Ratings for Dr. Philippe E. Chanel

Dr. Chanel - Where to begin? He helped me so very much. I saw Dr. Chanel in my college years, when I suffered from severe depression. He also helped me accept, embrace, and work through my emotions when my mother died a few years later. I will never forget how much he helped me.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2011

I too saw this guy as inpatient. Was like talking to a brick wall - no empathy for patients. You were on your own. Chanel is no good.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2008

In the late 80s, Dr. Chanel was a great support to me during the end of a painful marriage and my husband's subsequent suicide. I found him compassionate, insightful, steady when I was unmoored, and able to offer (gently) a long view when I was mired in the trauma of the immeditate crises. I read here, sadly, another person's painful experience with him some years earlier, and can only say that my four years of work with him were a blessing.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2006

I was an inpatient for 6 mos. in Sheppard Pratt in the early 70s (suicidal). Chanel was my psychiatrist. He was cold, uncommunicative, critical. STARED at me. Did NOTHING to relax me or encourage me to talk. Chanel was unaware that I had suffered trauma and needed to be warmly "drawn out", not stared at. I entered with 1% self-confidence, left the hospital crushed and with 0% self-confidence. Chanel remarked in passing, he thought childbirth pain was "good for women." He told patients not to criticize the Hospital. He "dressed down" his secretary. Chanel was so cold, who needed air-conditioning? We had no insurance and my father had to sell land and give up his cherished retirement dreams to pay that **** and mediocre hospital. My father soon got cancer, was humiliated in the VA hospital, suffered excruciating torture, and died at 60. Dr. Chanel hurt us all.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2006

Dr. Philippe E. Chanel's Credentials

• Univ De Lausanne, Fac De Med, Lausanne, Switzerland (Grad. 1970)