Dr. Robert Kalimi

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Robert Kalimi

Originally I was scheduled for a TAVR implant(probably because I was 82).But after an examination by DR Robert Kalimi,He thought I was a good candidate for open heart Aortic valve surgery.After going to this website & meeting Dr Robert Kalmini,I knew he was the Doctor I wanted to do this procedure.Not only was I extremely satisfied with Dr Kalimi with the operation, but with his staff and nurses at Southside Hospital.I had the procedure done on Feb.27,2018 and 3 weeks have gone by and i'm well on the road to recovery.I think I was very fortunate to have had DR Robert Kalimi as my surgeon .I would recommend him to anyone who needs this procedure.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2018

I write this not only as an evaluation of Dr Kalimi but as a patient's guide to those facing a similar health concern – which is an advanced but asymptomatic aortic stenosis condition which must be corrected asap with valve replacement. When you are given this diagnosis by a top-notch cardiologist you trust who recommends his choice of cardiothoracic surgeon to perform your aortic valve replacement, you usually don't shop around. But, having a Harvard trained cardiologist brother-in-law as I do, you automatically get a second opinion. And the verdict: “You have no option and Kalimi is one of the best – so go for it and do what he says!” Having done some online research, I learned about the TAVR implant and thought, hey, this would be a walk in the park. But after discussing my options with Kalimi, he recommended that I forego the “easy out” TAVR implant and opt for the “gold standard” of open heart valve replacement. He does both procedures but feels that if the patient is in good health and can tolerate the surgery (which apparently I am) outcomes are better with less risk of near or long term complications with the added advantage that the replacement valve would be organic (bovine tissue) and not mechanical so rejection would not be an issue and a long term blood thinner regimen would be avoided. He also reassured me that his version of “open heart” would be minimally invasive. On the latter point, I am in no position to judge what qualifies as “minimally invasive” but based on the feedback I got from my cardiologist brother-in-law who has attended many post-op open heart surgical patients, my quick and virtually pain-free recovery was “astonishing”. Anecdotally, I jokingly asked Dr. Kalimi if he would save my wornout valve in a jar of alcohol as a souvenir to display on my mantel. He laughed and, while declining my request, said he would go me one better – producing a very high quality color before-and-after photograph of the interior of my open heart with the gnarly old valve and the new bovine valve neatly stitched in. I passed the photo along to my brother-in-law who in turn showed it to some colleagues who universally pronounced it “beautiful work”. Now in my fourth post-op month with 12 weeks of cardio rehab under my belt, I feel physically rejuvenated and grateful to have lucked into the hands of such a skilled and careful (and caring) medical practitioner. And while I'm at it, I have only high praise for the skill, attentiveness and care shown to me and my family by the entire staff at Southside Hospital.

flag | Submitted March 18, 2018

Dr. Kalimi was recommended to me by my cardiologist who only knew of his reputation as an excellent cardio thoracic surgeon. My experience with Dr. Kalimi, through having an open heart surgery performed by him, has been a positive one. I found Dr. Kalimi to be knowledgeable, yet easy to talk to. He answered all my questions and handled all my concerns. My wife and I quickly learned that we had made the best decision in having Dr. Kalimi perform my open heart surgery. Richard and Carol Boyd Surgery on February 15th, 2018

flag | Submitted February 24, 2018

Dr. Kalimi came highly recommended from my cardiologist. I had a bad aortic valve. I wanted the minimally invasive procedure to replace the valve. Because the only cardiac problem I had was a bad valve, Dr. Kalimi replaced the valve using less invasive technique and procedures. What a great job! Twelve weeks have passed since my surgery. I feel great. Dr. Kalimi is very gifted and has exceptional standards. He answered all of my questions before the surgery and during the postsurgical care. His staff was also dynamite – thank you Andrew, Michael, Mike and Lena. I highly recommend Dr. Kalimi to everyone. I had some skepticisms about Southside Hospital that proved to be totally unfounded. The CTICU physician assistants, nurses, technicians and support staff were all very professional, kind and considerate as were the nurses and staff on the 4th floor cardiac unit.

