Ratings for Dr. Bruce L. Fariss

Run from this doctor! First off, i waited 2.5 hours in the lobby, then waited for another 45 minutes in the examination room. I was there for my thyroid, not a full physical. I have never had to go through this with any other endocrinologist, ever. I felt on display as he sat in front of me and overly examined my breasts. His questions were inappropriate and went beyond conventional practice. He was not helpful and wanted me to purchase otc meds that were expensive and not covered by my insurance. After the visit, he refused to send me the test results and my pcp had to wait months after several requests to get copies. I absolutely will never go back to him.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2017

The wait times are beyond ridiculous! Also feel the Dr violated me as a patient. A breast exam is not part of his job and feel it should not have happened. I even asked the nurse/ receptionist why I needed to remove my clothes and put on a gown. On the second visit he wanted to increase my dosage strength totally disregarding the fact I had to go the ER for symptoms of an overdose on the dosage I was already prescribed. He went from wanting to increase to lowering it as a suggestion. I will never return to his office.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2017

I have not had any problems with the nurses or staff and do not wish for the review to reflect them. The two star rating of the staff is in regards to the doctor. All of my problems stem from the office in general and Dr. Fariss. As other reviews have mentioned, the wait time is absolutely ridiculous. It is not abnormal to wait 2+ hours past the appointment time, especially if you have an afternoon appointment. I have also found Dr. Fariss to be rude and do not trust the medical opinions he has given me. To address the rudeness factor: in getting to know me as a patient, I shared what I do for a living and the doctor proceeded to have an, "I don't know why anyone would want to do that" fueled conversation. I'm not sure the best way to get a patient to trust you is to immediately talk down about their profession. In another instance, I was playing a game on my phone while waiting for him to see me (what else can be expected when I'm going on 2.5 hours past my scheduled appointment time?) and he made a comment about how I was playing with "the devil's toys." No, it's just a cell phone. There are more stories, but I believe this comment can be summed up as: shares his opinions no matter how unwelcome and unnecessary they are. On to the medical opinion aspect. I am a post-ablation hypothyroid patient. I had my records faxed to Dr. Fariss and bloodwork done prior to my first appointment. He noted that my levels were high and was telling me about how I would need to go through the ablation procedure again. After my kind-of-questioning of his opinion (I should be able to trust my doctor...), he noticed that I was taking medicine (written in my file, confirmed by the nurse at the start of the appointment) and that rather than have the ablation procedure done again, all we needed to do was lower my dose. His oversight nearly had me going through an expensive and rather painful procedure when the real solution was a lowered dose. At another appointment, he came in to the office and started telling me about what my bloodwork said and how we should proceed. I had to remind him that the bloodwork he is referencing is old (we changed my medicine dose since then) and that the appointment I was there for currently was to get bloodwork done. Again, had I not stepped in, he would have lowered my dose again having no bloodwork that reflects my current levels. So I got the bloodwork done then went back inside. I was then told that I should come back in 6 months for my next appointment. I was a little shocked that I would not be getting a closer follow up appointment when my results came in (to discuss whether this dose was correct, change it again, etc) but accepted because I figured I would get a phone call about my bloodwork and would make an appointment then if needed. I never got a call. Two weeks later, I had to call the office and was told my bloodwork looked "fine." However, after all of the oversights that have been made in the appointments I have had previously, I find I cannot trust the opinions that have been given.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2016

