hypothyroidism". I was so frustrated and suffering with my symptoms for a year at this point that I contacted an endocrinologist myself and after my first ultrasound and blood work the Endocrinologist found my Thyroid almost completely eaten away by my immune system and my TSH levels at 6.0. I was then diagnosed with Hashimotos. If you want a doctor who will work with you as a team and not only listen, but respect your decisions and knowledge of your own body Dr.Tharayil is not that doctor. I would also like to mention I completly relate to the experience the previous reviewer had on Dec. 1st 2012. I feel like you wrote exactly the way I felt and wish I was able to articulate it myself. This is also the first review I have ever written, but am so upset I felt that it was necessary.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2014

She is completely degrading and incompetent. She does NOT listen to concerns before making inaccurate diagnoses. She once told me that we could not address all of my concerns because we only had "20 minutes." She then proceeded to shake her head at my largest concern, which turned out to be a serious condition, worsening by the day. If she had taken the time to listen to my symptoms and concerns, I would not have been as angry about her misdiagnosis. I am not one to post reviews, but feel it is my responsibilty to share this in all hopes that the same does not happen to others.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2012

Very nice, very thorough, very calm and gentle. Responds to all queries or e-mails very quickly. Does not let anything fall between the cracks. Well educated.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2011

Dr. Mary Tharayil's Credentials

• Harvard Medical School (Grad. 2003)