Submitted November 20, 2017

My wife is a registered nurse who also works in Northwell system. Without any felt syndrome, she was diagnosed as having major problems with her heart by our cardiologist. After some extensive research, we decided to ask Dr. Kalimi to help at Southside hospital. Unlike where we work, Southside hospital does not have fancy buildings. Still, we believed Dr. Kalimi is the best choice for us. Dr. Kalimi did the mitral valve repair for my wife in a little over 3 hours. It was a hard one based on my wife's condition. I thought it would take much longer. He gave me a copy of the before/after photos which all our friends and colleagues in health care system praised about the high quality of surgery. It is simply textbook like performance! Not only Dr. Kalimi is a top quality surgeon, he is also very kind to patients. He made my wife's recovery much easier. We highly recommend Dr. Kalimi to everybody. As for Southside hospital, it is a very pleasant surprise. My wife had stayed in CTICU for 8 days. The teamwork there was really impressive, among the best we have ever seen. Whenever we needed anything, there was always somebody providing instant help. Also, they kept cleaning the whole place all the time. Other departments are also very impressive. Southside hospital is by far beyond our expectation. We really appreciate Dr. Kalimi, our cardiologist Dr. Deutsch, our anesthesiologist Dr. Shih, our old friend Patricia Farrell, and so many other Southside hospital folks. You saved my wife's life! Thank you!

Submitted November 14, 2017

Outstanding surgeon did butterfly heart valve repair on my dad and what a success, as a Doctor great bedside manner , professional , a down to earth ,and explained so we would understand . The staff in office was amazing from the check in to nurses and surgical booker Lina so helpful. Also the hospital from icu to step down unit wonderful hard working professionals northwell south side hospital in bay shore clean and over all excellent experience .

Submitted June 7, 2017

My husband had a mitral valve repair, ablation and removal of an appendage by Dr. Kalimi three weeks ago. From the minute we met him we were impressed. He and his staff were so professional, caring and informative. The whole experience was amazing. He never hesitated to answer any questions. Thank you to you and all your staff. Absolutely no regrets - before you get anything done please go and talk to Dr. Kalimi. He specializes in valve repair so when a doctor tells you to have a replacement - see him first! The staff at Southside was impeccable every step of the way, as well. An excellent recommendation by Dr. Kamath.

Submitted June 6, 2017

My husband had a mitral valve repair by Dr. Kalimi 2 weeks ago at Southside Hospital. We were overwhelmed by the whole idea of surgery and 'who to pick' . Our cardiologist recommended Dr. Kalimi, so we made an appointment to see him. We also made an appointment at NYU and St. Francis. Dr. Kalimi was our first appointment and our only!!!! We were so pleased and reassured on our initial visit that we cancelled all the other appointments! He explained and answered all our questions without hesitation and in detail! His expertise and commitment to his profession are impeccable. He is and his staff went above and beyond to make this whole experience less overwhelming and frightening. We never gave our decision a second thought and have absolutely no regrets. Thank you Dr. Kalimi and staff😊

Submitted May 26, 2017

I was operated on by Dr. Kalimi on Nov. 22, 2003. I had an emergency quadruple Bypass. He was a capable young doctor and I have had many years to be thankful to him and the amazing staff at North Shore Hospital.

Submitted May 20, 2017

Dr. Kalimi is excellent. Had mitral valve repair at Southside hospital and it was very successful. It was a minimally invasive procedure and I went home the next day. There were no complications and I feel so much better. He saved my life. He's extremely capable, talented, professional, knowledgeable, courteous, and caring. He was very patient and answered all my questions. I would recommend him to anyone who is looking for a cardiologist/cardiac surgeon.

Submitted April 21, 2017