Dr. Robert Kalimi

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Robert Kalimi

My Cardiologist has been following my severely leaking mitral valve for a number of years and it was finally time to do something about it. I made an appointment with Dr Kalimi and was very impressed. I had read about a less invasive treatment for a mitral valve clip and was hoping to be a candidate. Dr Kalimi explained that the repair/replacement of the mitral valve, although more invasive, was the way to go for my condition. Of course I had only heard the horror stories of open heart surgery and was nervous. Dr Kalimi put me right at ease explaining the procedure so that I understood what was to be done and felt comfortable with the plan that Dr Kalimi had discussed. I had surgery on 10/29/2018 and Dr Kalimi was able to repair my mitral valve instead of replacing it. The staff at Southside were very attentive and caring and helped my recovery start out as a smooth one. After 3 weeks I was back to driving and working on building up my strength. I am a patient who also has MS and struggles with fatigue and weakness on a daily basis, so working on my strength is an every day job for me. Thank you Dr Kalimi and your staff, as well as all the nurses and staff in Southside Hospital for being so professional and wonderful at the same time! I would highly recommend Dr Kalimi to anyone one needs a Cardiothorasic Surgeon, his “down to earth” personality as well as his personality is a very calming factor in needing surgery. Nancy Locke

flag | Submitted November 28, 2018

I was recently diagnosed with a severely leaking mitral valve and began my search for a surgeon that could repair it rather than replace if possible. My search brought me to this and other forums on the internet and I was overwhelmed by the positive reactions to Dr. Kalimi and Southside Hospital. I can see now why this is so true. Dr. Kalimi did a wonderful job repairing my valve just like he said he would and his staff and the nurses at Southside were fantastic. I knew from my first visit with Dr. Kalimi that this was the man for the job. His easy going manner ,experience and quiet confidence put my mind at ease in an otherwise terrifying situation for me. It has now been three weeks since my surgery and I feel great. If you are looking for the best surgeon around for you or a loved one stop looking ,you have found the best. I could not recommend any doctor higher than Dr. Robert Kalimi and Southside Hospital. Thank you again, Doug Huber

flag | Submitted November 20, 2018

On 7/30/2018 I had to have an aortic aneurysm repaired. This would normally involve a valve replacement. As a hard working 52yr old, a valve replacement that would need to be serviced every 15 yrs., was not something I was looking forward to. As it came time for the surgery, Dr. Kalimi discussed the possibility of a “David” procedure wherein my existing valve, being in good shape, could be spared and suspended within the new graft. Well, the procedure went without a hitch and now 4 weeks out of surgery I feel like a million bucks, still have healing to do, but I couldn’t be more thankful to Dr. Kalimi and the surgical team as well as the staff in CTICD, and the staff on the 4th floor tower. They took good care of me every step of the way. I am looking forward to whatever challenges life has for me, thanks to all of you!

flag | Submitted August 25, 2018

Dr Kalimi is wonderful . He did a triple bypass on my husband and everything went perfectly. He is so professional and kind. He spent plenty of time to explain what he was going to do and what our options were. His confidence made us go into this with ease. His staff at Southside Hospital (Paige and nurse, Michael) are terrific. The anesthesiologist. “ Cooperman” at Southside was very experienced and knowledgeable and again took the time to explain everything to us. His easy-going manner made us very comfortable. We were originally lucky enough to meet Dr Kalimi after an angiogram . He highly recommended his Southside Hospital in Bayshore. His whole team is there and Northwell has invested millions of dollars to bring this to become an excellent quality cardiac hospital with a fantastic new operating suite. (They have a very efficient valet service at the hospital to make it easy to come and go and visit) Everything is being remodeled. It is going to be beautiful. Dr Kalimi’s team was terrific as well as the ICU staff (Liz and Karen are caring, compassionate, friendly and very professional). I wish I could remember everyone’s name but thank you ALL, you could not have been better! The surgery went exactly as it should have. It’s a tough surgery and a rough recovery but Dr. Kalimi made it as good as it could possibly be. It takes a while to get your strength back. On our follow up visit Dr Kalimi told my husband that he did not fix him just to keep him alive. He fixed him to have a longer and better quality of life and that he’ll be stronger and have more energy than he’s had in quite a while and we are seeing it already! Thank you Dr. Kalimi I would highly recommend you to anyone I could. You were wonderful !

flag | Submitted August 14, 2018

Originally I was scheduled for a TAVR implant(probably because I was 82).But after an examination by DR Robert Kalimi,He thought I was a good candidate for open heart Aortic valve surgery.After going to this website & meeting Dr Robert Kalmini,I knew he was the Doctor I wanted to do this procedure.Not only was I extremely satisfied with Dr Kalimi with the operation, but with his staff and nurses at Southside Hospital.I had the procedure done on Feb.27,2018 and 3 weeks have gone by and i'm well on the road to recovery.I think I was very fortunate to have had DR Robert Kalimi as my surgeon .I would recommend him to anyone who needs this procedure.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2018