I am transgender and chose to see Dr. Fariss for HRT because he was the first doctor I found and the only doctor I knew about at the time that took my insurance and offered HRT. However, after the first visit, I quickly decided I'd never be seeing him again. His office staff were courteous and friendly. I asked on the phone to be called by my preferred name, and they had no issue doing so. However, Dr. Fariss himself was rude, unprofessional, ignorant and invaded my privacy and crossed my boundaries without any regard. I was told he had treated trans patients before, but I find that hard to believe as he has no clue how to treat a trans patient with respect. As I was seeing him for HRT and he is an endocrinologist, he should have only been concerned with my physical health and the results of my blood tests, but he played psychiatrist with me by trying to "understand" my reasons for physically transitioning, as if that was necessary for my physical treatment. In doing so, he demonstrated his complete lack of understanding of the concept of gender and his lack of knowledge about transgender people and the issues that we face. I knew very quickly that I would never return to see him again. The first question he asked me was, "If you were in a room with only males and females and you had to have sex with one of them, who would you choose?" This is a disgusting question as it implies that I'm only transitioning so that I can have sex with people in different ways. It also relates sexuality to gender, and if Dr. Fariss knew even the basics of gender, he'd know it is in no way related to sexuality. He asked me this despite me telling him and his intern 4 times that I am not and have never been sexually active, and when I answered his question, he said he, "didn't understand" why I "wanted to be a man" if I had "never been with a man as a woman." I very seriously doubt he has the nerve to speak to his cisgender patients this way. He was very condescending the entire time as if he thought I was mentally ill, and he invaded my privacy at every opportunity. Then, he proceeded to start explaining surgical procedures to me despite that he is NOT a surgeon and that was NOT what I was seeing him for, and he made me extremely uncomfortable by going into detail about these things without ever asking me if I needed the information or if I even wanted to hear those things from him. All of this was incredibly unnecessary, of course, because he told me I would need a psychological evaluation before he would treat me anyway. I was also never asked for my consent for the intern being present during my appointment, and to top it all off, he demonstrated how unprofessional he was by telling the intern in the room, right in front of me, that he'd "f***ed up" his life and proceeded to go into a rant about how insurance companies have ruined medical care. Though his rudeness and disrespect turned my stomach enough that I knew I never wanted to have to see his face again, my decision was cemented by him giving me absolutely no option to self-inject, which would mean I'd have to come back to his office twice a week (Who has time for that?), and his staff telling me the minimum wait time for future appointments would be 2 hours every time. I honestly don't know how he's practicing if he treats all his patients like he treated me, but I'm willing to bet his cisgender patients aren't treated with nearly as much disrespect. Still, with how inconvenient his waiting times are, I assume anyone who sees him on a regular basis is desperate. Overall, he is a terrible doctor for trans patients, and I urge others seeking HRT to keep searching. You will find someone better (as if Dr. Fariss sets the bar very high).

flag | Submitted August 25, 2015

I called asking for an update on my results, and the only nurse working there refused to tell me or mail me any info on the matter. I just wanted to know if sitting in their lobby for 2.5 hours again and dealing with her rude attitude and comments, and paying another specialist bill was all worth it. Just to tell me if they found something ... Then I would have made time to come back in. She didn't even want to transfer the records to my family doc, so we called the receptionist one time (both the nurse and receptionist seem to manage the front at times) and she was so friendly and gladly had them transfered over. So, I found out I had a problem with one of my organs. Sometimes its okay to not worry about how much you can sponge out of people money wise BUT to actually help a person get healthy again and DO YOUR JOB RIGHT. I would drive 100 miles to go to another specialist than to see this unhelpful lady again. I get they deal with a lot too, but don't get into this profession in the first place if your you plan on leaving out the "care" in caregiver... The other two staff ladies were very sweet, and the doc was just average...

flag | Submitted July 16, 2015

Wait time is unreal. I have a long drive anyway on top of having to wait over an hour past appointment time to see the doctor. And the nurse is so rude and hateful. Totally unexpected. I called for a refill of meds and she was very sarcastic. I have only saw this doctor one time and I'm already searching for a different doctor.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2015

Very knowledgeable -- listened to my thoughts, ordered tests as needed and followed up promptly. I recommend Dr. Fariss as the best in the Valley.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2011

NOT GOOD AT ALL, DOES NOT GIVE HOOT ABOUT HIS PATIENS.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2008

WOW! I had absolutely no expectations walking into Dr. Fariss's office today. I've been completely dismissed by doctor's for months now. Dr. Fariss listened to me and was very prompt in getting the right tests for me. I feel very confident with the health care he'll be providing me!

flag | Submitted August 27, 2007

Excellent physician, recommend highly

flag | Submitted June 28, 2006

Dr. Bruce L. Fariss's Credentials

• University Of Virginia School Of Medicine (Grad. 1961)