Ratings for Dr. K Donald Shelbourne

Shelbourne knee Center is as good as it gets for knee replacement Excellent care! And most of all no more Pain!Thanks Loads!!

flag | Submitted October 11, 2017

I made an appointment at Methodist Sports Medicine in Indianapolis back in the year 2000. After 2 of the doctors there gave me conflicting, hesitant diagnosis, I was advised to schedule an appointment with the "best" doctor at the facility: Dr K Shelbourne. I told Dr Shelbourne of my history of knee problems related to my involvement in amateur MMA. Dr Shelbourne told me the MRI results were inconclusive, and that he did not believe anything was wrong with either of my knees. I told him I believed I had damage in both knees, and I told him about the instability I had been experiencing in both knees since my initial injuries. Undaunted by my colloquial description of the symptoms of ligament tears, he stood by his diagnosis. Dr Shelbourne even raised up the leg of his pants to show me one of his knees. He manipulated his knee joint to show me how unstable it was. Dr Shelbourne told me "I tore my ACL and look how much more unstable my knee is than either of yours." Dr Shelbourne went on to tell me he had no plans to ever surgically correct his own knee injury. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN A RED FLAG. I insisted there was damage to both my knees and again asked if Dr Shelbourne would help me. He asked which knee was "giving me the most trouble". I told him (right knee) and he said, "I guess I could scope it." The office staff at Methodist Sports Med tried to get me to pay for the surgery in advance even though I had excellent insurance. I refused. They again tried to solicit payment in advance, this time attempting to secure a deposit. I refused once again. SECOND RED FLAG. Immediately prior to surgery Dr Shelbourne came to me in the pre-op area and asked if I "wanted to go through with this." He was rude and condescending. THIRD RED FLAG. I told him to proceed. He actually smirked and rolled his eyes. After waking up from exploratory arthroscopic surgery, I was told "I took out a bit of cartilage which was what was causing you that bit of pain you were feeling." I was discharged with no pain prescription, and no post operative care instructions. I was called by the office staff in about a week to schedule my ONE physical therapy appointment. After completing my only PT appointment, I was told "I was fine and everything was fixed." Everything was not fixed. Both my knees were painful and very unstable. Running out of ideas and options, I sought out Dr Frank Noyes who was then practicing out of Cincinnati Sports Med. Dr Noyes merely needed to manipulate each of my knees to give his diagnosis: an ACL tear in each knee. Dr Noyes did in 30 seconds what 3 other doctors could not. Dr Noyes advised repairing my right knee first as it had been previously been operated on (by Dr Shelbourne). After surgery Dr Noyes said the ACL in my right knee had suffered a complete tear and that my body had reabsorbed the torn loose ligament tissue. My ACL in my right knee was totally gone; bear in mind Dr Shelbourne was INSIDE MY KNEE WITH A SCOPE (which he used to record video footage of the surgery) AND COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WRONG OTHER THAN SOME TORN CARTILAGE. Dr Noyes performed successful ACL reconstruction on both my knees. I am not the litigious type, so I went on with my life thankful that I had functional knees once again. Dr Shelbourne is a rude, arrogant, condescending, INCOMPETENT excuse for a medical doctor. I sincerely hope people read this true and factual account of my experience with Dr Shelbourne and avoid his medical practice at any cost.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2017

I tore my ACL skiing. After the local hospital had me do a $3K MRI, and the next closest orthopedic group wanted to do a surgery two days after my visit, I was referred to Dr. Shelbourne. He does not require an MRI for an ACL tear, had me do PT on my own for 2 months prior to surgery, and now 2 weeks after surgery, I have been on my feet for a week, PT is going great, I walked over a mile today, and all is going great. I am so happy I got referred to him by a family friend who is a doctor as well. His methods are perfected by his over 7000 ACL surgeries, and I have heard of no ACL experience any where close to mine in terms of how easy it has been. I have spent 7 days down and never had crutches or splint since my accident. I also had a significant miniscus tear that complicated things for me pain wise, yet was just part of what he was used to doing during such an accident. A++++

flag | Submitted April 20, 2017

My 14 yr old swimmer recently tore his ACL. After several bad experiences with 3 seperate local Dr's (2 wrong diagnosis from urgent care and family dr., and 1 surgeon that "had done a few ACL repairs"), I found Dr. Shelbourne online. From the first time I called his office with questions, his staff has been amazing. Dr Shelbourne has done over 6,000 ACL surgeries. This guy is truly a knee EXPERT. We live 4hrs away, and while it has not been convenient, there's no doubt in my mind we made the best choice for our son. Four weeks after surgery he's back in the water and on a bike (along with therapy). I 100% recommend Dr Shelbourne, and hope that he's still in practice if my family ever needs further knee help!!!

flag | Submitted February 3, 2014

Dr Shelbourne is my hero! He fixed my arthrofibrotic knee 9 years ago when NO OTHER knee surgeon could. Had 4 surgeries prior to him, and after less than 1 week I was released. Still do PT on my own but I run, cycle and do any kind of sports I like! Don't waste your time with other docs, I recommend him wholeheartedly. Bonus: they research and do lifetime follow ups for those with AF!

flag | Submitted June 22, 2011

I am a 63 year old female and was seeing a rheumatologist for my left knee. He recomended an MRI, injections, and surgery. Shelbourne Clinic advised me against it. Using a stationary bike, recommended, I stopped my pain pills, regained motion, and saw the long-term solution to a short-term looking rheumatologist. Thank goodness.

flag | Submitted November 11, 2010

I thought my soccer playing was over. I couldn't run anymore. Then I met Dr. Shelbourne. He saved my knee and my soccer life. I am forever grateful. I reccommend him for any knee related surgery.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2010

Dr. Shelbourne did an ACL repair on me 20 years ago. My knee is great. He is an awesome surgeon. I have been to see him several times since my surgery and his staff has been great. He is the expert in sports related injuries.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2010

I've traveled to see Dr. Shelbourne three times after a local orthopedic surgeon recommended surgery for a knee condition. All three times Dr. Shelbourned looked at the x-rays/MRIs, explained what was going on, and recommended against surgery. When necessary he'd give me exercises/stretches to do. All three times my knee has recovered just fine on its own with no surgery. He is a fantastic doctor. He, or his associates, are the only doctors I would ever let operate on my knee if it was necessary.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2009

Dr. Shelbourne is a world class physician. He really taught me a lot about my knee. He and his staff helped me make a valuable improvement. He has a great approach to treating patients-- very honest and down to earth. I wish more doctors were like him.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

Dr. K Donald Shelbourne's Credentials

• Indiana University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1976)