I write this not only as an evaluation of Dr Kalimi but as a patient's guide to those facing a similar health concern – which is an advanced but asymptomatic aortic stenosis condition which must be corrected asap with valve replacement. When you are given this diagnosis by a top-notch cardiologist you trust who recommends his choice of cardiothoracic surgeon to perform your aortic valve replacement, you usually don't shop around. But, having a Harvard trained cardiologist brother-in-law as I do, you automatically get a second opinion. And the verdict: “You have no option and Kalimi is one of the best – so go for it and do what he says!” Having done some online research, I learned about the TAVR implant and thought, hey, this would be a walk in the park. But after discussing my options with Kalimi, he recommended that I forego the “easy out” TAVR implant and opt for the “gold standard” of open heart valve replacement. He does both procedures but feels that if the patient is in good health and can tolerate the surgery (which apparently I am) outcomes are better with less risk of near or long term complications with the added advantage that the replacement valve would be organic (bovine tissue) and not mechanical so rejection would not be an issue and a long term blood thinner regimen would be avoided. He also reassured me that his version of “open heart” would be minimally invasive. On the latter point, I am in no position to judge what qualifies as “minimally invasive” but based on the feedback I got from my cardiologist brother-in-law who has attended many post-op open heart surgical patients, my quick and virtually pain-free recovery was “astonishing”. Anecdotally, I jokingly asked Dr. Kalimi if he would save my wornout valve in a jar of alcohol as a souvenir to display on my mantel. He laughed and, while declining my request, said he would go me one better – producing a very high quality color before-and-after photograph of the interior of my open heart with the gnarly old valve and the new bovine valve neatly stitched in. I passed the photo along to my brother-in-law who in turn showed it to some colleagues who universally pronounced it “beautiful work”. Now in my fourth post-op month with 12 weeks of cardio rehab under my belt, I feel physically rejuvenated and grateful to have lucked into the hands of such a skilled and careful (and caring) medical practitioner. And while I'm at it, I have only high praise for the skill, attentiveness and care shown to me and my family by the entire staff at Southside Hospital.

flag | Submitted March 18, 2018

Dr. Kalimi was recommended to me by my cardiologist who only knew of his reputation as an excellent cardio thoracic surgeon. My experience with Dr. Kalimi, through having an open heart surgery performed by him, has been a positive one. I found Dr. Kalimi to be knowledgeable, yet easy to talk to. He answered all my questions and handled all my concerns. My wife and I quickly learned that we had made the best decision in having Dr. Kalimi perform my open heart surgery. Richard and Carol Boyd Surgery on February 15th, 2018

flag | Submitted February 24, 2018

Dr. Kalimi came highly recommended from my cardiologist. I had a bad aortic valve. I wanted the minimally invasive procedure to replace the valve. Because the only cardiac problem I had was a bad valve, Dr. Kalimi replaced the valve using less invasive technique and procedures. What a great job! Twelve weeks have passed since my surgery. I feel great. Dr. Kalimi is very gifted and has exceptional standards. He answered all of my questions before the surgery and during the postsurgical care. His staff was also dynamite – thank you Andrew, Michael, Mike and Lena. I highly recommend Dr. Kalimi to everyone. I had some skepticisms about Southside Hospital that proved to be totally unfounded. The CTICU physician assistants, nurses, technicians and support staff were all very professional, kind and considerate as were the nurses and staff on the 4th floor cardiac unit.

Submitted November 20, 2017

My wife is a registered nurse who also works in Northwell system. Without any felt syndrome, she was diagnosed as having major problems with her heart by our cardiologist. After some extensive research, we decided to ask Dr. Kalimi to help at Southside hospital. Unlike where we work, Southside hospital does not have fancy buildings. Still, we believed Dr. Kalimi is the best choice for us. Dr. Kalimi did the mitral valve repair for my wife in a little over 3 hours. It was a hard one based on my wife's condition. I thought it would take much longer. He gave me a copy of the before/after photos which all our friends and colleagues in health care system praised about the high quality of surgery. It is simply textbook like performance! Not only Dr. Kalimi is a top quality surgeon, he is also very kind to patients. He made my wife's recovery much easier. We highly recommend Dr. Kalimi to everybody. As for Southside hospital, it is a very pleasant surprise. My wife had stayed in CTICU for 8 days. The teamwork there was really impressive, among the best we have ever seen. Whenever we needed anything, there was always somebody providing instant help. Also, they kept cleaning the whole place all the time. Other departments are also very impressive. Southside hospital is by far beyond our expectation. We really appreciate Dr. Kalimi, our cardiologist Dr. Deutsch, our anesthesiologist Dr. Shih, our old friend Patricia Farrell, and so many other Southside hospital folks. You saved my wife's life! Thank you!

Submitted November 14, 2017

Outstanding surgeon did butterfly heart valve repair on my dad and what a success, as a Doctor great bedside manner , professional , a down to earth ,and explained so we would understand . The staff in office was amazing from the check in to nurses and surgical booker Lina so helpful. Also the hospital from icu to step down unit wonderful hard working professionals northwell south side hospital in bay shore clean and over all excellent experience .

Submitted June 7, 2017