Dr. Robert Kalimi

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Robert Kalimi

I am a 55 yr old active healthy man. I was told by my cardiologist that I had two bad valves in my heart, one needing repair and one probably needing to be replaced. He recommended Dr. Robert Kalimi to do the surgery. He said he was an excellent surgeon. Me, not knowing one surgeon from another said "ok". I met with Dr. Kalimi a few weeks later and was a bit nervous but by the time I left that meeting, felt very comfortable. Dr Kalimi explained what was going to happen and answered any questions we had for him very professionally and understandable for someone who didn't understand much medical terminology. After Kalimi's staff did their own tests, Dr. Kalimi's assessment was to probably only have to repair one valve. When Dr. Kalimi opened me up, he determined just that. No replacement needed and only one repair, which he did perfectly. It has been three weeks since my surgery and I feel great and am on my way to a speedy recovery thanks to the precision work of Dr. Robert Kalimi. I HIGHLY recommend him and his staff at Southside Hospital to anyone needing a heart procedure. Glenn Meyer

flag | Submitted November 13, 2019

I had a stress echo that took a wrong turn and found myself at 55 yrs old facing open heart surgery. I do meet with a few Drs about my mitral valve in which the diagnosis was a Bileaflet mitral valve prolapse that had gone from medium to severe leakage. Dr. Kalimi was the only surgeon that gave me a 95% chance of repairing the valve instead of replacing it with a pig valve that may have lasted 10-15 years. The other Drs basically told me it was very damaged and would need replacement. I chose Dr. Kalimi for his directness and honesty to wanting to repair the valve. He said”Your to young to have a pig valve and I want you here for the first and probably only operation that day. I want to repair it if I can so you can move on with life”. I can’t thank him enough for the job he did and my new lease on life. Awesome Doctor.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2019

Dr Robert Kalimi did surgery to replace my heart valve and I Thank God for him. He is an outstanding surgeon , kind and caring to me and my family and so professional . Dr Robert Kalimi is one of the best and I Recommend him to my family and friends just a wonderful person.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2019

Dr. Robert Kalimi on 3/22/19 performed on TAVR procedure on my 92 year old mother. He gave us more time with her. He treated my mom and her family with respect, kindness and professionalism that was unbelievable. He is a gifted surgeon with a humble heart. I would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2019

Dr. Robert Kalimi performed a quad-bypass on me back in December of 2010. I owe him my life! He is the reason that I am able to write this review. He is, in my humble opinion, The BEST cardio-thoracic surgeon anywhere!

flag | Submitted March 7, 2019

Dr. Kalimi is a wonderful surgeon and man. He performed open heart surgery on my 80 year old mother and the results were excellent. Besides his professional ability, he is an extremely kind man. Of all the doctors and related caretakers, he was the only one who did not make me stutter trying to get the questions out quickly. He sat, listened, and answered every question.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2019

My Cardiologist has been following my severely leaking mitral valve for a number of years and it was finally time to do something about it. I made an appointment with Dr Kalimi and was very impressed. I had read about a less invasive treatment for a mitral valve clip and was hoping to be a candidate. Dr Kalimi explained that the repair/replacement of the mitral valve, although more invasive, was the way to go for my condition. Of course I had only heard the horror stories of open heart surgery and was nervous. Dr Kalimi put me right at ease explaining the procedure so that I understood what was to be done and felt comfortable with the plan that Dr Kalimi had discussed. I had surgery on 10/29/2018 and Dr Kalimi was able to repair my mitral valve instead of replacing it. The staff at Southside were very attentive and caring and helped my recovery start out as a smooth one. After 3 weeks I was back to driving and working on building up my strength. I am a patient who also has MS and struggles with fatigue and weakness on a daily basis, so working on my strength is an every day job for me. Thank you Dr Kalimi and your staff, as well as all the nurses and staff in Southside Hospital for being so professional and wonderful at the same time! I would highly recommend Dr Kalimi to anyone one needs a Cardiothorasic Surgeon, his “down to earth” personality as well as his personality is a very calming factor in needing surgery. Nancy Locke

flag | Submitted November 28, 2018

I was recently diagnosed with a severely leaking mitral valve and began my search for a surgeon that could repair it rather than replace if possible. My search brought me to this and other forums on the internet and I was overwhelmed by the positive reactions to Dr. Kalimi and Southside Hospital. I can see now why this is so true. Dr. Kalimi did a wonderful job repairing my valve just like he said he would and his staff and the nurses at Southside were fantastic. I knew from my first visit with Dr. Kalimi that this was the man for the job. His easy going manner ,experience and quiet confidence put my mind at ease in an otherwise terrifying situation for me. It has now been three weeks since my surgery and I feel great. If you are looking for the best surgeon around for you or a loved one stop looking ,you have found the best. I could not recommend any doctor higher than Dr. Robert Kalimi and Southside Hospital. Thank you again, Doug Huber

flag | Submitted November 20, 2018

On 7/30/2018 I had to have an aortic aneurysm repaired. This would normally involve a valve replacement. As a hard working 52yr old, a valve replacement that would need to be serviced every 15 yrs., was not something I was looking forward to. As it came time for the surgery, Dr. Kalimi discussed the possibility of a “David” procedure wherein my existing valve, being in good shape, could be spared and suspended within the new graft. Well, the procedure went without a hitch and now 4 weeks out of surgery I feel like a million bucks, still have healing to do, but I couldn’t be more thankful to Dr. Kalimi and the surgical team as well as the staff in CTICD, and the staff on the 4th floor tower. They took good care of me every step of the way. I am looking forward to whatever challenges life has for me, thanks to all of you!

flag | Submitted August 25, 2018

Dr Kalimi is wonderful . He did a triple bypass on my husband and everything went perfectly. He is so professional and kind. He spent plenty of time to explain what he was going to do and what our options were. His confidence made us go into this with ease. His staff at Southside Hospital (Paige and nurse, Michael) are terrific. The anesthesiologist. “ Cooperman” at Southside was very experienced and knowledgeable and again took the time to explain everything to us. His easy-going manner made us very comfortable. We were originally lucky enough to meet Dr Kalimi after an angiogram . He highly recommended his Southside Hospital in Bayshore. His whole team is there and Northwell has invested millions of dollars to bring this to become an excellent quality cardiac hospital with a fantastic new operating suite. (They have a very efficient valet service at the hospital to make it easy to come and go and visit) Everything is being remodeled. It is going to be beautiful. Dr Kalimi’s team was terrific as well as the ICU staff (Liz and Karen are caring, compassionate, friendly and very professional). I wish I could remember everyone’s name but thank you ALL, you could not have been better! The surgery went exactly as it should have. It’s a tough surgery and a rough recovery but Dr. Kalimi made it as good as it could possibly be. It takes a while to get your strength back. On our follow up visit Dr Kalimi told my husband that he did not fix him just to keep him alive. He fixed him to have a longer and better quality of life and that he’ll be stronger and have more energy than he’s had in quite a while and we are seeing it already! Thank you Dr. Kalimi I would highly recommend you to anyone I could. You were wonderful !

flag | Submitted August 14, 2018